Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2597692 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"S" is Space Cowboys (2000)
« Reply #4460 on: July 19, 2008, 12:53:02 pm »
Donald Sutherland played Jerry O'Neill in "Space Cowboys."

From IMDb:  In 1958, four hot shot test pilots seem certain to be the first men to go into outer space. However, the back-stabbing leader of their organization disbands them to prevent their involvement in the then forming NASA and labels them as non-team players. Flash forward to the present, the foursome are now living a docile life. The electrical engineer (Clint Eastwood has a pleasant retired life in a desert home with his wife (Barbara Babcock). The pilot (Tommy Lee Jones), who had a penchant for pushing the test planes to their limits, is now a daredevil crop-duster. The navigator (James Garner) is a Baptist minister. The designer (Donald Sutherland) is a womanizing roller-coaster designer. Their former boss (James Cromwell) is now a mission leader in Nasa and still as despicable as in his younger days. It is here that the main story begins. It seems that an old Russian "communications" satellite is about to crash back into the Earth's atmosphere and somehow American technology designed by Eastwood's character has ended up as the guiding system. Of course, because of the old technology, only the original team can save the day.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"T" is Threshold (1981)
« Reply #4461 on: July 19, 2008, 01:44:14 pm »
Donald Sutherland plays Dr. Vrain.

Plot: The celebrated heart surgeon Dr. Vrain supports the research of the offbeat scientist Aldo Gehring, who is inventing an artificial heart. Dr. Vrain performs the first artificial human heart transplant against the advice of the Ethics Committee.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"U" is The Uninvited (1988)
« Reply #4462 on: July 19, 2008, 06:06:28 pm »
George Kennedy stars in this film and also costars with Donald Sutherland in The Dirty Dozen.

IMDB: A bunch of young people are invited to a Caribbean cruise on a gangster's yacht, to distract the attention of the authorities. Unfortunately, a mutant cat which escaped from a test laboratory also gets on board, and kills most of the passengers.

Uninvited must surely rank as one of the baddest movies ever made. And in the same time it's also one of the most entertaining Horror/ Or-whatever-you-wanna-call-it-movie. Everything that can go wrong will go wrong. it simply has everything. A small orange cat which has a monster inside, very bad special effects (Small toy boats, handpuppets, badly coloured blood to name a few. And then there's of course the bad acting, very ridiculous storyline and so forth. Still it's entertainment value is just over the edge. So all in all this movie mixed with a bad hangover, some beers and good friends, it's an unforgettable experience.

Offline Fran

"V" is Virus (1999)
« Reply #4463 on: July 20, 2008, 10:01:52 pm »
Donald Sutherland played Captain Robert Everton in "Virus."

From IMDb:  Tugboat passengers take refuge from a storm in a seemingly abandoned Russian intelligence post. They soon discover that the crew was murdered by aliens who think of humans as a virus that must be exterminated. The storm doesn't go away, and they find themselves stuck with the aliens with only two options: to fight or to die.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"W" is A War Story (1981)
« Reply #4464 on: July 21, 2008, 02:40:45 pm »
Donald Sutherland narrates the story of POWs in the Pacific, held by the Japanese.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Wildcard "X" is Six Degrees of Separation (1993)
« Reply #4465 on: July 21, 2008, 02:44:24 pm »
Donald Sutherland plays Flan in this film "that everyone's heard of but no one has seen." (IMDb)

IMDb trivia:  Will Smith refused to actually kiss Anthony Michael Hall just before their kissing scene so a camera trick was used showing only the back of their heads. In an interview, Smith stated that Denzel Washington advised him not to kiss a man on-screen for it would harm his career. Smith stated that he regretted not going through with it saying "It was very immature on my part."
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 02:54:48 pm by Fran »

Offline oilgun

Comment
« Reply #4466 on: July 21, 2008, 02:47:15 pm »

x

Back just in time to jump on the X, eh!  Where have you been!  :laugh:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: "N" Degrees of Donald Sutherland
« Reply #4467 on: July 21, 2008, 02:52:09 pm »
Back just in time to jump on the X, eh!  Where have you been!  :laugh:

I figure whoever posts the "W" gets first crack at "X".

Sorry, I was traumatized by TDK.   :P

I'm way too old to attend midnight screening of anything.

Offline Fran

"Y" is Younger and Younger (1993)
« Reply #4468 on: July 21, 2008, 02:54:20 pm »
Donald Sutherland played Jonathan Younger in "Younger and Younger."

From IMDb: Found this sleeper on the video shelf a couple of years ago and loved it.  Saw it again recently and still enjoyed it.  An eccentric film, not for your average vegetable-brained young movie viewer.  There is no action, no sex (well, not really), just an absorbing story that rolls out in a leisurely fashion, gradually pulling the viewer into this unique locale.  Sutherland, Davidovitch and even Kellerman are wonderful.  Sutherland must have been delighted to find this role and he made the most of it.  Again, not for everyone, but an intriguing trip into a world most of us will never know, but might like to.

Offline oilgun

"Z" is Zwei Girls vom roten Stern (1967)
« Reply #4469 on: July 21, 2008, 02:56:14 pm »
Lilli Palmer was in this film and, the same year, starred in OEDIPUS THE KING with Donald Sutherland!

From IMDb: This movie was once broadcast on German TV - at a very late hour - and since one of my favourite actresses, Lilli Palmer, appears in it I decided to tape it. I'm so glad I did! Overall it's a pretty silly film, the story is certainly no masterpiece but I really enjoyed all the typical 1960's views. The buildings, the cars, the card system that picks Olga and Anja as the perfect couple to deal with the problem. The slapstick comedy group looks as if they're somewhere dragged in, but this is a minor case of Europudding so who cares. A funny film in my view, perhaps not in the way the makers meant it to be, but I had fun watching it albeit over thirty years after production. That probably helped too. Seven points out of ten, but... that's my personal opinion!