Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4589478 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1730 on: December 07, 2006, 09:46:01 am »
   From that chart:

1990        2025

United States        4,989         8,142 

China                    2,262         6,666 

My point was what this chart shows.    That the United States over the next 20 years from now will only be producing less than double the amount in 1990, but China will Triple the amount.

With developing Asia producing 11,801 of the world total of 37,124.   

Scary numbers indeed.    But Asia is the one to watch.   Here in the States we have the EPA at least monitoring the pollution.      Even if they can't get the numbers down by enforcing restrictions,  the financial economy will close more and more factories faster.   Our industrial revolution here in the States is done.  We lost.    We import more goods than we produce.    Even things like Steel.    Dirty factory towns like Pittsburg, PA  are a thing of the past.

I knwo what you mean but according to Al Gore and some other person whose essay I read somewhere I don't remember right now, China is aware of it and it is actually doing something about it. US isn't. EPA doesn't do shit David. If they aren't able to stop big corporations to pollute some of the water resources in US mainland they're hardly doing much to stop them from polluting the air.

And yes, you might be right. US probably lost the race already. But we all can do something about it. For example, recycling, walking more, riding bycicles and using public transportation (I don't own a car for example, I walk and take the subway). Use other means of energy, for example, hemp. Hemp is a weed that besides having the power to get you high, can be used to make paper, fabric for clothing and even as fuel for cars. But we all have to take it seriously. The problem is that nobody takes it seriously.  :-\
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1731 on: December 07, 2006, 10:22:34 am »
You do realize that the meted ice caps would just mix with the salted ocean waters, thus rendering it just as unusable as the current ocean waters (for the purpose of irrigation).

Oh, for goodness sakes. Of course I'm aware of it. I'm sorry if you're offended, but I was just being as deliberately silly as the idea that global warming is a Good Thing done by the Republicans because it will get rid of winter.

Come on, people, lighten up.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1732 on: December 07, 2006, 10:37:02 am »
Oh, for goodness sakes. Of course I'm aware of it. I'm sorry if you're offended, but I was just being as deliberately silly as the idea that global warming is a Good Thing done by the Republicans because it will get rid of winter.

Come on, people, lighten up.

Well , putting it that way sure LOL
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1733 on: December 07, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »
Sorry to anyone who was offended; I just really hate winter. I should probably move somewhere warmer. I oughta go to Mexico ...

That would be a lot less drastic than voting for a Republican.  ::)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1734 on: December 07, 2006, 04:42:48 pm »
Sorry to anyone who was offended; I just really hate winter. I should probably move somewhere warmer. I oughta go to Mexico ...

That would be a lot less drastic than voting for a Republican.  ::)

Just don't go snoopin' around any dark alleys in Juarez, Little Darlin'. Could be dangerous.  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1735 on: December 07, 2006, 08:57:35 pm »
It is funny how the 1000+ post board has become kind of a Blog for a lot of us.   

No problem.    Alot of us come in here to chat or rant because we don't have blogs.  LOL.      That is fine with me.   I'm just as guilty doing it, so it is hereby Officially OK to do so.    I'm a Moderator here at Chez Tremblay so I can do that.     Well, until I piss off enough other Mods or Phillip!    LOL.

Offline David

« Reply #1736 on: December 07, 2006, 09:21:41 pm »
Have I told y'all lately how much that ......

I LOVE MY JOB!

He he he!

Well let me tell you.    About a month after I started working at the TSA, I spied a new recruit.     His name is Nick  (yes, just like in my favorite Fanfic character!)   Nick is 22 years old.    Built and handsome.   Wears his hair buzzed way short like a marine.   Soft baby face, very polite, very soft spoken.  Very intelligent,  very nice kid.

So here I am.   Also a new recruit, but I have been there longer and know my way around.    So I start being real friendly to Nick.   Helping him out with finding his way around,  filling out forms etc etc.     It helps that he and I have the same schedule.   Which is very rare.   Most everybody has overlapping schedules where you almost never see the same people each day.

My plan works.   Soon he is tagging along with me to our assignments.    He comes in and sits with me each day when we arrive.   He takes his breaks with me and we walk around the airport and chat.   We hang out waiting for the shift manager to let us leave at the end of the day and walk out to the parking lot together.     Sigh....    He is just so damn nice.    And so damn straight.   He has mentioned a girlfriend a few times.      oh well.   Not that he'd even look twice at a guy my age even if he were gay.

But nonetheless it is nice to have a friend at work.    Today I overheard another guy ask him if he had applied to any Police Departments yet.    UGH!   I thought.    Nick is leaving me, er, us.     I forgot he just graduated College with a degree in Criminal Science.

So I later asked him if he had thought about applying to another government agency like the Customs Department or even try out to be a Federal Air Marshall.

He asked if I had thought about it.    I told him I was probably too old to be an Air Marshall.      He said : "Why? aren't you like 29 or 30?"        I blushed.   I almost didn't want to tell him I was 40.   But I did.    He then said :"Well you look much younger".      I blushed again.

If this guy didn't have a girlfriend....... Nah.   I'd still keep my mouth shut.    The urge to give him a big kiss however was overwhelming.   LOL.

ON THE OTHER HAND.......  Sometimes my job sucks.

Today they were reviewing proper proceedure on how to inspect a male passenger with a hand held metal detector if he was wearing a kilt or religious garment of the skirt type.

One guy was wearing a plastic trash bag to simulate the skirt for testing purposes.
The other guys were teasing him of course.

A guy said: "How do you inspect the mans belt if it is covered by the kilt?"

The Training instructor said : "You say take off the skirt faggot".     
Several guys laughed.   I sat horrified.

Yeah.  1963 Wyoming isn't that far behind us is it?

Offline David

« Reply #1737 on: December 08, 2006, 07:29:18 am »
Friday Morning! 

I'm not sure the temperature outside, but the wind is howling like I am in Wyoming this morning!

Time for the Top Ten List!

injest  6527
Lucise  5593

MaineWriter  3486
Garry_LH  3328
Front-Ranger  3263

louisev  2863
DavidinHartford  2725
Ellemeno  2677
Pipedream  2449
latjoreme  2208

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1738 on: December 08, 2006, 07:39:34 am »
David,

I am glad you love your job. I am not going to comment on the other part because it should be dignified with a discussion 'Nuff said.

Snow here this morning...several inches. Enough that I will need to go dig out my boots. 30 degrees.

December 8th, the day after Pearl Harbor Day. It is also the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. And my mother's 80th birthday. Happy Birthday, Mom!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1739 on: December 08, 2006, 09:10:45 am »
David,

I am glad you love your job. I am not going to comment on the other part because it should be dignified with a discussion 'Nuff said.

What?  the part about me being a stalker at work, or the fact that I work with some homophobic Neanderthals?

As for the first part, I have no intentions of acting on my attraction to young Nick.

As for the second part... I have no intentions of acting on that either.    These people are responcible for reviewing me for recertification and even annual pay increases.   They can also make my life miserable there if I came out by putting me in the worst work areas.    Not to mention ostricized by many of the other employees.   

Yes,  there should be penalties for such behavior, but I'm not naive enough to think this is a perfect world.