Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131790 times)

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6180 on: November 03, 2006, 07:51:17 pm »
SPOILER

Wel, young Larry is going to be even less fond of Ellery now that his lover has beaten him into an unconscious pulp.

I was just wondering, could Ennis get charged with assault for this? Defending ones person or home is one thing, but beating someone up to that extent would be against the law wouldn't it?

Karen

P.S. Louise that look would be very popular down at the bar - maybe with the electric blue cowboy boots  ;D

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6181 on: November 03, 2006, 07:52:47 pm »
Believe me, I am very proud of myself on this.   ;D

LOL! well you should be, I'm impressed! I can never remember anything!  ::)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6182 on: November 03, 2006, 07:56:04 pm »
No, my legal resource tells me that defending  home supersedes assault.  A vandal in the process of breaking windows, if he gets beaten to a pulp by the inhabitant, has little claim to justice, from a legal perspective.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6183 on: November 03, 2006, 07:58:07 pm »
No, my legal resource tells me that defending  home supersedes assault.  A vandal in the process of breaking windows, if he gets beaten to a pulp by the inhabitant, has little claim to justice, from a legal perspective.

Whew! that's a relief

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6184 on: November 03, 2006, 08:07:49 pm »

Ahh... it's different in the UK, you can use "necessary force" (or something like that) but nothing excessive when defending either your person or your property. There have been a couple of high profile cases because of it.

Glad to her that Ennis isn't at risk. Well, not from the law anyway. Not sure how Ellery's going to react.

Karen

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6185 on: November 03, 2006, 08:09:49 pm »
It is one of those Constitutional things in our Bill of Rights that is reflected in the laws governing trespassing.  A trespasser violates the rights of the propery owner at his own risk, and the trespass supersedes the personal injury the trespasser may suffer from the citizen protecting his home and person.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6186 on: November 03, 2006, 08:14:56 pm »
It is one of those Constitutional things in our Bill of Rights that is reflected in the laws governing trespassing.  A trespasser violates the rights of the propery owner at his own risk, and the trespass supersedes the personal injury the trespasser may suffer from the citizen protecting his home and person.

Well at least your laws are clear, everyone knows where they stand, ours are a bit vague. If someone broke into my house and in my fear and panic I stoved their head in with the iron or stabbed them with a carving knife I could be liable to prosecution on murder, or at least manslaughter, charges.

Karen
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:17:11 pm by Kazza »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6187 on: November 03, 2006, 08:16:15 pm »
I was quoting Ricardo Montalban in his Chevrolet commercial (or whatever car it was.)

That's what I was thinking, too. And it's a made up leather, whatever it is called.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6188 on: November 03, 2006, 08:24:14 pm »
Well at least your laws are clear, everyone knows where they stand, ours are a bit vague. If someone broke into my house and in my fear and panic I stoved their head in with the iron or stabbed them with a carving knife I could be liable to prosecution on murder, or at least manslaughter, charges.

Karen

well yes. but we aren't talking about murder - we're talking about punching a guy out and knocking him unconscious.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6189 on: November 03, 2006, 09:56:37 pm »
That's what I was thinking, too. And it's a made up leather, whatever it is called.

L

Ricardo Montalban used to do those campy Chrysler Cordoba commercials bragging about the fine (albeit optional) Corinthian Leather.      The leather was real, not that fake naugahyde stuff.   

This was before Ricardo starred in Star Trek III, the Wrath of Khan.  Then Chrysler dropped him and switched to using fine "Mark Cross" leather.    ;)