Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166926 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2750 on: August 09, 2006, 05:47:04 pm »
Hahaha, I take it you don't like the 'squeeeeing'  ;D

I'll try not to do it too often then  :D

No..No.. Dont un-squee on my account, it doesn't bother me .. Squee away BigH! lol..

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2751 on: August 09, 2006, 05:56:25 pm »
No..No.. Dont un-squee on my account, it doesn't bother me .. Squee away BigH! lol..
You are hilarious Lucise! Really  :laugh:

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2752 on: August 09, 2006, 06:00:58 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/90074.html  "Chapter 57:  Breakfast with Edna"
Oh Louise, this chapter got me all teary... *sigh* poor sweet Ennis. I want to hug him big time.

I hope he can get Ellery to go swimming more often and I really hope they get the paso fino horse! That would be so great.
LOVE Edna  :)

Thanks Louise  :) Absolutely wonderful chapter

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #2753 on: August 09, 2006, 09:18:47 pm »
It was about LOVE.

That's right. BBM was about love. How two people found and experienced love. How love survived a battering. How love seemed to be lost. Love's story does not end there because ultimately love is much more than about just two people. Love can be found again.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 09:38:56 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline alexisg

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #2754 on: August 09, 2006, 09:32:48 pm »
Late to the party as always, but I do hope you are feeling better, Louise!

I'm still catching up on my chapters, so I am trying to not read all the postings, in case I am spoiled a bit, but I had to share this with like-minded folks.

Where I live, it seems that the sheriff's department has been assigned to patrol the area where I live for trucks with 'loose' loads (sounds dirty, I know, but there is a lot of new construction where I live.)

So, every morning, I see 3 or 4 sheriff's department cars, and every single morning, I can't help but wonder who pissed off Ellery to get assigned to such a task.  ;D

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2755 on: August 09, 2006, 09:56:04 pm »
Okay, since most of the plot has been revealed/unraveled already, here is the Cliff Notes version of it:
Louise - thank you so much!  That really did help!  (I'm sorry I was too lazy to go back and figure it all out for myself... please forgive me...)

Seriously - great mystery!
 :)
Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2756 on: August 09, 2006, 10:02:16 pm »
Gee whiz!

I post a LJ comment and go to bed and everyone discusses it, there and here, and I wake up in the morning with the chance to pick up the pieces.

To clarify my opinion on Brad Sevigny...Ranchgal wrote that he is "disgusting" and I commented that I didn't think he was "disgusting." Despite all the comments to the contrary, I still don't. Maybe Louise didn't write him strongly enough to be disgusting in my eyes, who knows. Maybe it is my view of the world where there are very few blacks and whites and lots and lots of shades of gray, and Brad is out there in gray-land somewhere. Whatever. As a character, I still have some sympathy for him, even though what he has done is very wrong.

I guess part of my sympathy comes from the fact that he is gay and his bad decisions stem from that. He is trying to find his way in a world which is known (even in 2006) to be hostile to "his kind" and the fact that he reacts in anger is not too surprising. Couple that anger with a sociopathic personality and obviously we have a recipe for disaster. Even so, I still don't find him a 100% unlikeable character.

Brad was disowned by his father because he is gay and made the decision to change his name and cut all ties with his family. (Obviously he didn't though, since he talks to his brother.) When Ellery heard this, he made the comment, "I am glad my daddy wasn't alive to see my heart get broken by another man." Ellery, who comes across as the most well-adjusted gay guy in the entire story, has a place of vulnerability and insecurity about being gay. I guess realizing this about Ellery made me unable to totally hate Brad,  if that makes any sense at all.

My 2 cents.

L

Hi Leslie -

Sorry if I made you feel picked on!!!   :(  I didn't mean too.

I'm glad you clarified a bit though.

I tend to react to things in two different ways - one way is with a deep, guttural reaction... the other way is with a more thoughtful approach...  For whatever reason - I am still in the deep guttural mode with Brad.  Haven't gotten to thoughtful yet.

**shrugs shoulders**

Discussion is good, I like it.
 ;)

How is it being back at work and back in the States?

Kelly
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2757 on: August 09, 2006, 10:09:54 pm »
Never posted here before...
Just my 2 cents that I had to put in...
Brokeback mountain is about a joyous celebration and a sorrowful mourning of the love between Jack Twist and Ennis Del Mar....
Notice how I said BETWEEN JACK & ENNIS.
BBM is not about Ennis and so & so,
Jack & Ennis, forever.
Period.
Anything else in a DESECRATION OF THEIR love.
It was about LOVE.
Jack Twist, the sweetest man there is, and his aching Ennis who would only ever love his Jack. Thats it.
Thank you.

Edited for language -Roland

I know you and a lot of other people feel this way.  I think most of us around here think Ennis finding love again is both a tribute and an acknowledgement of his love for Jack.  Have you been reading the Laramie Saga?

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2758 on: August 09, 2006, 10:12:13 pm »
Well, we need a pic for this page, don't we? 
What do y'all think?   ;)

Hi Lucise,

Me and my demanding requests again...
I was wondering do you think we could get some pics of Ellery and Ennis that aren't shots of Ennis/Heath from the movie??
Or, do you think that's a weird request?

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #2759 on: August 09, 2006, 10:13:29 pm »
Well, we need a pic for this page, don't we? 
What do y'all think?   ;)

Oops!  Got caught up in my demanding request and forgot to say that I loved the color scheme and the set-up of the pic!

Fantabulous.
 :)
Kelly