Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166935 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6310 on: November 06, 2006, 05:48:45 am »

Spoiler

Anyway, it really is a great read !!

UM.. did anyone mention a Dupree centric story??  ;D

I mentioned it.  (Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did.)  The Dupree situation is not a simple one, and isn't going to be resolved in a quick series-ending one night stand - for all of you who are concerned about that.  He is a complex character, and an important one, for both of our main characters and for the other people in the story, and for that may need some individual treatment!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6311 on: November 06, 2006, 05:52:12 am »
Louise, me and June would like to volunteer our services to give Jeremy some individual treatment..wouldnt we June? NO problem atall, anything to help..bless him. ;) ;) ;) ;D

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6312 on: November 06, 2006, 05:53:03 am »
Sorry JO, but I think Charles Dance is gross. I much prefer Hugh Laurie, I think he,s sexy. NOT i hasten to add in the same league as our boys, heaven forbid. ::) ::)

Heya guys,

Is Charles Dance a big, middle-aged, red-haired bloke? I'm not sure I know the actor .
Cause if that's him, than he can have the Jeeves part, if Rupert E. ( who is Yummie, btw) is unavailable... Have no idea who Hugh Laurie is..

As long as its not soemone smarmy like... well.. Richard  Hamilton, in which case the Jeeves role would go immediately from "Distinguished attractive older guy" to "Call the police ! child molester "...
 ;D

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6313 on: November 06, 2006, 06:04:36 am »
I mentioned it.  (Maybe I shouldn't have, but I did.)  The Dupree situation is not a simple one, and isn't going to be resolved in a quick series-ending one night stand - for all of you who are concerned about that.  He is a complex character, and an important one, for both of our main characters and for the other people in the story, and for that may need some individual treatment!

Hi Louise!!

So glad you mentioned that... ;D
I don't comment often, but I really dreaded the saga's ending, because I do enjoy it . A lot. Now you've given me hope :-).

Also, I agree that Dupree is a complex character, and IMHO deserves HEAPS of individual treatment (I believe I saw a list of voluntees, a few posts back,  ;) )

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6314 on: November 06, 2006, 06:21:38 am »
you guys all make me smile.  Tell you what:  I will leave the Dupree story arc open to a story treatment after the end of the Saga proper, and that is the best I can promise.  Life after the end of November is a bit uncertain for me, since I am looking for a new contract, so I am not sure when, how, and how much I will be able to devote to the one-off story categories.

But it appears inevitable that there will be some!

And I am delighted (and a bit astonished) to see that traffic has reached another high on the story pages over the past day.  Holy cow, folks!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #6315 on: November 06, 2006, 06:31:34 am »
The relationship between Dupree and Jeeves has really grown on me lately.  But I don’t feel there’s sexual tension between them, I think Dupree treats Jeeves as someone who can give him advices and he feels comfortable with. 

I have said it before but had put it aside, I think Dupree has some feeling towards Ennis but that’s something he was not aware of or has subconsciously ignored due to his loyalty to Ellery.  After reading the last 2 chapters, this feeling about Dupree has surfaced again.  Now that Dupree is beginning to face this question whether he’s straight or gay, he’ll be even more confused and conflicted.  I may be wrong though but that’s okay, this is a very intriguing and interesting part of the story and I look forward to how this will unfold.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6316 on: November 06, 2006, 07:23:15 am »
Of course,   we could have Jeremy go over to see Ennis and Ellery to talk about his "situation".  Then after they knock back a bottle or two, the three of them end up in bed together.    <big evil grin>   ;D

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6317 on: November 06, 2006, 07:44:00 am »

Good morning everyone. As always, I love the discussions here about the latest developments in the saga, and now we seem to be focused on Dupree, who, I agree, is a fantastic and very compelling character.   Louise, I agree with you, Dupree is a very very complex character and I think thats what makes him so appealing. 

I am a little confused about what to think about him, whether he's straight or gay, or bi, or just a bit confused and working in a gay bar has probably brought all this home to him.  My gut feeling is, he's attracted to men, but doesnt have a clue what to do about it.  I certainly dont think he should do any experimenting with Jeeves, he's so not the right person for Dupree's first time (or any time for that matter), but if someone does catch his eye in the Red Stallion, I think he should try and see how it goes.

I do think there is mutal attraction between him and Ennis, although I find it hard to think about that, because I dont want anything or anyone to come between Ennis and Ellery, no matter how much I like Dupree.  He should find his own Ennis.  I really hope he does. 

I dont think I've added much to the debate, apart from confuse it some more, but thats my opinion, for what its worth. 

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #6318 on: November 06, 2006, 07:46:14 am »
Mornin all, mornin June. ;) :-*. Those fireworks were bloody noisy I tell ya, scared my cats to death they did. Mind you I lock the catflap so they cant get out on bonfire night. One of mine, whose really timid, hid in my bed under my duvet!! Bless him, you could just see his lttle head peeking out. awwwww.Here is look, his name is Bruno: Isnt he sweet?

Morning Souxi, awww, what a gorgeous cat.  I love cats, but they dont love me, I am allergic to them, unfortunately.  :(

The fireworks round ours went on for ever it seemed to me - just when I thought they'd stopped, another one would explode and scare me half to death!!!!  I dont mind a nice firework display, but once thats done, I want Bonfire Night to be over.  My kids enjoyed it, but I was wishing I was at home in my pajamas drinking a hot chocolate reading slash.   ;)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #6319 on: November 06, 2006, 08:24:25 am »
OK - this is Charles Dance when somewhat younger. What's not to like?

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great