Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8741672 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17450 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:19 pm »
No comment on the skating in the Olympics?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #17451 on: February 04, 2022, 11:57:15 am »
Congtrats Chuck!

I'm sure it's well deserved.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17452 on: February 04, 2022, 12:28:20 pm »
Congratulations, Chuck!

Looking forward to nothing this weekend.
Leisurely weekends are such a rarity for me. I treasure them. I envy you yours. But it's a self-imposed thing so I can't complain too much about being busy.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17453 on: February 04, 2022, 01:27:52 pm »
I will be getting a $2.00 an hour raise, and I'm getting a very generous bonus!

That's fantastic, Chuck! Especially with inflation on the rise. My union asked for a 5% raise to keep up with inflation and the company refused. Which isn't surprising. But negotiations for the next three year contract begin this summer, and I imagine they'll be intense. To be fair, the company was doing pretty well last year -- advertising revenue was dwindling but subscriptions were soaring with all the news. Now people are sick of COVID, George Floyd's death and subsequent unrest are receding into the past, subscriptions have not been rising at the same rate. So while the paper is doing much better than others its size, it's struggling again.

However, the police her just shot another Black man, 22 years old, a couple of days ago. They burst into his apartment on a "no knock warrant," meaning 3-4 cops barged in yelling. The guy was sleeping on the couch under a blanket. His hand came out of the blanket holding a gun -- not something I would do but not especially surprising for a guy living in a rough neighborhood, woken from a sound sleep by a bunch of strangers in the home yelling. The police immediately shot him. They just released the horrifying bodycam footage.

So there could be more unrest. There's a protest Saturday afternoon -- hope it stays peaceful. Could get more people reading the paper, but not a good way to accomplish that obviously.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17454 on: February 04, 2022, 02:03:58 pm »
Leisurely weekends are such a rarity for me. I treasure them. I envy you yours. But it's a self-imposed thing so I can't complain too much about being busy.

I'm in between. I always have a ton of things I should do and feel guilty for not getting them done quickly enough.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17455 on: February 04, 2022, 02:25:58 pm »
Oh, also re the police shooting: the guy they shot was not the person they came to arrest AND he had a permit to carry a gun AND although it's hard for me to see on the video, but apparently his finger is straight out -- not even on the gun's trigger.

The bodycam video isn't *quite* as horrifying as George Floyd because it doesn't go on for nine minutes during which time people were begging the cop to get off him so he can breathe, etc. This is only a matter of seconds. I understand that police have to make instant decisions at times. But the setup -- bursting in shouting, no notice or knocking -- is fundamentally flawed. This is likely to lead to big protests, understandably, though hopefully without the fires, looting and property damage of two years ago (much of that perpetrated by opportunists rather than legit BLM protesters).

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17456 on: February 04, 2022, 11:14:32 pm »
I'm in between. I always have a ton of things I should do and feel guilty for not getting them done quickly enough.

Same here. Or not getting them done at all.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17457 on: February 05, 2022, 01:40:32 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hello everyone!

Is anyone else watching the Olympics?

Now that I'm working from home, I'm hoping that I can watch the events during the day while working.  ;D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17458 on: February 05, 2022, 01:56:43 pm »
No comment on the skating in the Olympics?  ???

I had no idea that the events had started yet.    :laugh:   I saw the opening ceremonies scheduled, but I didn't realize some of the events were starting before the ceremonies.

I have the schedule now, so I'll be able to watch.   I did use YouTube and other resources to see what I missed.

Congtrats Chuck!

I'm sure it's well deserved.

Congratulations, Chuck!

That's fantastic, Chuck!

Thank you!   I'm pretty excited about it!  It's good to be appreciated, and it makes recent stresses at work, worth it.

Same here. Or not getting them done at all.  :(

Sometimes, you have to let things slide, just for your metal wellness.  I'm sure that if I looked around realistically, I could make a list of what needs to be done.  But this weekend will be a relaxing one, and I'll get other chores done next weekend.

;D

That's fantastic, Chuck! Especially with inflation on the rise. My union asked for a 5% raise to keep up with inflation and the company refused. Which isn't surprising. But negotiations for the next three year contract begin this summer, and I imagine they'll be intense. To be fair, the company was doing pretty well last year -- advertising revenue was dwindling but subscriptions were soaring with all the news. Now people are sick of COVID, George Floyd's death and subsequent unrest are receding into the past, subscriptions have not been rising at the same rate. So while the paper is doing much better than others its size, it's struggling again.

However, the police her just shot another Black man, 22 years old, a couple of days ago. They burst into his apartment on a "no knock warrant," meaning 3-4 cops barged in yelling. The guy was sleeping on the couch under a blanket. His hand came out of the blanket holding a gun -- not something I would do but not especially surprising for a guy living in a rough neighborhood, woken from a sound sleep by a bunch of strangers in the home yelling. The police immediately shot him. They just released the horrifying bodycam footage.

So there could be more unrest. There's a protest Saturday afternoon -- hope it stays peaceful. Could get more people reading the paper, but not a good way to accomplish that obviously.

Oh, also re the police shooting: the guy they shot was not the person they came to arrest AND he had a permit to carry a gun AND although it's hard for me to see on the video, but apparently his finger is straight out -- not even on the gun's trigger.

The bodycam video isn't *quite* as horrifying as George Floyd because it doesn't go on for nine minutes during which time people were begging the cop to get off him so he can breathe, etc. This is only a matter of seconds. I understand that police have to make instant decisions at times. But the setup -- bursting in shouting, no notice or knocking -- is fundamentally flawed. This is likely to lead to big protests, understandably, though hopefully without the fires, looting and property damage of two years ago (much of that perpetrated by opportunists rather than legit BLM protesters).

Og God, we don't need any more unrest.  We've had enough recently to last into the next century.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17459 on: February 05, 2022, 02:14:24 pm »
Congrats on the raise and bonus! :)

Yesterday I learned that we won't get the bonus we had thought we'd get. :(
I work in the public sector and news was public sector gets a Covid bonus. Well, others do get it. But we're municipal, not state or nation level. That was in the small print of the contract our union was able to make. Of course the union celebrated their achievement, but failed to announce the small print. Bummer.