Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 4235255 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16690 on: August 16, 2020, 11:37:30 am »
I'm closer to France than to any big city.  :laugh:

That must explain why the only time I've been in Germany is on an overnight train from Paris to Prague.

I think that trip preceded my first visit to Washington, DC, so in that sense I'm in the same boat as you and Berlin. I finally did go, though, and have been there a couple of times since. I love it.

I have heard of Heidelberg, though as a typical ignorant American I don't know anything about it.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16691 on: August 16, 2020, 07:51:30 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Sunday evening here, and the weekend has been pretty quiet.  ;D  Stayed around the apartment on Saturday, and today was laundry.  I wouldn't have wanted to go out anyway today, it's been grey and rainy all day.

Even the temps are off.  Usually August is about 90 degrees, and today was 70!  Nice and cool, I was able to have the A/C off and keep the windows open all day.

This week is my staycation, and I've got stuff to do almost each day, so far.  LOL

Monday:  Hit the ATM, go to the drug store, and then to a art store for a gift for my niece, her birthday is coming up in a few weeks.
Tuesday:  Social Distance lunch with my friends Tina and Bill
Wednesday:  Social Distance lunch with my cousins and mom, and then shopping in the afternoon to get the dashcam for the car.
Thursday:  So far, nothing.
Friday:  Going to drop the car at the shop, and have them install the camera.

Thanks for the emplanada explanation, I didn't know the name.  Now for your last emplanada: cheesecake and Nutella. One word: blech :P I love the US version of cheesecake and I love Nutella - but together? Ewww. It's just plain wrong and all Americans should be ashamed. Inventing something like that comes close to electing the Big Orange Satan (greetings to Jeff, love it).

Other than that, I always enjoy reading news from Chuck's world. And a big, fat Thank You! :-* for having the idea of BetterMost TBT. Very well done you!

:laugh:  I have to say, Chrissi, that the empanda with cheesecake and Nutella was really good!  Trust me!

I'm closer to France than to any big city.  :laugh:
You may have heard of Heidelberg though, most Americans have. I was born and raised in Heidelberg and later moved about 60 km (37miles) West, into nowhere land. It's in the South-West of Germany.
In terms of Berlin or Munich, I'm closer to Munich however, about 4 hours away.

And Berlin - I've never been there. Yep.
I've been to the end of the world in Canada,
I've seen the arse of many one-horse-towns in Wyoming,
I've flown to Tokio,
ridden the motorbike deep into the hinterlands of Turkey,
travelled by air, land and sea - but never made it to Berlin. ::)

Wow Chrissi! I love Berlin!

I have been to Berlin twice, think 3 nights each visit. The first was in 2000 during the Sydney Olympics and my first night (I had arrived by train from Krakow, Poland) I went to Maccas and bought an Aussie Burger.  ???   It had changed a lot when I returned in 2008. That time I stayed in East Berlin not far from a remnant of the Wall. I have a friend in Munich, ex-student, gay. I stayed with one of his ex's and new partner in Berlin. They were two beautiful guys, architects who had renovated a terrace house. I took them out to dinner and the opera - The Magic Flute -  one night. I thought it was wonderful being in the company of two beautiful pieces of humanity  ;D  I liked Potsdam on that visit. However I prefer Munich and Vienna, perhaps because I know my way around them much better.

That must explain why the only time I've been in Germany is on an overnight train from Paris to Prague.

I think that trip preceded my first visit to Washington, DC, so in that sense I'm in the same boat as you and Berlin. I finally did go, though, and have been there a couple of times since. I love it.

I have heard of Heidelberg, though as a typical ignorant American I don't know anything about it.

I've also been to Berlin, and Potsdam, and liked them both.  Had a great time, and even managed to find some Nena records.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16692 on: August 17, 2020, 10:39:13 am »
Even the temps are off.  Usually August is about 90 degrees, and today was 70!  Nice and cool, I was able to have the A/C off and keep the windows open all day.

We're about to get some cool days, and I don't like it. High here today will be 75. Brrr!!!

Back to 80s again in a couple of days, then looks like possible cooling toward the end of the week. Around this time of year, you start to get reminders that fall isn't far away. Catalogs with sweaters, back-to-school sales (though weird ones this year), early sunsets. My basil plants, which had been flourishing, need to be harvested before daylight dwindles too much. I'm going to make a bunch of pesto and freeze most of it.

Makes me miss New Orleans, when summer lasts through September, at least. It was weird to hear about "fall festivals" when the temperature was 95 and the trees were green (they stay green there all year). But I'll take that over the way it is here, when Labor Day is the cutoff and suddenly it's fall.

This week is my staycation, and I've got stuff to do almost each day, so far.  LOL

This week is my staycation, too! You're much better than me at pre-scheduling. I have a lot of chores to do and some friends I hope to see, though.

My chores, thankfully, are pretty flexible: clean out old papers and get everything more organized, trim the shrubs and things to straighten up the yard. The hardest part is getting going on them, but once I do it's nice to be working on something that has an immediate impact on my surroundings.

Yesterday, for example, I mowed the lawn. I have one of those old-fashioned push mowers. My neighbor gave me some dirt to fill in a hole and little slope in my yard. I also updated my financial records and sorted through and mostly organized some piles of papers -- still have to finish that endeavor.

Tuesday:  Social Distance lunch with my friends Tina and Bill

What is your social-distance lunch procedure? Do you all bring your lunch, meet in a park and sit at a picnic table, or ...?

Wednesday:  Social Distance lunch with my cousins and mom, and then shopping in the afternoon to get the dashcam for the car.
Friday:  Going to drop the car at the shop, and have them install the camera.

What is the dashcam for? Is it so when you pull somebody over to give them a ticket or something, there'll be a recording of the events?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16693 on: August 17, 2020, 02:25:22 pm »
Inspired by you, Chuck, I'm lining up a few social outings: distanced lunches, coffees, that kind of thing. One friend has been having lung problems and has her 80-year-old mother, who also has lung problems, living with her. So she declined, understandably. But most people seem eager to get out, at least for a coffee or lunch, outdoors and distanced.

Offline brian

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16694 on: August 17, 2020, 02:53:56 pm »
We're about to get some cool days, and I don't like it. High here today will be 75. Brrr!!!
That is a normal warm summer day here. I do not like it to be much hotter than that.  90'F is the maximum ever recorded and most years we do not see anything above 85'F
However 50'F is the maximum each day lately, last month of winter and it is a bit hard to get out in to the garden when it feels icy. Yesterday was not too bad as it was sunny and little wind. I actually watered as we have not had much rain this month.  Today I am going hiking so will not feel cold.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #16695 on: August 17, 2020, 02:54:28 pm »

I've also been to Berlin, and Potsdam, and liked them both.  Had a great time, and even managed to find some Nena records.  ;D

Me too! Me too! Me too! Me too! What a coincidence! :laugh:  Except for the Nena records of course, you'r on your own there.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16696 on: August 17, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »

I'll bet the Germans were glad to be rid of them.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #16697 on: August 17, 2020, 03:25:06 pm »

Seems like it would be a great place to visit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg

I knew some of its historical associations (Heidelberg Catechism, Frederick V) but not a whole lot.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #16698 on: August 17, 2020, 05:47:39 pm »
I'll bet the Germans were glad to be rid of them.  ;D

Ha!!!!!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork