Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131888 times)

moremojo

Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3670 on: September 08, 2006, 05:20:15 pm »
I really love discussing BBM; the movie, the fanfic stories and especially Ennis and Ellery!  I think I'm gonna enjoy hanging out here.  I don't remember how I stumbled across Louise's work, but sure glad I did.  I love this series!
Hugs,
NavyVet
Hello, NavyVet, and welcome to BetterMost!

You have come to the right place if you in thrall to Brokeback Mountain, the film and/or the story, or to any of the growing corpus of fanfic that these beautiful works of art have engendered. Lots of really smart, talented, and passionate people on board here, who all have the love for BBM and its immortal characters in common.

You say you are in Florida. I know one of our other members, ednbarby, resides in that state--I don't think she'd mind me stating that here, as she has shared that information herself elsewhere on our forums. You'll notice that we have folks from all over the world as members of our online family--we are truly a global, and growing, community.

The very first fanfic I read was written by our member Jeff Wrangler, and is called "Some Sweet Life"--a wonderful story, which introduced me to this strange and exciting new world of fan fiction. It has been some help in bringing some resolution to the powerful feelings the film evoked in me. My favorite fanfic to date is Tom Forster's 'Ennis' story--he is also registered here, and the link to his story is available on our fanfic board. I feel that if they were to ever make a sequel to the movie (which I still hope they never do), this would be a marvellous story to follow. Tom created a character in Billy who is, in my opinion, as memorable and lovable as our Ennis and Jack.

Happy reading, and I look forward to seeing your new posts...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:56:50 pm by moremojo »

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3671 on: September 08, 2006, 05:33:35 pm »
Where's Sabrina Duncan--er, Kate Jackson? She's not showing up on my monitor.  :'(

Check my originl post Jeff.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #3672 on: September 08, 2006, 05:40:59 pm »
Thanx to all for all the lovely welcomes.
I'm having trouble navigating and replying to people.  Every time I click on ANYTHING (page, reply, etc), I get the log in screen and am forced to re-log-in over and over, and therefore my replies are lost.  Just can't seem to stay logged in.   Hmmm.... then again, LJ baffles me as well.  :-)
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3673 on: September 08, 2006, 05:48:02 pm »
Thanx to all for all the lovely welcomes.
I'm having trouble navigating and replying to people.  Every time I click on ANYTHING (page, reply, etc), I get the log in screen and am forced to re-log-in over and over, and therefore my replies are lost.  Just can't seem to stay logged in.   Hmmm.... then again, LJ baffles me as well.  :-)

Hiya NV!
When you login .. choose the "forever" option to stay logged in.. much easier that way..

:)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3674 on: September 08, 2006, 06:00:18 pm »
A Hugh Smile .. because I need to see one now..

A Heath Smile .. because, well, I don't need a reason..

yb

« Reply #3675 on: September 08, 2006, 08:25:13 pm »
Neatfreak.

Let's see, we have NavyVet in Florida, MadLori in Ohio

yb, location?

Who else is new? I know I have welcomed several people in the past few days...

Hmm, I think I'm the only one from Hong Kong.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3676 on: September 08, 2006, 08:30:51 pm »
wow... you're in Hong Kong?  Oh wow.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #3677 on: September 08, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
Yes, unimaginable, isn't it?  I'm afraid I'm the only one from HK who's active on various BBM and Heath boards.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3678 on: September 08, 2006, 08:39:11 pm »
I posted this over at Bailey's website where discussion still rages on about the same old. Thought you guys might be interested in my ruminations.

Well BBM continues to be a learning experience for me in unexpected ways. As a irregular participant in the dc  slash discussion thread I have for the first time in my life experienced what it is like being a member of a dissident minority. For that is the role I found myself cast in as a reader and commenter on The Laramie Saga. It has been an amazing experience for me and has given me much insight and empathy for those arguing for a minority position in any field.

• The first thing you realize as a dissident minority member is that you are being ignored by most people. They just filter you out. You don’t exist. It’s not malicious. They are just not interested in what you might have to say.

• Those that do notice you, often only do so to swat you down like some annoying insect. Others regard you as a kind of killer virus that needs to be eradicated. The silent majority don't really care or are upset by all the noise and kerfuffle.

• When you realize that polite discussion is responded to in this way you get a bit frustrated and miffed. So you press your argument as strongly as you can hoping for a bit of give and take and at least respect for your right to hold a different point of view. This is received with muttered comments about your whining on and hopes that you will just bugger off. Why are you getting upset? We are all reasonable people here in the majority?

Some dissident minority spokespeople press on at this point because they have people relying on them to represent their case: gays and lesbians; the disabled; ethnic minorities etc.

Others who don't carry this responsibility, like myself, give the game away at this point and realize the wisdom of Henry Ford’s dictum: Don’t explain. Don’t complain.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

yb

« Reply #3679 on: September 08, 2006, 09:47:04 pm »
magicmountain

As always, a great post.  I don't log in to read the slash thread unless I was aware of a bashing going on.  It's always a disturbing experience reading those posts, what's most appalling is the fact that they take pride in ridiculing those who voiced their support of the LS.  Your post made me feel that the LS supporters are just like the minority in the society - homosexuals, lesbians, etc - and the majority of it is trying their might to drive them out of their ways, it's so ironic when the forum is said to be dedicated to BBM.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 02:20:00 am by yb »