Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185870 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2130 on: July 24, 2006, 10:55:31 pm »
Your picture was nice too, David!  E and E will be in bed soon enough, though I doubt Ennis' back will look quite so perfect tonight...lol.
 ;)

What pic is this?  It is no longer available!!
hey David, what pic did you post there?  ;D

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2131 on: July 25, 2006, 12:03:51 am »
I wrote for those who, identifiying too closely with Ennis, and feeling a gaping wound left at the end of the film or story, have to complete the story with a plausible future outcome for Ennis and a step by step resolution of his losses and pains, and doing so in the context of a new, healthier love relationship with another man.  This audience is people who need to have a mirror for the kind of change they personally would like to accomplish for themselves - and not everyone wants to do that, and as we well know, not every fan fiction reader wants to see that unfold in a story. 

Are we are Ennises who want to achieve change in our lives despite our tendency to maintain the status quo or maybe we are a combination of the two - Jacks who love the Ennis within and can make that leap of faith that he can change?

Another deep question. Would Ennis really prefer Ellery to wear a burqua while out in public?

PS Am now back home from my travels and jetlagged. It's winter again but at least I have my own PC at last!

PPS I will still be visiting other dc threads including my beloved symbolism thread.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:07:22 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2132 on: July 25, 2006, 12:09:38 am »
What pic is this?  It is no longer available!!
hey David, what pic did you post there?  ;D

Lucise - it was a blond guy and a brown haired guy in bed together.  Both wearing denims.  Brown haired guy sitting with his back to the headboard, with his shirt off.  Blond haired guy sort of sitting in his lap, arms stretched over his head, midst taking off his t-shirt...  not that I looked at the picture for a long time or anything...

(I just realized the 'real me' would have said - "both wearing jeans" - that was me doing Laramie speak up there... hee hee.)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2133 on: July 25, 2006, 12:11:42 am »
Uh, what's a burqua, and how embarrassed should I be for having to ask the question?
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2134 on: July 25, 2006, 12:15:20 am »
Uh, what's a burqua, and how embarrassed should I be for having to ask the question?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2135 on: July 25, 2006, 12:17:15 am »
Lucise - it was a blond guy and a brown haired guy in bed together.  Both wearing denims.  Brown haired guy sitting with his back to the headboard, with his shirt off.  Blond haired guy sort of sitting in his lap, arms stretched over his head, midst taking off his t-shirt...  not that I looked at the picture for a long time or anything...

woowee!  ;D
Errr...David, could you PM me that pic?  8)  hehe ...  Cheers...

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2136 on: July 25, 2006, 12:30:20 am »
Next question - how on earth do Ennis and Ellery know what a burqua is?

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2137 on: July 25, 2006, 01:10:18 am »
Next question - how on earth do Ennis and Ellery know what a burqua is?

They don't. But if Ennis ever finds out, I'm sure he'll demand that Ellery wear it in public!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2138 on: July 25, 2006, 01:37:34 am »
They don't. But if Ennis ever finds out, I'm sure he'll demand that Ellery wear it in public!

No, he wouldn't ..lol!
He just doesn't want Ellery exposing his "French Territories" to the world ... hehe ;D
All Ennis is trying to say is:

;)

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2139 on: July 25, 2006, 01:41:44 am »
Maybe. But only the other day he told him to put a shirt on before going into the kitchen. What is next I ask.