Author Topic: Heath Ledger - the grieving thread  (Read 631851 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger dead - grieving thread
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2008, 01:46:15 am »
Matilda will never conciously know her daddy. She will not remember him. Poor Matilda. Poor Michelle. And all his family.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2008, 01:54:11 am »
Exactly Littlewing - like sleeping and waking up later to find out this terrible news isn't true.

My mind cannot process 'Heath Ledger' and 'dead' in the same sentence.

I know exactly what you mean, BBM-Cat!

I just saw an Aussie contestant on American Idol who sounded so much like Heath that it brought tears to my eyes!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2008, 01:58:51 am »
It's nice to see old friends coming by as we grieve our beloved Heath.  Nice to see you especially, Mel.  :-*

I'm still numb, except for bouts of anger.  I can't believe I'm posting a memorial to him in the Cult thread and looking online for quotes and poems to help express the loss.  I just can't believe it, God damn it.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2008, 02:06:43 am »
I made the same mistake. It was disgusting to see how insensitive some people can be on an anonymous IMDb board. Truly wretched.

God bless BetterMost. I love you guys. Heath, I'll miss you so much; I've never experienced this from a movie in my life. I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet you and tell you in person.

I know!  I was over there as well, and couldn't believe the troll posts.  I probably shouldn't even mention the unpleasantness here.

I know my true home, though!  I give thanks for my Bettermost family everyday!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2008, 02:07:32 am »
Hey Brokies.  

I heard about this tragic news at the airport.   I was stunned to say the least.    The news was via a text message a co-worker recieved.   I was hoping it was a rumor and incorrect.   Alas it wasn't.    

Suicide was my first thought.   I thought "well maybe he was distraught over the breakup.  Did he lose visitation rights?"    There had to be a reason.   His career was still climbing.  The Batman movie would certainly have paid well.   He had the world by the shorthairs.    But I suppose none of that matters when you are unhappy.    Drugs.   I hate them so.

Heath is Ennis.   Ennis is Heath.   Ennis is frozen in our minds after the movie.   Now Heath is too.   So sad.

I wonder how Jake reacted?

Sorry for the rambling.    :'(

Hi John Gallagher!    Thanks for checking in.   Please give Jenny and Meryl a hug from me when you see them next.    I miss all my NY Brokies so much.

I will! I'm meeting Meryl tomorrow morning around eleven--I'm sure we'll have a coffee and a little cry. We'll also probably walk by Broome Street. It's probably wrong to do so, but--somehow not. (We'll have good thoughts, not bad ones--or worst, small ones.)

xx
John
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2008, 02:07:49 am »
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline RT

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:58 am »
My memories of Heath Ledger:

Out of the blue, a friend called me at my Chicago office today and said, “Go to TMZ.  Brace yourself because this is bad.”  I knew someone had died and of course my browser took forever to open the site.  I was stunned. 

After a short trip to the restroom and a chance to catch my breath, I looked out the window down to the now empty, snow-covered lot below at Washington and Franklin, where Heath had spent months on the set of The Dark Knight, which was only recently covered with trailers and fanfare. 

Heath, whom I could periodically see from my window above when he would arrive at the set in the late afternoon, had been in close proximity to me many times during the Summer in preparation for the night shoots on our city streets.  His call time was after 2:30PM.  I remember watching him several times enter and exit what appeared to be the make-up trailer, curious as to why I had somehow decided not to pursue meeting him when a short time earlier I went to great lengths with no success.  Now he was standing right beneath me, day after day, for months. 

This thought struck me strange since as a journalist in the film business I had once flown to LA during Brokeback Oscar fever to meet him post-screening for a quick interview where he did not show up, canceling in the clinch to tend to Michelle and Matilda, both of whom were ill and he felt wrong leaving alone, even for just a few hours.   I got over it, but it was a bit of a blow at the time!

Two years ago, I was nearly unable to separate Heath from Ennis, and only sometime later when I realized I could almost not watch Brokeback anymore because of the sense memories and emotions attached, did my fascination start to subside a bit after he went on to other roles and I came back to reality. 

Today I regret not going downstairs and pursuing a meeting with the guy to explain to him just how much Ennis affected me.  What I really wanted to say would have embarrassed me and there was likely no way to say it and remain a respected professional.  Perhaps I was afraid.  I’ve met many stars in this line of work but his achievement in Brokeback was monumental and meaningful, and one for the books.  Indelible.  Profound.  Once in a lifetime. 

Perhaps I just knew that such an encounter would have shattered my iconic illusions, that when standing face to face with him, the mythic and poetic character would dissipate before me.  I would see that he was just a real person. 

Today I was painfully reminded of this.  But I will always have the myth, if not the man. 

RT

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2008, 02:14:04 am »
Thank you for sharing your memories with us RT. How beautiful!

And welcome to Bettermost. I'm sorry it had to be on such a sad day, but we sure are glad you are here! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2008, 02:15:51 am »
My memories of Heath Ledger:

Out of the blue, a friend called me at my Chicago office today and said, “Go to TMZ.  Brace yourself because this is bad.”  I knew someone had died and of course my browser took forever to open the site.  I was stunned. 

After a short trip to the restroom and a chance to catch my breath, I looked out the window down to the now empty, snow-covered lot below where Heath had spent months on the set of The Dark Knight, which was only recently covered with trailers and fanfare. 

Heath, whom I could periodically see from my window above when he would arrive at the set in the late afternoon, and had been in close proximity to me many times during the Summer in preparation for the night shoots on our city streets.  His call time was after 2:30PM.  I remember watching him enter and exit what appeared to be the make-up trailer several times, curious as to why I had somehow decided not to pursue meeting him when a short time earlier I went to great lengths with no success.  Now he was standing right beneath me, day after day, for months. 

This thought struck me strange since as a journalist in the film business I had once flown to LA during Brokeback Oscar fever to meet him post-screening for a quick interview where he did not show up, canceling in the clinch to tend to Michelle and Matilda, both of whom were ill and he felt wrong leaving alone, even for just a few hours.   I got over it, but it was a bit of a blow at the time!

Two years ago, I was nearly unable to separate Heath from Ennis, and only sometime later when I realized I could almost not watch Brokeback anymore because of the sense memories and emotions attached, did my fascination start to subside a bit after he went on to other roles and I came back to reality. 

Today I regret not going downstairs and pursuing a meeting with the guy to explain to him just how much Ennis affected me.  What I really wanted to say would have embarrassed me and there was likely no way to say it and remain a respected professional.  Perhaps I was afraid.  I’ve met many stars in this line of work but his achievement in Brokeback was monumental and meaningful, and one for the books.  Indelible.  Profound.  Once in a lifetime. 

Perhaps I just knew that such an encounter would have shattered my iconic illusions, that when standing face to face with him, the mythic and poetic character would dissipate before me.  I would see that he was just a real person. 

Today I was painfully reminded of this.  But I will always have the myth, if not the man. 

RT

Thanks, rt, and good to see you.  

I got to see Heath in real life, and I was still in awe of him and his ability.

Offline Rainwolf

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2008, 02:22:35 am »
I curse my computer screen quite often, but not in the context I did today. I still can't believe it. RIP Heath, you, and your abilities will be missed.