Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9095027 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12460 on: October 17, 2013, 09:13:48 pm »
  Hiya BetterMost friends.

Today was the day that my bank switched from Sovereign Bank to Santander Bank.   Got online at work and had to change my email signature,  and my voicemail message.  ;D

Work went well, and had an easy evening.  Tomorrow is Friday and pay day.  ;D

No big plans for Sunday, Saturday is my niece's baby shower.  She's currently 35 weeks pregnant.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12461 on: October 17, 2013, 11:51:47 pm »
I had not heard of Santander bank (they do not have branches in Australia or NZ) until I stayed overnight in Santander in 2011 before catching the ferry from Spain to England. Then I began to see them everywhere.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #12462 on: October 18, 2013, 06:46:28 am »

I'm happy you babbled!  ;D

Yeah Chrissie......Babbling is cool......especially on here......I do it all the time.....sometimes I think this forum should be called "Babblemost"..... ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12463 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:32 am »
  Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!  It's Friday, and payday! 

Do you all have good plans for the weekend?  My Sunday is open, Saturday is my niece Shana's baby shower.  I'll need to get a gift card for her!

I had not heard of Santander bank (they do not have branches in Australia or NZ) until I stayed overnight in Santander in 2011 before catching the ferry from Spain to England. Then I began to see them everywhere.

They were looking for a way to break into the American market, so they merged with Sovereign.  For a while we had a dual logo and were "Sovereign/Santander", and as of yesterday, the Sovereign went away and now we're "Santander".

Yeah Chrissie......Babbling is cool......especially on here......I do it all the time.....sometimes I think this forum should be called "Babblemost"..... ::)

:laugh:

So, should we have a Tower of Babblemost?  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12464 on: October 19, 2013, 10:17:26 pm »
  Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yup!  It's laundry night here.  I have chores I need to get done tomorrow,  so I have to get the laundry done today.  The last load is in the dryer now, and mom and dad have gone to bed.

Today was my niece Shana's baby shower, and it was done very well.  kudos to my sister-in-law and niece for pulling it off.  Buffet-style meal with Italian food, music, cookies and cake, open bar, and Shana and Derek got a lot of gifts.  A baby spa, car seat, stroller, crib, diapers, clothes, bibs, "baby care kit" (think like a first aid kit, but for babies) and numerous gift cards.

I gave her a gift card to Babies R Us, and a figuring of a guardian angel holding a baby.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12465 on: October 20, 2013, 06:18:09 am »
Glad you had a nice time, Chuck.

I don't know much about baby showers, we don't have them.

As I understand it you celebrate the baby before it's actually born?

Does everybody do that, or is it just some people?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12466 on: October 20, 2013, 01:05:45 pm »
  Hiya BetterMost friends.

Oh, sleeping in is good!

Nice, quiet Sunday here.  I did my laundry yesterday, and can now just spend the day doing what I please.  ;D   

The leaves are really starting to change colors here, and it's really looking and feeling like autumn now.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12467 on: October 20, 2013, 01:17:20 pm »
Glad you had a nice time, Chuck.

I don't know much about baby showers, we don't have them.

As I understand it you celebrate the baby before it's actually born?

Does everybody do that, or is it just some people?

*from Wikipedia*

In some countries, a baby shower is a way to celebrate the pending or recent birth of a child by presenting gifts to the parents at a party.

The term shower is often assumed to mean that the expectant mother is "showered" with gifts. The related custom bridal shower may have derived its name from the custom in Victorian times for the presents to be put inside a parasol, which when opened would "shower" the bride-to-be with gifts.

Traditionally, baby showers were given only for the family's first child, and only women were invited. The original intent was for women to share wisdom and lessons on the art of becoming a mother.[citation needed] Over time, it has become common to hold them for subsequent or adopted children. It is not uncommon for a parent to have more than one baby shower, such as one with friends and another with co-workers.

Baby showers are an alternative to other European celebrations of nativity such as Baptisms. However, these can tend to be less materialistic as what is commonly known as a baby shower in the twenty-first century.

According to etiquette authority Miss Manners, because the party centers on gift-giving, the baby shower is typically arranged and hosted by a close friend rather than a member of the family, since it is considered rude for families to beg for gifts on behalf of their members.  However, this custom varies by culture or region and in some it is expected and customary for a close female family member to host the baby shower, often the grandmother.

There is no set rule for when or where showers are to be held. The number of guests and style of entertainment are determined by the host. Most hosts invite only women to baby showers, although there is no firm rule requiring this. If the shower is held after the baby's birth, then the baby is usually brought, too. Showers typically include food but not a full meal.

Some hosts arrange baby-themed activities, such as games to taste baby foods or to guess the baby's birth date or sex.

Guests bring small gifts for the expectant mother. Typical gifts related to babies include diapers, blankets, baby bottles, clothes, and toys. It is common to open the gifts during the party.

A possible decoration or gift is the baby diaper cake. To make one, diapers and other typical baby supplies are arranged to look like a tiered wedding cake.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #12468 on: October 20, 2013, 03:49:22 pm »
Ok, thanks Chuck (and wiki  ;D)

It all makes sense, to celebrate a new baby in way or the other is probably a tradition everywhere.

The only part I don't get is the fact that you celebrate the baby before it's safely arrived.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #12469 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:49 am »
The only part I don't get is the fact that you celebrate the baby before it's safely arrived.

Yeah, I find that strange, too. After the baby is born, you celebrate the new life as much as its safe arrival.
Celebrating beforehand is like jinxinging it, bringing on bad luck.

You don't say congrats to someome before their birthday.
You don't say good luck to someone involved in a stage production.
You don't celebrate a new baby before it's born.

In regard to gifts, it makes sense to get the equipment before you need it of course.