Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 541753 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1620 on: February 07, 2007, 03:06:13 am »
Great poem Jo, as always

Educatin’ Wayne

People cannot perceive
that his heart’s on his sleeve
while his mind flies away in a thousand directions

so true!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

yb

« Reply #1621 on: February 07, 2007, 03:52:10 am »
Jo, this poem just sums up Wayne perfectly. 

I like these 2 chapters very much.  On the surface it seems as if they are harassing Wayne, as we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here, I have no idea whether there is a specific dress code for such dinner; but I find it heart-warming that they took the trouble to get him dress warmly.  I’m hoping Wayne will soon get the idea that he should take care of his health first instead of how he looked.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #1622 on: February 07, 2007, 05:58:16 am »
Jo, this poem just sums up Wayne perfectly. 

On the surface it seems as if they are harassing Wayne, as we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here, I have no idea whether there is a specific dress code for such dinner;

Hi Betty,

I don't think there's a specific dress code for Thanksgiving. Then again I guess it depends on the family. Mine has no dress code at all. However, it's customary to dress at least a little nice as if you were going to Church, for example.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1623 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:03 am »
It's always a good morning when I wake up to one of Jo's poems- Thank you, Jo! That did, indeed, sum up Wayne perfectly!

That made me laugh and at the same time feel sad for Wayne  ???

Oh, me too, Fabienne!  I thought maybe I was just weird!!! I guess it struck me as so sad because I know Wayne wasn't really joking - and it reminds us that he's dying of AIDS.  :'(

Hi Betty,

I don't think there's a specific dress code for Thanksgiving. Then again I guess it depends on the family. Mine has no dress code at all. ....
\

Yes, I don't think it's really a matter of a "dress code" per se, more a matter of common sense and appropriateness.  Wayne would have been fine in a pair of jeans and a sweater or a regular button-down shirt.  But Wayne said he was wearing what queer boys wear when they're trying to look pretty for boys!!!  :laugh:  It's Thanksgiving Dinner at the Sheriff's house, Wayne!!  And I also found the sweater heart-warming - I was shivering just thinking about that flimsy shirt!

Great thoughts, everyone!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1624 on: February 07, 2007, 08:16:43 am »
Has the real Nick finally stood up?

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1625 on: February 07, 2007, 08:23:08 am »
Has the real Nick finally stood up?

The pics not showing.  Just a red x-box.    :(

yb

« Reply #1626 on: February 07, 2007, 08:46:27 am »
Natali & Marie, thanks for explaining about Thanksgiving.  I also think that by including Wayne to the Thanksgiving dinner and fussing about his shirt, they are giving him a sense of family which he obviously doesn't have.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1627 on: February 07, 2007, 09:23:07 am »
....... they are giving him a sense of family which he obviously doesn't have.

Yes, I've been thinking about that same thing - Wayne's absent family.  If Ellery hadn't invited him, he would have been alone on Thanksgiving!   :(  And, in spite of Wayne's outward bravado, we know that he is a frightened, lonely boy.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1628 on: February 07, 2007, 10:11:57 pm »
Is this better David? Can you see Nick now?

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1629 on: February 07, 2007, 10:19:38 pm »
Is this better David? Can you see Nick now?

Oooo  yes!   Thank you very much!