Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131693 times)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4880 on: October 03, 2006, 09:11:56 am »
[quote author=christie wood link=topic=2833.msg94992#msg94992 I keep thinking that Dupree fancies Ennis, but I dont want to think that.   ???

Why not?     Many closeted guys who are very masculine and straight acting are attracted to the Ennis types.    Overly fem guys are a big turn off to them.     Which is pretty much how Ennis feels isn't it?     

I dont want to think that because I dont want anyone or anything to come between Ennis and Ellery.  I will cling on to the thought and hope that Dupree just really likes Ennis as a friend.   :-\

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #4881 on: October 03, 2006, 09:12:35 am »
I love the idea of Hugh Laurie, also Ralph Feinnes....  ::) Both are beautiful, beautiful men...

Someone said Rupert Everett is too young... I thought he was going on 50 or already there?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #4882 on: October 03, 2006, 09:19:30 am »
OK What about the following horse motif with the middle horse in red garnet overlaid on a silver backing to symbolise the Red Stallion where Ennis and Ellery first met.

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4883 on: October 03, 2006, 09:27:13 am »
Another approach to the "token" might be a belt that buckles, as opposed to the other style. For example, this is a two-tone belt with silver conchos and a 1½" silver buckle, with woven rawhide and horsehair inlays.

And this, the "Cheyenne belt" features a hair-on inlay silver concho with a star. Silver studs outline both the inlay and concho. The buckle is silver.

I actually like this one quite a bit. Ellery, dear, if you need any shopping help, my phone number is....

Leslie
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 09:29:16 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4884 on: October 03, 2006, 09:32:44 am »
wow you folks are quick!  you leapt on that chapter like wild dogs on a hunk of raw meat!

Yup!

I love your lunchtime posts. Gives me something to take my mind of my boring sandwiches which I have to eat at my desk as we have no communal area.

However, my colleagues must wonder what's in them sometimes what with the grinning, and slack jawed staring at my screen with a flush on my cheeks.  ;D

Karen

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4885 on: October 03, 2006, 09:38:46 am »
If Simon is a smart businessman and good salesman, he might suggest to Ellery a complementary hat band to go along with the belt and/or belt buckle.

This one is engraved silver. Classy....

This one is horsehair and rawhide, with silver accents and a silver buckle.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4886 on: October 03, 2006, 10:07:16 am »
If Simon is a smart businessman and good salesman, he might suggest to Ellery a complementary hat band to go along with the belt and/or belt buckle.

It is beautiful but Ennis is going to freak! LOL
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:49:51 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4887 on: October 03, 2006, 10:12:10 am »

This one is horsehair and rawhide, with silver accents and a silver buckle.

Leslie, I'm with you.  The Navajo buckle is for me, and not showy, and I think Ennis would like it very much.  I'm not too sure about the belt though.  It looks pretty showy to me. 

I haven't been making many comments but I am following the story cloosely.  I am of English extraction and when I was in England I was mistaken for a native severall times, until I opened my mouth, that is.  So I will venture an opinion.  I go for either Roger Moore or Rupert Evert for Jeeves.  I don't think Jeeves is too old, maybe in his mid fifties.  So, I think either would do.

My goodness, this thread is fun.  Some deep thinking too!

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4888 on: October 03, 2006, 10:28:58 am »
OH--I had a bb just like the silver one with the gold long  horn steer on it when I was in college.

I don't see Ennis wearing any metal on a belt except the buckel---you don't want all that metal around your waist if you are going to wear it on a daily basis---first it gets too dirty, and second--if he ever hits the ground off a horse--it pokes you and hurts.  That is also why it can't be too huge, and in my own opinion---oval would be the best shape---square or rectangles have sharp edges, unless they are small in line with the leather--(used to have a big square one, and first time I got pitched off--it left my belt QUICK!!

IF he is going to only wear it around Ellery, when they go out and such, whatever is okay--but if this token BB is going to be something he wants to wear on a daily basis to remind him of Ellery--I see it being inlaid and not too many stones or upright projections. 
There are a  lot of neat choices here already.   AND since it is going to be worn next to leather, and clothing colors and NOT Ennis' skin---the  color does not matter.   the Gold and or silver--that are a person's best colors are only valid next to skin---NO Matter what color the buckels ends up--It will be perfect because it is too far away from his eyes or face to matter or make a difference.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4889 on: October 03, 2006, 10:39:55 am »
Token:  Spoilers ...

Ellery initially thought of getting Ennis a belt buckle with turquoise stones ..Something like ..

Simon commented that he didn't think Ennis would ever wear anything like that ..  And he certainly wouldn't wear anything gold like..

So Ellery opted for something more subdued and less flashy, with a Mother of Pearl .. like ..

Let's see what Simon comes up with ...  ;)

I really like the shapes of both of these, and either would be very attractive.
And in my own mind, I can see Ennis wearing either one, and liking them.   Lots of horse trainers will wear buckels like the gold because they actually won them, or they remind them of their favorite horses, and those types fit in most anywhere, anytime.
And also
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 10:47:43 am by ranchgal »