Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131775 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6220 on: November 04, 2006, 11:22:05 am »
okay, LJ is back, and I am typing.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6221 on: November 04, 2006, 11:24:48 am »
okay, LJ is back, and I am typing.

Capital!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6222 on: November 04, 2006, 11:30:31 am »
It is back up  but its very very slow. Takes ages to load the page. :'(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6223 on: November 04, 2006, 11:32:46 am »
For those who want a quicker and more user-friendly fan fiction experience check out

www.zebratta.com

On the main page there is a section now called "Fan Fiction" and "Taking Chances has been fully indexed and interactive!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6224 on: November 04, 2006, 11:54:01 am »
For those who want a quicker and more user-friendly fan fiction experience check out

www.zebratta.com

On the main page there is a section now called "Fan Fiction" and "Taking Chances has been fully indexed and interactive!

Yep I,ve just looked Louise. Brilliant!! Now all we need is the CD Rom, DVD, Book, merchandise,(mugs,posters etc) and we,ll be laughing!! ;) ;) ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6225 on: November 04, 2006, 12:16:24 pm »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/144223.html  "Chapter 73: The Hands of the Law"

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6226 on: November 04, 2006, 01:15:11 pm »
Spoilers.......

]..
;..

I find it very interesting that Wes seems to know a lot more about this situation than anyone else, I also find if interesting that he immediately knows where to locate Esteban Sr.

Looking forward to finding out what he knows, and I don't see Estban sr getting too upset about his son/perp getting knocked over after repeatedly vandalizing property and breaking window/doors.   the kid may be his son, but he is no child---and working for a DA, he knows something of law breaking/enforcement and with his father being in law enforcement too---I see him being some disappointed in the kid before he worries too much about a black eye---the kid got it from a private citizen while he was breaking the law--they may not enjoy his injuries, but I don't see anyone getting too riled up over an adult with bruises.

HAve to admit, Ennis isn't doing anyone any favors going off the deep end though.  And while he doesn't work for Ellery, he also should know about personal responsibility fighting with someone smaller than you.   
But I seriously think Ennis wasn't even really reacting to this kid, I think he was just overreacting to the stress level of NOT KNOWING what was going on with this/who had it in for them and not knowing why.      When he found something out, and had an opportunity to take out the past frustrations, it just came out.     I sense that Ellery is a little disappointed that Ennis wouldn't listen to him better in the heat of battle.   And rightly so.  Ellery is competent to handle the situation withOUT  Ennis' additional add ons with his fists.

I am still not getting LJ to work for comments yet, as it throws me off when I try. LOL so this is just my reaction to the chapter.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:17:36 pm by ranchgal »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6227 on: November 04, 2006, 01:25:58 pm »
thanks for all the comments, RG - and I think you are right, Ellery is disappointed, in part because he got to see just how little influence he has on Ennis when he flies into this kind of rage.  Ellery has a temper - but it doesn't come out very often.  And yes, Wes does know more about the Esteban family.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6228 on: November 04, 2006, 01:29:54 pm »
thanks for all the comments, RG - and I think you are right, Ellery is disappointed, in part because he got to see just how little influence he has on Ennis when he flies into this kind of rage.  Ellery has a temper - but it doesn't come out very often.  And yes, Wes does know more about the Esteban family.

TBH I dont think anyone would have much influence over Ennis once he,d lost his temper. He seems to fly into such a blinding rage that nothing gets through to him, not even Ellery.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #6229 on: November 04, 2006, 01:45:28 pm »
SPOILERS

Spoilers.......

HAve to admit, Ennis isn't doing anyone any favors going off the deep end though.  And while he doesn't work for Ellery, he also should know about personal responsibility fighting with someone smaller than you.   
But I seriously think Ennis wasn't even really reacting to this kid, I think he was just overreacting to the stress level of NOT KNOWING what was going on with this/who had it in for them and not knowing why.      When he found something out, and had an opportunity to take out the past frustrations, it just came out.     I sense that Ellery is a little disappointed that Ennis wouldn't listen to him better in the heat of battle.   And rightly so.  Ellery is competent to handle the situation withOUT  Ennis' additional add ons with his fists.

I am still not getting LJ to work for comments yet, as it throws me off when I try. LOL so this is just my reaction to the chapter.

I think Ennis is reacting to a series of events that have been happening to him since he set a foot in Laramie, especially the kidnapping. In chapter 56 Ellery realizes the following:

Ellery sat back, observing Reynolds with admiration. He knew how to draw out even a disturbed and jumpy Ennis, whose mind was completely fixed upon erasing the hateful words now blazoned in red on the side of his house. He was upset too, but the pettiness of the graffiti, most likely painted by some neighborhood kids who had finally noticed Ennis had moved in and decided to play an early Halloween joke, tempered his anxiety. This was not like getting shot at in front of the Sheriff’s office, or being stalked and assaulted by Worrell. But there was Ennis to think about: Ennis had been kidnapped, and while he hadn’t shown any evidence of being traumatized by his abduction and injuries, his obvious tension and barely restrained anger might be evidence of how shallowly the trauma lay beneath the surface.

To this we have to add the confrontation with Bunny and Julia, and especially the trauma he experienced after being taken by his own father to see the corpse of a dead gay rancher. IMO, Larry Esteban is lucky to be alive.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.