Author Topic: PERFECT, but...  (Read 32105 times)

Offline cmr107

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Call me Courtney
Re: PERFECT, but...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2006, 01:37:10 pm »
Yeah rt, Heath is good there, it's just the girls that bother me.

In the scene where Jack shoots at the coyote and misses, it looks to me like Jake isn't even trying to aim that rifle. Yes, Jack is supposed to be a lousy shot, but, like I said, it looks to me like he isn't even trying.

Agreed. I noticed that too.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 01:42:16 pm »
Also, something that would only interest or be noticed by a train buff like me: That train that goes by while Ennis is waiting outside Joe Aguirre's office isn't "period" for 1963. The train has no caboose on the end. In 1963 a freight train in the U.S. would still have had a caboose. And the freight cars that we can see as the train rolls off into the distance and Jack drives up aren't "period" either.

Hmmm, interesting observation Jeff.  I'm a train buff too, and you're probably right about that, unless it was a short line train or something.  I remember on TOB there was a discussion that at least they got the sound of the horn right for the railroad line and trains in Wyoming in 1963. 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 01:50:39 pm »
I want to see the extended closet scene too.  I heard it been discussed a lot and really wanted to see the rare instance that Ang Lee let Health not underplay the role.  Saw the ISA show but missed the part of Health nomination >:(.

Can someone who has the extended scene and technical know-how to put it up somewhere so the rest of us can see it?  Please…

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 01:59:40 pm »
Please put that extended scene up !! This is the first time I've heard of it too... see now that's something that could be on a special edition DVD!

My one part, and I KNOW I'm going to catch hell for this, is Heath's delivery of the line "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" in that final scene in the mountains.  It seemed a little overdramatic, IMO and took me out of the movie for a few seconds, especially because I consider the rest of that scene to be flawless.  There was just something about the way he squeezed the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes... I know that it made sense for his character because he didn't want to show his emotions by crying and maybe he was trying to hold the tears back, but it looked to me like it was Heath trying to force some tears out.  I don't think that's the case because Heath cries on cue in many other parts of the movie but, I don't know, there was just something off in that line delivery for me.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

rtprod

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 02:01:49 pm »
Please put that extended scene up !! This is the first time I've heard of it too... see now that's something that could be on a special edition DVD!

My one part, and I KNOW I'm going to catch hell for this, is Heath's delivery of the line "I'm nothing, I'm nowhere" in that final scene in the mountains.  It seemed a little overdramatic, IMO and took me out of the movie for a few seconds, especially because I consider the rest of that scene to be flawless.  There was just something about the way he squeezed the bridge of his nose and squinted his eyes... I know that it made sense for his character because he didn't want to show his emotions by crying and maybe he was trying to hold the tears back, but it looked to me like it was Heath trying to force some tears out.  I don't think that's the case because Heath cries on cue in many other parts of the movie but, I don't know, there was just something off in that line delivery for me.

Ugh, now I have to bear the consequences of starting this thread!  LOL.  Little, you are really brave.  That is my favorite line reading in the movie!  And those Heath-tears did get forced out too, down the bridge of that nose and into the air.  Was a beautiful thing.

Thanks for...er...sharing.  hehehe

rt

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
RT

And me, get it to me too!!!

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 02:08:10 pm »

Ugh, now I have to bear the consequences of starting this thread!  LOL.  Little, you are really brave.  That is my favorite line reading in the movie!  And those Heath-tears did get forced out too, down the bridge of that nose and into the air.  Was a beautiful thing.

Thanks for...er...sharing.  hehehe

rt

LOL I know, it took everything I had to actually put it into words, I knew people would hate me for it! It's really weird too, because I know he is actually crying and not forcing it out, you can see the tears in the air even as you said... and the lines right before that "Why don't you then? Why don't you just let me be?" are some of my favorite as well.... hell that whole scene is my favorite scene.  That's why I have no clue why those two lines bug me... *runs for cover*
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 02:14:26 pm »
Add my voice to the call for the extended scene. I would LOVE to see it, though I'm not sure from your description whether I'd want it in the movie. I think that scene is pretty perfect as it is, the underplaying is effective, and I like the way the emotion builds to the final scene.

The Aussie accent moments bother me, too. It's a small thing, but why didn't they just fix that?

I like the "nothing nobody" part, but I'm not fond of his threat to kill Jack. He wouldn't really do that.

But I also would love to see just a few more romantic moments, however brief. Partly because I love all the ones that are there already. And partly because the last half of the movie is so nearly devoid of physical affection, and I really miss it. Putting more of that stuff in might not even be good for the movie in an artistic sense, as it would diminish that often-noted effect of leaving the viewer wanting more. The hell with that. I do want more!!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2006, 02:21:26 pm »
RT

And me, get it to me too!!!

O0

OOOHHH me too please.. I'll buy you something nice.. :D
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 02:25:51 pm »
Dunno if it's on You-Tube.

However, I love that scene about the church picnic because it affords me one of my favorite BBM pleasures, Heath's drawling delivery of this line:

"Well all right, as long as I don't have to saaaang."

Awesomely said...

rt

Agreed, rt! Love how he draws out that "saaaang"! Actually, another reason I love that little sequence is because I think it helps to show that Ennis does love his daughters. He's running off to be with Jack, but he still holds up for his little angels.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.