Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185473 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6270 on: November 05, 2006, 04:21:54 am »
I think another reason Ennis flew into a violent rage - apart from pent up rage over Jack and his propensity for losing it - is that fear can be perceived as un-manning if I can use such a term. Ennis felt shamed by his fear and he took the opportunity to get in some punches probably in part to restore his sense of masculinity.

Of course these days men are learning not to equate violence with manliness but this was 20 years ago. Even so I think male pride will always be a force to contend with!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6271 on: November 05, 2006, 07:42:07 am »
Mornin peeps. Mornin June. ;) :-* Well those blasted fireworks went on and on and on for ages. Some of em were so loud I,m sure they were bombs lol. I saw summat weird last night in the sky. 5 lights, in perfect formation, moving really slowly across the sky and then they just went higher and higher and vanished!! :o :o It was a clear night last night and a full moon too. Very strange. Oh, something to cheer you all up. Now we are up to chapter 75, you know what this means? Only 25 chapters left. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6272 on: November 05, 2006, 08:06:01 am »
well now... um.... I said I would promise that I would go to 100 chapters. I didn't promise I would end it by 100 chapters.  That depends upon the story arc.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6273 on: November 05, 2006, 08:53:16 am »
Woooooweeeeee, thats what I like to hear lol. So, whats the next book going to be called then? ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6274 on: November 05, 2006, 09:04:13 am »
I didn't say I was writing a new book!  No new book!  That isnt in the cards.  I just didn't promise I was going to cut this one off at chapter 100.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6275 on: November 05, 2006, 09:40:56 am »
The Laramie Saga's final chapter......

Ennis wakes up rubbing his eyes.   He notices that he is shivering.    He sits up and notices that he is in a tent.   

Huh?  Am i out camping again with Ellery?  he thinks to himself.

He steps out of the tent and looks over towards the campfire.    A figure turns to greet him.

"Good morning Cowboy" he says.  It is Jack Twist!

Ennis nearly faints.   He slaps his face to see if this is a dream.  (slap)

"Whatter ya doing?"  Jack says.

"Am I really here Jack?"   

"Ya sure are."  So are the horses and the trucks."

Ennis looks over and sees Jacks last truck.   

Jack says:  "Ennis you were tossing and turning like you have something on yer mind.  You finally looked peaceful so I let ya sleep in.  You ready to get some something off of yer chest?"

Ennis then realizes that the Laramie months were just a dream.   Jack is alive.  It is still 1983.    He has been given a second chance yet again.

Ennis walks over to Jack by the campfire and gives him a dozy embrace.  This time facing him.

Ennis grabs both sides of Jacks face and gives him a warm kiss. "I love you Jack."

Jacks eyes are closed and he begins tremblling.   

"Now I must be dreaming" he says.

"Nope.  I'm finally awake.   Ya think we have time to pack up and drive to Lightning Flat?    We have some talking to do with your Ma and Pop".

« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 09:45:35 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6276 on: November 05, 2006, 09:57:48 am »
Mornin peeps. Mornin June. ;) :-* Well those blasted fireworks went on and on and on for ages. Some of em were so loud I,m sure they were bombs lol. I saw summat weird last night in the sky. 5 lights, in perfect formation, moving really slowly across the sky and then they just went higher and higher and vanished!! :o :o It was a clear night last night and a full moon too. Very strange. Oh, something to cheer you all up. Now we are up to chapter 75, you know what this means? Only 25 chapters left. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Methinks you may have had one too many brandy's last night Souxi!!!  ;D

:-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6277 on: November 05, 2006, 10:21:10 am »
er noooo... that is not how it is going to end.

Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/145149.html  "Chapter 76:  Complicated"

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6278 on: November 05, 2006, 10:33:45 am »
Methinks you may have had one too many brandy's last night Souxi!!!  ;D

:-*

Flamin cheek, I wasnt pissed. ;D I,m tellin ya I saw em. I knew you wouldnt beleive me lol. ;D My 8 year old son saw em too. He thought it was well spooky. :)

yb

« Reply #6279 on: November 05, 2006, 10:39:10 am »
er noooo... that is not how it is going to end.

Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/145149.html  "Chapter 76:  Complicated"

This is a great chapter.  Ennis of all people to give Dupree advice, it may turn out that Dupree is not queer but as Ennis has been in the same confused state when he was young, he's the most suitable person for Dupree to seek advice.  He really has come a long way and be able to help others.