Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166137 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5690 on: October 19, 2006, 06:57:41 am »
So did Y'all watch Hugh on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

I did and boy was I disappointed.    He just seems to be so........not Ellery.  :-\

What do you mean? He's Ellery only when he has long hair .This is Hugh as Ellery ;D.

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5691 on: October 19, 2006, 07:15:10 am »
So did Y'all watch Hugh on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno?

I did and boy was I disappointed.    He just seems to be so........not Ellery.  :-\

In what way, David? I never watch the Tonight show so give us a recap, please?

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5692 on: October 19, 2006, 07:15:35 am »
No, I don't mean about the hair.   I can even imagine Ellery with short hair.    The 1980s was the "big hair" decade, but eventually people did go back to the short clean cut look.   OMG can you see Wes falling off his chair if Ellery walked into the Sheriffs office with a regulation haircut?   LOL

No, the real Hugh just was so unlike Ellery in every way.  Aussie accent,  typical straight guy behavior and I was having trouble imagining him turning all that off and then transforming into Ellery in the future major motion picture with Heath.   ;D

LouiseV has just written the Ellery character so vividly that he has developed a personality all his own.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:18:40 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5693 on: October 19, 2006, 07:17:39 am »

No, the real Hugh just was so unlike Ellery in every way.  Aussie accent,  typical straight guy behavior and I was having trouble imagining him turning all that off and then transforming into Ellery in the future major picture with Heath.   ;D

Describe "typical straight guy behavior." Jo was saying the other day (in chat) that there are rumors about his sexuality...that his wife is a beard, etc. It is probably because of his role in "The Boy From Oz." But I am curious what you saw on the show that defined him as not gay to you.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5694 on: October 19, 2006, 07:29:34 am »
No, I don't mean about the hair.   I can even imagine Ellery with short hair.    The 1980s was the "big hair" decade, but eventually people did go back to the short clean cut look.   OMG can you see Wes falling off his chair if Ellery walked into the Sheriffs office with a regulation haircut?   LOL

No, the real Hugh just was so unlike Ellery in every way.  Aussie accent,  typical straight guy behavior and I was having trouble imagining him turning all that off and then transforming into Ellery in the future major motion picture with Heath.   ;D

LouiseV has just written the Ellery character so vividly that he has developed a personality all his own.   

I understand your point. I haven't seen much of Hugh other than in pictures. He isn't that popular in Spain but I once saw a clip of an interview with him on your tube and noticed his voice is not as Louise described Ellery's voice. It's not that deep. I told Louise once that when I read the chapters I don't picture Ellery as copy of Hugh, but as a man who looks like Hugh Jackman, but it's not quite him. I picture Ellery with a sweet smile like Hugh's, but much thinner and lankier, and darker hair. 
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline David

« Reply #5695 on: October 19, 2006, 07:37:31 am »
Describe "typical straight guy behavior." Jo was saying the other day (in chat) that there are rumors about his sexuality...that his wife is a beard, etc. It is probably because of his role in "The Boy From Oz." But I am curious what you saw on the show that defined him as not gay to you.

L

Some of us have "GayDar".  But we also have "StraightDar" so to speak.     I didn't get any gay vibes from him.   But maybe I'm being too judgemental.   It was a short interview.   

We all must realize that we cannot interpet an actors personailty from the movies he makes.    I was very impressed with Hugh in the X-men movies.   I could then easily see him as Ellery.  But after watching him joke around with Jay Leno and constantly talk about his kids it just totally screamed "I'm not gay" to me.     Not that there is anything wrong with that.   <insert Seinfeld pun here>   ::)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5696 on: October 19, 2006, 07:41:50 am »
Some of us have "GayDar".  But we also have "StraightDar" so to speak.     I didn't get any gay vibes from him.   But maybe I'm being too judgemental.   It was a short interview.   

We all must realize that we cannot interpet an actors personailty from the movies he makes.    I was very impressed with Hugh in the X-men movies.   I could then easily see him as Ellery.  But after watching him joke around with Jay Leno and constantly talk about his kids it just totally screamed "I'm not gay" to me.     Not that there is anything wrong with that.   <insert Seinfeld pun here>   ::)

This is interesting. Louise told us in the chat that she read about some man who worked with Hugh in the Broadway show about Peter Allen, and thought Hugh was "a relentless heterosexual" or something like that.

Offline David

« Reply #5697 on: October 19, 2006, 07:49:49 am »
Yeah,  sometimes guys tend to say "my wife" this or that way to much.  Almost as if to proclaim to the world their heterosexuality.

My best friend often does that.   I once stopped him and said:"why don't you just say Sarah?  I know her name!  I was at the Wedding remember?  Duh!"

He then, paused, then said, "sorry, just a habit I have from talking to coworkers."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5698 on: October 19, 2006, 08:38:31 am »
Interesting. I tend to do the same thing, ie, say "my husband," not Tony. Not sure why, but I do remember that I was probably married for a good two years before I was totally comfortable with saying "my husband."

Leslie

Offline David

« Reply #5699 on: October 19, 2006, 11:06:21 am »
Interesting. I tend to do the same thing, ie, say "my husband," not Tony. Not sure why, but I do remember that I was probably married for a good two years before I was totally comfortable with saying "my husband."

Leslie

I think that is understandable when you are talking to people who don't know that Tony is your husbands name.   For example, a coworkers says: "Do you know anyone afraid of spiders?"   Reply: "OMG!  my husband hates them!"

But,  if your best friend says: "How was your weekend?"

Reply: "Great! Tony and I took a drive to see the fall foliage". 

See the difference?     ;)