Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 541379 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1480 on: January 24, 2007, 04:23:49 am »
Now that we have some new customers in the RS, will we need to update our gallery? Perhaps this sexy guy could serve for a 'cleaned up' Nate Dawson?

Or he could be smart-ass Richard (who will probably take Nate home if fickle-as-heck Clyde does not get his act together!)   ;)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1481 on: January 24, 2007, 05:20:03 am »
The dynamics between gay guys in a gay bar are, I suggest, somewhat different from the dynamics between men and women in the workplace where a lot of the unwanted attention has taken place.(This was before men realised that today's women will cut off your balls and call the police if you look at them the wrong way.) How the pendulum swings!

Ennis is not a blushing girl being had upon although you'd never know it with all the door slamming that sometimes goes on.

As for the wedding reception: are we again putting traditional expections on a non-traditional event. I would have thought that all the Red Stallion regulars would be welcome. There should probably be two celebrations - one a pissup at the bar and a more refined affair presided over by Edna.

I see that Wayne has been expelled yet again by straight arrow Jeremy who blushes even more than Ennis. Loosen up guys!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 05:38:19 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1482 on: January 24, 2007, 05:45:03 am »
eeeeeek!

hell - lo!

Ummmmm........   

I could be wrong, but was that a vote in favor, Louise?
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

yb

« Reply #1483 on: January 24, 2007, 06:03:05 am »
Whether Wayne should be invited to the reception or not, I do think it’s Ennis and Ellery’s call; I just hope they will sort things out among them soon.  Honestly, I don’t think Wayne’s kissing Ennis was such an unforgivable act, he’s admitted to the bar again and he was excited to see Ennis who he had a serious crush on; but I also don’t think Ennis should condone to this behaviour because he’s not that kind of person - the only persons who could kiss him are Ellery, his daughters and Edna.

However, I don’t feel Ennis disliked / hated Wayne as much as he appeared to be.  He was shocked to see Wayne there, but when he was told Lauren had lifted the ban, he got along with it and even leaned down to listen to what secret Wayne was going to tell him, if he disliked him so much, he would have stayed away from him.  He was furious that Wayne had kissed him and would have beaten him, but when he realized how fragile Wayne had become, it was sorrow instead of disgust that he felt about Wayne.  So, IMHO, as much as they appear to dislike Wayne, they still had a soft spot for him.  Even Lauren still cared for Wayne, his reaction on seeing Jeremy expelled Lauren from the bar was enough evidence of it.  Now, whether he’d be at the reception is another story, I hope he would be but on the basis that Ennis and Ellery have had a candid talk with him and sort things out - not just because he was a regular at the bar.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #1484 on: January 24, 2007, 06:47:37 am »
At the end of the day, Ennis cant stand Wayne. It took an awful lot to get him to agree to this reception in the first place and to invite him to it is wrong..IMO. and it,s not fair. He,ll feel uncomfortable and awkward enough with lots of people ther without having that moron there drooling over him.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1485 on: January 24, 2007, 06:50:01 am »
I read everyone's comments with great interest... I am experiencing a bit of a shift in my way of viewing the plot unfolding in my mind (which is largely a matter of inspiration and waiting for what the characters have brewed up for themselves and one another, and this is a contrast with editing and presenting an already-complete tale and getting comments back about it, knowing already in great detail what the future holds, since we have already written it.

Very, very different experiences, I must say.

I am working on the next chapter as we speak, and plan to open the first half of the story up to non-Friends group, since this is really going on quite a long time and the rest of the BBM fandom must have thought I am no longer writing stories!

I did wish to comment a bit on Betty's interpretation above:  I think you really nailed Ennis's reaction to Wayne in terms of accuracy.  For the purposes of keeping the focus on the relationship, I have not introduced any more characters who are openly suffering from AIDS, but will handle this, I believe, in a separate story centering on Wayne and Pinky to provide a perspective on how the opening months of the plague affected its earliest victims, and why Wayne has gone off the deep end.  It is an education for all of them.  I had wanted to put more of this in "Shelter from the Storm", but the plot got too big too quickly, and realized I had to confine the topic.  In reality (but perhaps more in urban locales) AIDS struck hard and deep, and those who had recently found liberation in being gay and proud, suddenly found themselves peculiarly singled out for what the mainstream culture in its narrowness termed the "gay cancer."  As AIDS devastates Africa, killing mothers and fathers with families, leaving children homeless and facing starvation and death, or themselves afflicted, we know in restrospect that the disease does not select homosexual men preferentially, and those who chose to call it the wrath of God visited upon the unholy, are hopefully chastened by the devastating truth that it affects us all, and numbers among the worst endemic plagues of humanity along with infliuenza. 

I have been irked by the lack of realistic treatments of AIDS in this fandom as well.  I don't consider it a plot point - it is to the 21st century what syphilis was to the 18th and 19th, cutting down  promising lives indiscriminately with little hope of treatment or cure: I do know more about the affect of syphilis   in the 19th century having researched it for previous novels, but unlike syphilis, AIDS is still here, and still incurable, and still being spread... and its victims, still ignored.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1486 on: January 24, 2007, 07:38:03 am »
and... your early lunchtime European update!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/205024.html  "30.  Hello It's Me"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1487 on: January 24, 2007, 09:17:43 am »
This image is from Dot Matrix at the Sailors Thread.

Makes me think of Licky Nicky trying to apologize and seduce our Jeremy.   

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1488 on: January 24, 2007, 09:20:23 am »
SPOILER

and... your early lunchtime European update!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/205024.html  "30.  Hello It's Me"

And an off-to-work update in the U.S. !  Thanks!

....We need to remember the timeline.   Back in the early 80s when movie star Rock Hudson was revealed to have AIDS, his co-stars were furious.  Especially Linda Evans who had kissing scenes with him.   Back in the early days nobody knew if you could get it by kissing even.    Of course today we know that you can't....  

Looks like you called that exactly right, David.  There's more going on here than just annoyance/anger/frustration at Wayne's behavior of late - now we've got a good dose of fear/confusion added to the mix.  Sigh.  

I have faith in Ellery and Ennis and their ability to handle this - I thought it was a good sign that Ennis signed off with "Mr. Freeze" on one message and that he sounded calmer when he talked to Ellery.  

Excellent chapter -  as usual -  Louise!

Marie

Oh - and I wonder how this will affect Jeremy?  We know that Nick is very pro-active in safe sex and was very upfront about it from the start - but Jeremy's still trying to get used to the idea of being gay . . . let alone dealing with the fear of AIDS.  
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #1489 on: January 24, 2007, 09:42:27 am »
Looks like you called that exactly right, David.  There's more going on here than just annoyance/anger/frustration at Wayne's behavior of late - now we've got a good dose of fear/confusion added to the mix.  Sigh. 

Exactly Marie. Even more reason for Wayne not to go to the reception. He,s being a complete arsehole as usual, hes upset Ennis, again by kissing him and now he,s scared him to death making him worry about wether or not he can catch aids. He really is getting on my nerves.  >:( >:( >:( >:(