Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166205 times)

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5280 on: October 11, 2006, 06:53:38 am »
SPOILER

That was a great chapter. I loved the whole thing of the boys trying to pull themselves together. Ellery minus belt, losing his jeans - yum!

If it's purely a quick social visit from the girls, then that's nice, however, I hope they don't have any other agenda. And now Dupree being added to the mix. Dying to hear what he needs to discuss so urgently with Ellery on a Saturday morning.

Karen

A nice quick social visit if fine with me too - as long as they leave soon!  lol   Ennis and  Ellery need some good, quality time together now that Ellery is feeling better. 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5281 on: October 11, 2006, 07:05:59 am »
You know what I find so curious is that Ennis's daughters get more different reactions from readers than anybody else.  There are those who roll their eyes and say "I hope those girls don't stick around!" and then there are those who say "Oh good, more Ennis and his daughters!"  and I can't quite figure out why that is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 08:02:02 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5282 on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:26 am »
I think it is nice having the girls in Laramie.    Ennis needs them in his life.   They keep his present tied to his past.      But if they stay, they indeed should live across town!   LOL

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5283 on: October 11, 2006, 07:21:52 am »
You know what I find so curious is that Ennis's daughters get more different reactions from readers than anybody else.  There are those who roll there eyes an say "I hope those girls don't stick around!" and then there are those who say "Oh good, more Ennis and his daughters!"  and I can't quite figure out why that is.

maybe it's because more daughters means more distractions and ahum, less getting fancy? I like the girls, silly or even inconsiderate as they may be  sometimes. I mean, showing up unannounced at 9 o'clock on a saturday morning? what were they thinking?  ???

I must make sure to tell my daughters that that wouldn't go do well with me either  ;D

i really liked the last chapters louise!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5284 on: October 11, 2006, 07:34:36 am »
You know what I find so curious is that Ennis's daughters get more different reactions from readers than anybody else.  There are those who roll there eyes an say "I hope those girls don't stick around!" and then there are those who say "Oh good, more Ennis and his daughters!"  and I can't quite figure out why that is.
Well, like I commented on your journal, right now I find them extremely irritating for just arriving like that on a Saturday morning and Ennis always seems so worried about hurting their feelings and feels he has to go along with everything they might suggest. Like cancelling out on Wes just because his daughters show up totally unexpectedly.
I wonder if Alma knows they're visiting their Daddy and Ellery??

At the moment, I just really like reading about Ennis and Ellery together when they are home and not only for the gettin fancy parts. I love their heart to hearts.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5285 on: October 11, 2006, 08:02:29 am »
Well, like I commented on your journal, right now I find them extremely irritating for just arriving like that on a Saturday morning and Ennis always seems so worried about hurting their feelings and feels he has to go along with everything they might suggest. Like cancelling out on Wes just because his daughters show up totally unexpectedly.
I wonder if Alma knows they're visiting their Daddy and Ellery??

At the moment, I just really like reading about Ennis and Ellery together when they are home and not only for the gettin fancy parts. I love their heart to hearts.

Exactly right June. I,ts not so much that they turn up that annoys me, it,s that they turn up unanounced. They didnt even have the manners to phone first and ask if it was ok. They just assume that they,ll be welcome. God forbid Ennis and Ellery should have had something planned for the weekend. And like you said June, Ennis worries so much about hurting their feelings he always feels he has to give in to them They dont seem to consider his feelings atall. I find them both extreemly immature tbh. Hard to beleive they are supposed to be adults.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5286 on: October 11, 2006, 08:18:06 am »
maybe it's because more daughters means more distractions and ahum, less getting fancy? I like the girls, silly or even inconsiderate as they may be  sometimes. I mean, showing up unannounced at 9 o'clock on a saturday morning? what were they thinking?  ???

I think they were thinking they way young, impulsive 18 and 19 year olds think! I really don't think they are all that bad.

To me, Junior must be happy to see her father so happy, especially after having him mope around her house for two years. And now that she is starting to put her head on straight and make some decisions about her life, I think she is very grateful to Ellery for his support. Francie--she's just a little live wire and curious as all get out--but that's not a bad thing. I think one of the things that is sad about all the Del Mars (all of them--Ennis and his brother, Alma, Ennis's children) is that they have all had to grow up so fast. Maybe Francie can be one to enjoy her teenage years a bit more.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5287 on: October 11, 2006, 09:02:36 am »
Exactly right June. I,ts not so much that they turn up that annoys me, it,s that they turn up unanounced. They didnt even have the manners to phone first and ask if it was ok. They just assume that they,ll be welcome. God forbid Ennis and Ellery should have had something planned for the weekend. And like you said June, Ennis worries so much about hurting their feelings he always feels he has to give in to them They dont seem to consider his feelings atall. I find them both extreemly immature tbh. Hard to beleive they are supposed to be adults.

I admit that I find the girls annoying sometimes. However, I agree with David that Ennis needs them in his life. Despite their annoying ways, behaving like brats or showing up unannounced, deep inside both Ennis and Ellery are happy that Junior and Francine accept their relationship. This is very important for men like Ennis, to know and feel that their own kids love them regardless of whom they go to bed with. We have to keep in mind that Ennis spent half his life hiding away in the mountains ashamed of himself and afraid of being discovered. So Junior and Francine's way to show him that it is okay with them that he is in love with a man ought to make him and Ellery immensely happy. Perhaps, E&E should consider planning out some weekends with the girls. Fix the apartment above the stallion so they can have a place to stay, next time they come to visit. But as TH said, Ennis has to find away to set some boundaries without making them feel unwelcome.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5288 on: October 11, 2006, 09:09:50 am »
A little pause for appreciating Hugh:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 09:25:47 am by louisev »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5289 on: October 11, 2006, 09:16:32 am »
A little pause for appreciating Hugh:

Good idea!

This is Hugh...

But this is... ELLERY!

;D  ;D  ;D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.