Author Topic: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition  (Read 2119374 times)

Dagi

Re: Introducing the "Jack with Ennis" Fan Fic Game - the BetterMost Edition
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2007, 03:14:15 am »
Would anyone of you authors mind if I took all the stories and opened a Jack with Ennis READ ONLY - thread?

Think it over and let me know, please.

Dagi

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Queer (Part 2)
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2007, 09:23:40 am »
But Jack couldn’t even convince himself.  What else was there to do but deny being queer?  All Jack knew was that he wanted his friend.  He wanted to again feel Ennis’ hardness in his most secret, tender place. 

“Have it your way, friend.” Jack thought as he looked toward Ennis: a vision standing tall against the sky.  “You’ll want me again….you’ll come to me.  Then we’ll see just who is queer.”

Ennis retreated toward his work, leaving a hurt and confused Jack Twist with his tortured thoughts…

He wanted to again feel Ennis’ hardness in his most secret, tender place. Mmmmmm! Love them "tortured thoughts", yessir! Hot, littlewing1957.
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2007, 09:34:29 am »
Would anyone of you authors mind if I took all the stories and opened a Jack with Ennis READ ONLY - thread?

Think it over and let me know, please.

Dagi

Why? Are the pages getting difficult to load up? I almost miss the limited 'chapters' structure of Jack with Ennis on IMDb. I suppose we could start a 'read only' thread.

Ellemeno, Ineedcrayons, TrueOracle what do you mods suggest?
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2007, 10:16:20 am »
Why? Are the pages getting difficult to load up? I almost miss the limited 'chapters' structure of Jack with Ennis on IMDb. I suppose we could start a 'read only' thread.

Ellemeno, Ineedcrayons, TrueOracle what do you mods suggest?

Actually, I am the mod here for Fanfiction.

Personally, I like the stories and the comments mixed in together...it keeps the thread lively, IMO. But I can also see how it might be distracting to a reader.  Two things that have been done that you might want to consider:

1) Start a thread just for the stories and start a different thread for the "critics corner." If you look over on Chez Tremblay, that is what they did with the "Performance Thread." We did a similar thing here on Fanfic with the former "Ennis and Ellery" thread and the gallery where we archived all the pictures. "E&E" is no more (it has morphed into the Taking Chances thread over on the creative writers corner) but when the thread was very lively, it was fun to have all the pictures in one place so we could look at them.

2) For the Drabblefest, one of our regular readers/authors volunteered to start a drabblefest community on LiveJournal. She has been archiving all the drabbles there (with the prompts) so people can easily search through all the stories. This undertaking is a fair amount of work ...just so you know in advance.

Or you could just leave it as it is.

Hope these suggestions help. Let me know if you need more info or ideas. Feel free to PM me at any time.

Leslie
MaineWriter
Moderator, Fanfiction and the Creative Writer's Corner

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2007, 01:40:14 pm »
Hey there Mod Leslie,
Thanks for the quick response. I like the comments and the stories together, too. Like you said, it keeps the thread lively and in my opinion, gives it a 'folks-y' feel that I really enjoy. Maybe we could start new chapters to keep the threads managable. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:44:29 pm by Toycoon »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2007, 01:52:54 pm »
Hey there Mod Louise,
Thanks for the quick response. I like the comments and the stories together, too. Like you said, it keeps the thread lively and in my opinion, gives it a 'folks-y' feel that I really enjoy. Maybe we could start new chapters to keep the threads managable. Thoughts?

Hey again,

I am mod Leslie. Mod Louise is en route right now to her new job in England!

I'd rather keep all the stories together in one thread, as we have done with the drabblefest. People have complained in the past about the board getting cluttered with too many little short threads. That's the reason I consolidate groups of one shots by the same author together in one thread (see Loneleebee's poetry and one shots for an example of that).

As you all have discovered, you can change the subject line within the thread, which makes it easy to point to the different stories and comments for those stories.

Does this help?

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfic

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2007, 03:47:17 pm »
Hey again,

I am mod Leslie. Mod Louise is en route right now to her new job in England!

I'd rather keep all the stories together in one thread, as we have done with the drabblefest. People have complained in the past about the board getting cluttered with too many little short threads. That's the reason I consolidate groups of one shots by the same author together in one thread (see Loneleebee's poetry and one shots for an example of that).

As you all have discovered, you can change the subject line within the thread, which makes it easy to point to the different stories and comments for those stories.

Does this help?

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfic

Sorry Mod Leslie,
I actually had your name correct in the first place but I changed it for whatever, weird reason!
I like the thread just the way it is but someone (Dagi) suggested having a 'read only' format.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2007, 04:02:34 pm »
Sorry Mod Leslie,
I actually had your name correct in the first place but I changed it for whatever, weird reason!
I like the thread just the way it is but someone (Dagi) suggested having a 'read only' format.

There is actually not a "read only" capability here at Bettermost (as far as I know). It would be more up to individual users to post their comments somewhere else (as they do in the "critics gallery" for the Performance Thread). My inclination would be to leave this thread the way it is...I am enjoying the liveliness of it and the comments, some very funny. However, I try to moderate with a light touch and I wanted folks to feel like they had the chance to discuss the topic!

Leslie

Dagi

« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2007, 04:46:40 pm »
There is actually not a "read only" capability here at Bettermost (as far as I know). It would be more up to individual users to post their comments somewhere else (as they do in the "critics gallery" for the Performance Thread). My inclination would be to leave this thread the way it is...I am enjoying the liveliness of it and the comments, some very funny. However, I try to moderate with a light touch and I wanted folks to feel like they had the chance to discuss the topic!

Leslie

Sorry, obviousely I didn´t explain well enough what my idea was .

TOYCOON, I love this tread exactly the way it is. I love the mixture. I would never want to change that, believe me.

What I meant to say was that we/I could open a new thread that goes parallel to the original one (which would stay just the way it is), collecting the stories every 2-3 days and posting  them with the request to not comment there but in the original thread. Maybe it is a stupid idea, but it would make reading easier for those who read only without ever commenting. Ok, I see it is a stupid idea and I will simply save a copy of each story on my computer so I can read them one after the other whenever I want. Forget it, lets pretend I never said anything :-X...

Dagi

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2007, 04:54:08 pm »
Dagi,

It's not a stupid suggestion at all! Now I understand better what you are asking...

This is similar to what we did with "the Gallery" for the Ennis and Ellery thread, although in that case, we were reposting pictures, not stories. But the idea is the same. If someone wants to take on the job of creating an archive for the stories posted here, and include just the stories, it is fine with me. Call it something like "Jack with Ennis Fanfic Game Archive" so folks will know what it is about.

Alternatively, you could ask each person who posts a story to also post it in the archive.

Leslie
Moderator, Fanfic