Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4589761 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1660 on: December 02, 2006, 03:08:14 am »
Thanks, Clarissa honey.

I remember way back when.  I posted an acronym or two, and you PMd me saying, "Who are you, masked man?"   Here I am, a devout BetterMostian.

Thanks so much for your welcome.  Then and now. :-*

Paul

They weren't just any old acronyms, they were brilliant and beautiful.   :)

Some of my favorites of Paul's acronyms:

Alma
Loves
Married
Alliance

But
Ennis's
Extracurriculars
Rend
Suffering

~+~+~

Heath
Endeavors
Acting
Trance-like
Hug

Love
Excels
During
Grand
Enveloping
Reverie

~+~+~

Guitar
Unfolds
Strains:
Tenderly
Anguished,
Vibrantly
Orchestral

~+~+~

Annie's
Novella
Given

Life:
Ecstatic,
Elegiac

~+~+~

"Beans,
 Avoid
 Soup,"
 Quoth
 Unshaven
 Errand-runner

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1661 on: December 02, 2006, 07:16:40 am »
Saturdays full 1000+ Poster List!

injest        6,320   
  Lucise        5,499   

MaineWriter        3,376   
  Garry_LH        3,208   
  Front-Ranger        3,156   

louisev        2,703   
  Ellemeno        2,610   
  DavidinHartford        2,551   
  Pipedream        2,446   
  latjoreme        2,181   
  Fran        2,158   
  ednbarby        2,122   

YaadPyar        1,723   
  David925        1,610   
  Toast        1,592   
  Jeff Wrangler        1,564   
  Phillip        1,473   
  Sheriff Roland     1,362   
  Memento        1,317   
  Meryl        1,298   
  wdj        1,288   
  jpwagoneer1964        1,197   
  wyomen        1,156   
  Daniel        1,152   
  twistedude        1,142   
  DeeDee        1,139   
  Bigheart        1,107   
  moremojo        1,103   
  starboardlight       1,093   
  atz75        1,085   
  delalluvia        1,054   
  Arad-3        1,053   
  Ray         1,043   
  Katie77        1,032   
  cmr107        1,027   
  southendmd    1,013   

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #1662 on: December 02, 2006, 07:39:03 am »
Well, with 36 members in it, the 1000+ Posts Club isn't a very exclusive, cool club anymore, but it sure is an inclusive, warm club, which is even better. :)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1663 on: December 02, 2006, 08:29:27 am »
Oh David, you are too much!

East coast of the USA checking in. Sunny today, 34.7 degrees. You would not believe the storm we had last night! Wind, rain and lightning. I thought my house was going to blow away.

Off to Boston in a little bit to see Paul and Candy (the movie). I'll be back with a report later.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #1664 on: December 02, 2006, 09:05:50 am »
Looks like I have a way to go, don't I?

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline David

« Reply #1665 on: December 02, 2006, 12:09:52 pm »
TSA's revealing X-ray screening raises privacy concerns

By Thomas Frank, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — The federal government plans this month to launch the nation's first airport screening system that takes potentially revealing X-ray photos of travelers in an effort to find bombs and other weapons.
Transportation Security Administration screeners at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will test a "backscatter" machine that could vastly improve weapons detection but has been labeled a "virtual strip search" by the American Civil Liberties Union. Backscatter can show clear images of nude bodies.

At Phoenix and another yet-to-be-decided test airport, the machines will blur or shade images to obscure body parts and medical devices. The TSA also will look at using the machines in subways.

"It's time to get them out and get feedback from [screeners] and the traveling public," said Randy Null, TSA assistant administrator. The TSA has been considering the machines since 2002 while struggling with privacy issues.

Null said the TSA is now "very comfortable" with privacy protections manufacturers have built into the machines, which scatter low-intensity X-rays to peer under clothing for hidden items.

Barry Steinhardt, head of the ACLU's technology and liberty program, said operating the backscatter machines at airports will pave the way for widespread use — and abuse. "As this technology becomes commonplace, you're going to start seeing those images all over the Internet," Steinhardt said. "These images are going to have high commercial value."

In the upcoming airport tests, the machines will be used only on travelers who require extra screening beyond a metal detector. Those passengers will be offered the option of being photographed from the front and back by the backscatter machine or undergoing the customary pat-down by a screener.

Null said the machines could some day replace metal detectors if they can operate faster than the 15-20 seconds backscatter takes to screen one passenger.

Backscatter machines, used in prisons and at Customs checkpoints to find drugs, have been touted as an improvement to metal detectors, which don't sound alarms for plastic or liquid explosives or ceramic knives. The Homeland Security Department inspector general singled out backscatters last year as a way to close a loophole at checkpoints.

The Phoenix airport, the nation's eighth busiest, will get a machine made by American Science and Engineering of Massachusetts. In a nod to privacy considerations, the machines will show only blurred outlines of travelers but will enable screeners to see weapons.

The blurred images "trade off detection for a level of privacy," said Richard Mastronardi, company vice president. The fuzzier photos "start to lose the ability to see … C4" plastic explosives, he said.

The TSA will test a similar machine that generates blurred images using electromagnetic waves. Using the machines on suspicious subway passengers is "a ways off," the TSA's Null said. The TSA could recommend but not require them in subways.

I wonder when my Airport will get them?    This technology has been around for a while, but the fact that the non-blurred images show complete genitalia has always been the reason they are not in use yet.   Too many snickering TSA agents?   
 I hope I can hold back an audible GASP if a rather well endowed young man comes thru!     ::)

David

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1666 on: December 02, 2006, 01:00:15 pm »
I hope I can hold back an audible GASP if a rather well endowed young man comes thru!     Roll Eyes

I can imagine people gasping when I go through, but not for that reason!  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David

« Reply #1667 on: December 02, 2006, 09:16:24 pm »
I can imagine people gasping when I go through, but not for that reason!  :laugh:

Ha ha ha!      I hear ya!   I'm not sure I want my co-workers watching me go thru that machine either!

But from what I hear, the person operating the machine and viewing the images will be in another room.   They will not see the person approach or exit the image area.    This assures total anonimity and privacy for the passenger.   Plus, the screen image is viewed in "real time" only.   It is not stored to be replayed back.    So if a person enters to be viewed and the operator clearly sees a gun taped to a persons leg, they tell the person to remain in place until a Police Officer is alerted to view the image.    State Police are at all Airport Security Checkpoints and always within sight.

So unfortunately,  if I was to operate the machine and saw an, um, interesting guy pass by,  I couldn't peek around the screen to see if he was cute.     Darn it!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1668 on: December 02, 2006, 09:28:04 pm »
Hey, I just noticed:

8)  8) CONGRATULATIONS ON 1,000 POSTS, LYNNE!!  8)  8)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:35:12 pm by Meryl »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #1669 on: December 02, 2006, 09:32:39 pm »
Thanks, Meryl!  I didn't even realize I was gettin close!
 :D
"Laß sein. Laß sein."