Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9198210 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11020 on: May 17, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Long before I was a Madonna fan, I was a Donna Summer fan.  I still am.

It was 1976, and I was 7.  My mom was a big disco fan, and that is what the car radio was always tuned to.  That was when I first heard "Love To Love You Baby".

Time went on, and I heard them all.  My brothers & I used to laugh at "MacArthur Park" and the lyric of the cake in the rain.  "Hot Stuff", "Bad Girls", "Heaven Knows", all of them.  Even her later songs like "When Love Cries", "Love's About To Change", all her club hits.

Thank you for all the music you gave us, Donna.  I remember dancing to your stuff as a kid at family weddings, your songs never failed to get people on their feet and moving.

You will be missed, but as long as your fans remember and love your music, wherever we go, you will go with us.

[youtube=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpzsBWPsDL8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:19:27 pm by CellarDweller »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11021 on: May 18, 2012, 12:46:12 am »
Obviously a generational thing. You had me confused as 'Macarthur Park' is one of my all time favourite songs and I was sure it was sung by a male. I have researched and found the version I fell in love with was in 1968 (Richard Harris) and Donna Summer recorded it in 1978.
I remember it being unusual because it was long for a single back in those days and I thought it was 7 rapturous minutes when it came on the radio.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11022 on: May 18, 2012, 08:34:19 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Yup, it's Friday, and pay day!  It's a good thing too, as I'm suffering from empty pockets.  LOL

Let's see, tonight I'm baby-sitting for my friends' kids, they have a meeting to go to.  Tomorrow is my niece's graduation from college, so I have to get a card for that as well.

Sunday I have nothing.

;D

Obviously a generational thing. You had me confused as 'Macarthur Park' is one of my all time favourite songs and I was sure it was sung by a male. I have researched and found the version I fell in love with was in 1968 (Richard Harris) and Donna Summer recorded it in 1978.  I remember it being unusual because it was long for a single back in those days and I thought it was 7 rapturous minutes when it came on the radio.

Hello Brian!  I'm familiar with the Richard Harris version as well, but not when it came out, I was born in 1969.  When Donna's cover version came out, some stations that played older songs were playing the original again.

It's a great song, but being 10, 8 & 6, my brothers and I weren't schooled on metaphors, so we took lyrics literally, and the thought of someone crying "Oooooooooooooohhhh Noooooooooooooo!" at a cake being left out in the rain struck us so funny.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11023 on: May 18, 2012, 09:18:30 am »
Hello Brian!  I'm familiar with the Richard Harris version as well, but not when it came out, I was born in 1969.  When Donna's cover version came out, some stations that played older songs were playing the original again.

It's a great song, but being 10, 8 & 6, my brothers and I weren't schooled on metaphors, so we took lyrics literally, and the thought of someone crying "Oooooooooooooohhhh Noooooooooooooo!" at a cake being left out in the rain struck us so funny.

I guess Brian won't like me because I always felt the Richard Harris version was, well, dumb.

And no matter who's singing it, I still don't understand the lyrics!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11024 on: May 18, 2012, 01:51:51 pm »

I loved Donna Summer so much.  However, I have to say I am in the Richard  Harris column.  I loved the heart and mystery of the way it was recorded.  Not quite as straight forward.  It had a degree of mystery to it in my mind..  I love love it.                                             
                                      After all, isnt that what music is all about?  Something you can hear, and relate to.  It is proof that
one way something is done will resonate with some, and others not so much.  But ultimately we all have a choice.  Plus there is also the chance that by listening to something you did not care for on first hearing it.  You can learn to like, or possibly to hate.  Its very much a part of being human.

Beautiful mind

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11025 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:12 pm »
In 1968 I was trying to get rid of my strange, never spoken about, sexual feelings. I was dating girls and wondering why it never led anywhere. I mean kissing them good night was traumatic.  ???  At the same time I was madly in love with a mate who was shagging every girl he could get his hands on so I guess the song did resonate with me. I look back on that time with a sad nostalgia. He died last year of spinal cancer and I visited him a few months beforehand. I never came out to him but I am sure he knew.

By 1978 I was at discos with gay boyfriends and did not care who was singing the music (and I doubt they played Macarthur Park) so I recognise the songs but the name Donna Summers is vague to me. By then my radio listening would have moved to classical music stations where it has stayed ever since.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #11026 on: May 18, 2012, 03:43:59 pm »

Well I have always been a fan of all kinds of music.  I have always loved to dance.  So the disco era was one I remember quite
fondly.  I think as in any kind of music.  There are good and bad ones.  It is only trite because some people have the snooty idea that they are above it.

Here are both versions...  Richard Harris
   [youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHS8hj4TdT8[/youtube]
     His is not as perfect, but it has so much character..
                                                                  Donna Summer
   [youtube=425,350]
&feature=related  [/youtube]

Beautiful mind

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #11027 on: May 18, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »
Obviously a generational thing. You had me confused as 'Macarthur Park' is one of my all time favourite songs and I was sure it was sung by a male. I have researched and found the version I fell in love with was in 1968 (Richard Harris) and Donna Summer recorded it in 1978.
I remember it being unusual because it was long for a single back in those days and I thought it was 7 rapturous minutes when it came on the radio.

Yes Brian, I was in in the era too, when Richard Harris's version of Macarthur Park was a hit. Wasn't there some discussion back then that it was metaphorically about the Kennedys??
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11028 on: May 21, 2012, 08:19:02 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Monday back in my cube, and I feel like I just left this place!  Actually, I did.    :laugh:

I was here on Sunday from 1 - 5, doing "bank stuff".

We have a whole bunch of systems we use....FiServ (for checking/savings accounts),  AFS (for loans), E*Vision (for copies of checks) Synergy (loan history) and stuff like that.

Well the bank has decided to "migrate" to a new system called "Partenon" (I think that's spelled right) and it will handle all those functions.  this weekend is the first "migration", so the FiServ system is going away as of Monday.  To minimize the effect on our customers, the bank is having the "migration" happen on Saturday and Sunday instead of normal banking hours.

So I had to go to my office today, log onto Partenon, and then verify a number of random accounts, to verify that the account numbers, dollar amounts, history, and authorized signers went to the new system as it should have.

From what I saw, everything went well, with the occasional glitch here or there.

Looking over my calendar for this week, how did I manage to get so busy?

Monday - nothing
Tuesday - dinner plans with friends
Wednesday & Thursday - bowling tournament
Friday - possible dinner plans in NYC
Saturday & Sunday - BBQs to go to
Monday - possible lunch plans in NYC.

at some point, I need to do baking for the two BBQs.  LOL

I guess Brian won't like me because I always felt the Richard Harris version was, well, dumb.

And no matter who's singing it, I still don't understand the lyrics!  :laugh:

Yeah, the lyrics were always somethingn else on that song.....discussion on that at the bottom of the post.

I loved Donna Summer so much.  However, I have to say I am in the Richard  Harris column.  I loved the heart and mystery of the way it was recorded.  Not quite as straight forward.  It had a degree of mystery to it in my mind..  I love love it.   After all, isnt that what music is all about?  Something you can hear, and relate to.  It is proof that one way something is done will resonate with some, and others not so much.  But ultimately we all have a choice.  Plus there is also the chance that by listening to something you did not care for on first hearing it.  You can learn to like, or possibly to hate.  Its very much a part of being human.

I loved Donna Summer as well Janice, and for me, I can listen to/enjoy both versions.

In 1968 I was trying to get rid of my strange, never spoken about, sexual feelings. I was dating girls and wondering why it never led anywhere. I mean kissing them good night was traumatic.  ???  At the same time I was madly in love with a mate who was shagging every girl he could get his hands on so I guess the song did resonate with me. I look back on that time with a sad nostalgia. He died last year of spinal cancer and I visited him a few months beforehand. I never came out to him but I am sure he knew.

By 1978 I was at discos with gay boyfriends and did not care who was singing the music (and I doubt they played Macarthur Park) so I recognise the songs but the name Donna Summers is vague to me. By then my radio listening would have moved to classical music stations where it has stayed ever since.

The only time I listen to classical music is if I'm watching a figure skating competition.   :laugh:  I'm familiar with some pieces, and I know classical music is beautiful, but I prefer my music with lyrics and a beat.

Well I have always been a fan of all kinds of music.  I have always loved to dance.  So the disco era was one I remember quite fondly.  I think as in any kind of music.  There are good and bad ones.  It is only trite because some people have the snooty idea that they are above it.

I think you're right, Janice!  I've heard so many people just rip on Disco and dance music in general.  I remember the whole "Disco Sucks" movement, and I never understood why that happened.  There is some great disco out there.

Yes Brian, I was in in the era too, when Richard Harris's version of Macarthur Park was a hit. Wasn't there some discussion back then that it was metaphorically about the Kennedys??

Sue, that's a new one for me.  I have a book at home called "Wacky Top 40" and "MacArthur Park" is one of the songs.  The writer of it did an interview and said that the song is about a breakup of a relationship.  Apparently "the cake" represented the relationship, all baked properly and iced, and then when it went bad, it was like a cake left in the rain, slowly being destroyed, and since he felt the relationship was a 'once in a lifetime' thing, he would "never have that recipe again'.

I still don't get why the cake is called "MacArthur Park."   ???

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11029 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:47 am »
The only time I listen to classical music is if I'm watching a figure skating competition.   :laugh:

OK, Monroe. ...

Or is it Alma, Jr.?

;D

I still don't get why the cake is called "MacArthur Park."   ???

I always thought that was the place where somebody left the cake, not the cake.

And "sweet green icing"? Eeew. ...  :P
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.