Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 546889 times)

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1470 on: January 23, 2007, 06:18:58 pm »
SPOILER

Now I'm going to be provocative here. I am probably the only one who thinks Ennis is being a bit precious here about his physical inviolability. Women have had to put up with gropes and fugitive kisses since the dawn of time. It won't hurt Ennis to get grabbed occasionally. He working in a gay bar for heaven's sake not a sunday school dance hall. And anyway didn't we get the impression that Ennis' constant urge to give Wayne a spanking masked a secret attraction!

Ennis should get over it and Wayne should get an invite.

CONTINUING SPOILERS

You're absolutely right: Women have been victimized by groping and fugitive kisses for a very long time. When women slap, kick, bite, and otherwise discourage those who violate them, I say, "You go, girl!"

Ennis should not tolerate this behavior, and he probably could not enjoy the party if Wayne were invited. Worse, if Wayne is in fact showing early signs of AIDS - related dementia, he should be pitied, probably hospitalized, and cared for with compassion, but he should not be permitted to inflict his illness on other people in any way.

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1471 on: January 23, 2007, 06:35:39 pm »
...but providing support and help does not mean an automatic invitation to a wedding reception.

Leslie

Yes, that's what I've been struggling with.  I think we can all agree that we feel terribly, terribly sorry for Wayne.  But that is a completely separate issue from the reception and being invited to the reception.  The party is supposed to be a "small circle of friends."   So the question is, does Wayne qualify as a friend?  I think Ennis would say "no."  Would Ellery would say "yes"? I don't know the answer to that question.  I haven't got a handle on what Ellery's relationship was like with Wayne way back when.  Wasn't Bill pretty much running the bar when Wayne was the tender?  Did Ellery have that much interaction with him?  I don't know. . . I guess Ellery is the only one who can answer that question.

And, yeah, David, I remember that whole Rock Hudson/Linda Evans thing, too- and that crossed my mind.

CONTINUING SPOILERS

You're absolutely right: Women have been victimized by groping and fugitive kisses for a very long time. When women slap, kick, bite, and otherwise discourage those who violate them, I say, "You go, girl!"

Right on, Fred!  And, again - completely separate issue from the reception!

Love reading all these great comments!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1472 on: January 23, 2007, 06:43:16 pm »
I vote Wayne gets an invite for mostly selfish reasons ..
he is a hoot and he is mostly entertaining to me!  :P So sue me ..  ;D

Jokes aside .. E&E have the right to choose who they have at their reception and if they decide Wayne doesn't get an invite, so be it .. (although I'm sure he'll try to sneak in..! lol)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1473 on: January 23, 2007, 06:55:13 pm »

well i must admit, i have a dual idea on this subject..at first i said i thought
 wayne should be invited...he is a lonely person, and always somewhat of an outsider
 to the ones he wants to be part of the group. with.  he is however a loose cannon
 and has been warned by lauren,,, he was told in no uncertain terms to behave.
 where on he continues to behave in a mannor that isnt what he has agreed to.
 now he can no longer be trusted to act appropiately, therefor has to be considered
 to be unacceptable at the reception...something he has caused....whatever the
 reason. 

Beautiful mind

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1474 on: January 23, 2007, 07:04:09 pm »
Going out on a limb here (and I'm quite ready for someone to come along and saw it off!), but I'm beginning to detect a gender-specific division over the big question of 'Should Wayne get an invite?' [For the record, I'll state my view very simply - No. He's not a friend of Ennis; Ennis has final say of who should come, so why would he invite Wayne?]

I notice though, that most of the people here who say 'invite Wayne' are women and those who say 'don't invite him' are men, insofar as it is possible to tell at all. Is this because women are more compassionate, forgiving and Edna-like in their treatment of people with dysfunctional qualities, wheras men generally are more hard-nosed, dogmatic and Ennis-like, basically saying 'I don't like you, you sumbitch, keep well away from me.' ? Given that its going to be a very-male-dominant party, and that most or all who will be there dislike Wayne as much as Ennis does, I think the men's opinion would be the one that matters most.  

I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1475 on: January 23, 2007, 07:42:15 pm »
Going out on a limb here (and I'm quite ready for someone to come along and saw it off!),

There will be no limb chopping off here Richard .... I think ..  :P

Guess we'll all have to wait and see what Louise decides to do with Good Ol' Wayne!

I must add, Louise, the Red Stallion chapters are amazing! 
I can't help but picture the comings and goings, the facial expressions happening with all the chit-chat.
Great work Ms L!  ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1476 on: January 23, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »
oh wow, what a stir!

I guess that means a chord was struck!  Stay tuned for more E & E and J & N and N & R and G & P and ... okay now it's starting to look like the railroad names in a game of Monopoly!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1477 on: January 23, 2007, 09:51:35 pm »
Now that we have some new customers in the RS, will we need to update our gallery? Perhaps this sexy guy could serve for a 'cleaned up' Nate Dawson?

I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1478 on: January 23, 2007, 10:12:33 pm »
eeeeeek!

hell - lo!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #1479 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:55 am »
Wayne is Wayne.   Fictional or not, we all know someone like him.   They speak their mind and often get in trouble over it.      The fact he is sick is not the point.   He had a sharp tongue before remember? 

We need to remember the timeline.   Back in the early 80s when movie star Rock Hudson was revealed to have AIDS, his co-stars were furious.  Especially Linda Evans who had kissing scenes with him.   Back in the early days nobody knew if you could get it by kissing even.    Of course today we know that you can't.    Not that I think Louise meant for Ennis to fear that.  He just doesn't like Wayne, pure and simple.   He can feel sorry for him, but that still doesn't mean he has to like his behavior.

Yes, it is sad that Wayne is sick.   But he isn't helping endear himself to the other bar patrons let alone the staff.    Why would E&E even consider inviting him to the reception?   That would make no sense.   

Exactly right David, and lets not forget the effort it took to get Ennis to agree to the reception in the first place. If Wanye was invited it would ruin it for him. Someone else said the women have had to put up with men groping them for years. Quite right they have, but would you invite the person who had groped you to your party? ermm I dont think so. Wayne is an arsehole. He cant be allowed to come, it will ruin everything for everyone.