Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 554858 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
"Q" is Quiet
« Reply #2370 on: November 12, 2007, 02:08:38 pm »
Something that Ellery likes about Colson:

“Cause I like you. An yer a quiet, decent, good lookin man and there ain’t hardly any a those stumblin around here nowadays. And you ain’t eighteen tryin a be twenty-one neither. Is that enough?”
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'R' is Right hook
« Reply #2371 on: November 12, 2007, 02:36:23 pm »
As Bill Early knows, Colson has a good one.

Bill, not a good judge of people, lunged at Colson once more, just as Ellery let out a “Fuck Bill just fuckin go—”and Colson hit him in the face with a balled fist as Bill’s arm came around, knocking him backward but not enough to make him fall again. Bill outweighed Colson by a significant margin, but he wasn’t in the same class as far as bar fighters went. Bill staggered back, hand on his quickly purpling cheek.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
"S" is "Brad Sevigny"
« Reply #2372 on: November 12, 2007, 04:52:31 pm »

One of the many villians in the Greenlea Tales, who tried to throw Ellery off the scent by getting his brother planted in the Sheriff's department and flirting with Ellery during his interview.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
"T" is Theory
« Reply #2373 on: November 12, 2007, 08:11:14 pm »
Ellery has a lot of them, but this is his favorite (and mine):

“Like bein teenagers,” Ellery said, watching him. “Get it on like mad an an hour later feel like doin it all again.”

Colson nodded. “Yeah. Wonder why that is.”

“Well I can think a why, but ya might not like my theory.”

Colson set down his pizza. “Shoot.”

Ellery plucked a pepperoni off the top of his piece and chewed on it thoughtfully. “We’re fallin in love.”
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
'U' is Ubiqitous
« Reply #2374 on: November 13, 2007, 02:47:53 am »
like Ellery's notepads. A new word for me.  :)

He went to the bedroom and gathered up his shirt, pants and underwear, then picked up his socks, and set them down on the bed. Then he picked up a pencil and one of Ellery’s ubiquitous notepads, and scribbled on it. “Got ta come back for the sox.” Then he went out to the living room, putting his hand on the doorknob, and turned.

“You take care,” he said, and Ellery moved close, slipped a square business card into his hand.

“It’s got my address, office an home, and that’s a pager number there. It’ll ring my phone wherever I happen ta be. Call me if ya want ta.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry ice cream
« Reply #2375 on: November 13, 2007, 07:38:12 am »
which Ellery and Colson bought for dessert at their first barbecue.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
"W" is Wilson Brand
« Reply #2376 on: November 13, 2007, 05:18:29 pm »
The man responsible for Colson and Ellery's first meeting!

Ya took Pete in to wash up and he said that Wilson Brand had beaten him and thrown him down the stairs."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
'X' is Sex
« Reply #2377 on: November 14, 2007, 03:20:38 am »
“You matter ta me, too Colson. With or without the sex. Just bein here, holdin you, is more lovin than I ever thought I would see again.”

*sigh*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
"Y" is Yelled
« Reply #2378 on: November 14, 2007, 02:31:45 pm »
Colson had to do more than yell for Bill to get the message:

Colson said, teeth clenched. “Yer the one getting in the way, an Ellery don’t want you here, so git in yer truck and git.”

Bill rose to his feet slowly, holding his hands out as if to ward Colson off, and turned to Ellery, keeping a wary eye on his rapidly clenching fists and drawn arm. “El, you ain’t gonna let this —”

“Git!” Colson yelled, not looking at Ellery.

Bill, not a good judge of people, lunged at Colson once more, just as Ellery let out a “Fuck Bill just fuckin go—”and Colson hit him in the face with a balled fist as Bill’s arm came around, knocking him backward but not enough to make him fall again. Bill outweighed Colson by a significant margin, but he wasn’t in the same class as far as bar fighters went. Bill staggered back, hand on his quickly purpling cheek.
~~~~~~~~~~

Not a good judge of people, and a slow learner to boot! 

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
'Z' is Zero
« Reply #2379 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:25 pm »
Another significant statement by Ellery.  :)

The other man propped himself up on an elbow, and then began to speak, hand still hovering close to Colson’s shoulder in the darkness. “I would have zero interest in you if you could walk away from a man you cared about for half a your whole life and hop inta bed with me without a second thought. Did that occur ta you? Everything about you says you had some great tragedy hangin over you. I been a police detective for almost 15 years already and if it’s one thing I understand is people. I was ready to wait it out, have some scotches, exchange phone numbers, meet up, shoot some pool or fish till you finally dug it out, see if you might make a go of it again, but its you jumped the gun. I ain’t sorry yer grievin him. Makes you a damn sight more human than...well...the aforementioned people I keep aforementioning.”