Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 377414 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #310 on: December 18, 2008, 12:14:03 pm »

Heath was nominated for a SAG award today! :)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28294974/
'Doubt’ tops SAG Awards pack with 5 nods
Streep, Hoffman get acting nominations; Ledger also among nominees

LOS ANGELES - The Catholic school drama “Doubt” led contenders Thursday for the Screen Actors Guild Awards with five nominations, including honors for Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis.

The late Heath Ledger also earned a supporting-actor nomination, whose maniacal turn as the Joker in “The Dark Knight” has made him an Academy Awards front-runner. The Batman blockbuster also had a nomination for best stunt ensemble.

Streep has a lead-actress nomination, while Hoffman, Adams and Davis are competing in supporting categories for “Doubt,” a war-of-wills tale between an old-school nun and a progressive priest.

“Doubt” also has a nomination for overall cast performance, along with the romantic fantasy “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” the Richard Nixon saga “Frost/Nixon,” the gay-rights drama “Milk” and the poor-boy-makes-good tale “Slumdog Millionaire.”

Kate Winslet grabbed two nominations, best actress for the domestic drama “Revolutionary Road” and supporting actress for the Holocaust-themed story “The Reader.”

Other best-actress nominees were: Anne Hathaway, “Rachel Getting Married”; Angelina Jolie, “Changeling”; and Melissa Leo, “Frozen River.”

Nominated for best actor were: Richard Jenkins, “The Visitor”; Frank Langella, “Frost/Nixon”; Sean Penn, “Milk”; Brad Pitt, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”; and Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler.”

The 15th annual SAG Awards will air live on TNT and TBS Jan. 25, four weeks before the Academy Awards.

The SAG picks lined up much the same as last week’s nominations for the Golden Globes, the second-biggest Hollywood film honors after the Academy Awards. The most notable snub was Winslet’s “Revolutionary Road” co-star Leonardo DiCaprio, who had a Globe nomination for dramatic actor but was overlooked by SAG.

The same thing happened the last time Winslet and DiCaprio starred together. SAG nominations for 1997 included a best-actress slot for Winslet in “Titanic,” but DiCaprio was left out of the best-actor lineup.

Oscar nominations that year also excluded DiCaprio, while Winslet earned a spot in the best-actress field.

Joining Adams, Davis and Winslet among supporting-actress picks were Penelope Cruz for “Vicky Cristina Barcelona” and Taraji P. Henson for “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” Henson also shared in the cast nomination for “Benjamin Button” and a cast nomination among TV dramas for “Boston Legal.”

Besides Ledger and Hoffman, supporting-actor nominees included Josh Brolin, “Milk”; Robert Downey Jr., “Tropic Thunder”; and Dev Patel, “Slumdog Millionaire.”

Last January’s SAG ceremony took place during a writers’ strike that affected other Hollywood honors, including the Golden Globes, which were canceled. The guild awards come amid fresh labor strife, with SAG leaders now threatening a strike as negotiations with producers over a new actors contract have stalled.

SAG Awards recipients often go on to win Academy Awards. Some years, all four of the top SAG winners later take home Oscars for the same roles, though last year, the guild went only two-for-four.

Daniel Day-Lewis won best actor at SAG and the Oscars for “There Will Be Blood” and Javier Bardem received both supporting-actor prizes for “No Country for Old Men.”

Julie Christie won best actress at SAG for “Away From Her” while the Oscar went to Marion Cotillard for “La Vie En Rose.” Ruby Dee earned the supporting-actress honor from SAG for “American Gangster,” but Tilda Swinton won the Oscar for “Michael Clayton.”

Film and TV nominees were chosen by two groups of 2,100 people randomly chosen from the guild’s 120,000 members. The guild’s full membership is eligible to vote for winners.

The show will include the guild’s life-achievement award for James Earl Jones.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #311 on: December 18, 2008, 12:25:54 pm »
Heath was nominated for a SAG award today! :)

I posted three pics of Heath and Jake at the SAG awards 2006 this morning on HHH. How fitting.

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #312 on: December 18, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
Kim Ledger on accepting Heath’s Golden Globe award if given

THE fuss being created about who will accept Heath Ledger's Golden Globe award posthumously should he win has been settled. Kim Ledger, father of the Golden Globe nominee, called Confidential yesterday to notify us that one of Ledger's The Dark Knight co-stars is expected to accept the actor's award posthumously should Heath for his role as the Joker win in January.

Christian Bale and Morgan Freeman are prime candidates for the job - not Kim and not, it seems, Ledger's ex Michelle Williams.

Ledger Sr also dismissed rumours that he was in a battle with Warner Brothers over who should claim the gong.

He said he would be unable to attend the ceremony due to work commitments in Australia.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,24816702-5013560,00.html?from=public_rss
Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2008, 10:15:53 pm »
Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #314 on: December 20, 2008, 02:39:31 pm »
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24795626-5009160,00.html

N'Fa working on Ledger tribute

By Jonathon Moran
December 14, 2008 12:00am

HEATH Ledger's close friend and creative collaborator N'Fa Forster-Jones is trying to work out how to mark the anniversary of the actor's death.

Ledger, who died of an accidental prescription drug overdose on January 22, directed two video clips from N'Fa's solo album, Cause and Effect. The pair were long-time friends, meeting at age four while growing up in Perth.

``I don't know, sometimes I find things too much to write about so maybe something will happen,'' N'Fa told Insider at last weekend's Homebake festival when asked about the anniversary of Ledger's passing.

``We are trying to work out some sort of celebration. I am tyring to work out all of that, how to deal with it.''

Ledger and N'Fa were in the process of setting up a production company _ called Rocking Chair _ before hisuntimely death.

``Things have kind of changed since his passing,'' he said.

``A lot of things had to fold because it was sort of impossible. So all of us who have, I guess, been left in waiting are all just working out ways forward and trying to be positive and also keep his spirit alive because he was always filling us with energy and positivity.''

Prior to going solo, N'Fa fronted acclaimed hip hop outfit 1200 Techniques. He's spent much of this year travelling the world, working on no less than five albums, the first of which is a project titled Brain Wash.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2008, 07:24:26 pm »
While languishing in an airport over the weekend I bought the German quality news magazine "Der Spiegel's" 2008 cavalcade issue. It's filled with in-depth articles summarizing the main events of 2008. On the movie front, it singles out Heath and TDK for praise. Over 2 full pages, it concludes that TDK is the film of the year, and that Heath is the star of the year.

The lengthy article goes into the wonder of Heath's acting in TDK particularly and also summarizes his life and career, and moreover analyzes and praises the impact of TDK. There are 3 pictuers - one of Heath and Jake/Ennis and Jack during the dozy embrace, one of Batman and the Joker in the interrogation room, and one of Nicholson's Joker. And though I can't give you the full extremely positive and admiration-filled article, here is a couple of small excerpts.

The article describes Heath's Joker as;

"....ein luziferisch strahlende Verführer, wie man so unheimlich, so gefährlich und zugleich unwiederstehlich ins Kino kaum je einen gesehen hat." (A devilishly magnificent seducer, one so sinister, so dangerous and so irresistible that something similar may never have been seen in cinemas.) 

The article concludes as follows:

..."der Joker wird eine der Super-Rollen bleiben, an die sich so bald keiner anderer wagt." (The Joker will remain one of those "Super-Roles" that no other actor will dare take on for some considerable time to come".)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #316 on: December 21, 2008, 08:35:33 pm »
While languishing in an airport over the weekend I bought the German quality news magazine "Der Spiegel's" 2008 cavalcade issue. It's filled with in-depth articles summarizing the main events of 2008. On the movie front, it singles out Heath and TDK for praise. Over 2 full pages, it concludes that TDK is the film of the year, and that Heath is the star of the year.

The lengthy article goes into the wonder of Heath's acting in TDK particularly and also summarizes his life and career, and moreover analyzes and praises the impact of TDK. There are 3 pictuers - one of Heath and Jake/Ennis and Jack during the dozy embrace, one of Batman and the Joker in the interrogation room, and one of Nicholson's Joker. And though I can't give you the full extremely positive and admiration-filled article, here is a couple of small excerpts.

The article describes Heath's Joker as;

"....ein luziferisch strahlende Verführer, wie man so unheimlich, so gefährlich und zugleich unwiederstehlich ins Kino kaum je einen gesehen hat." (A devilishly magnificent seducer, one so sinister, so dangerous and so irresistible that something similar may never have been seen in cinemas.) 

The article concludes as follows:

..."der Joker wird eine der Super-Rollen bleiben, an die sich so bald keiner anderer wagt." (The Joker will remain one of those "Super-Roles" that no other actor will dare take on for some considerable time to come".)

Very interesting, Mika, thanks.  I have to agree with that very insightful author in Der Spiegel:)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #317 on: December 22, 2008, 03:03:46 am »
Meet Scott Campbell
December 3, 2008 on 4:03 pm | In -Yale Breslin, Art, Other-NewMedia |
Scott Campbell, a Brooklyn based tattoo artist, recently compiled some of his archived work (both past and present) to create a book of his accomplishments to date.

---------

......I’ve been humbled by the honor of tattooing memorial tattoos on Heath Ledger’s mother, father and sisters at his house the night before his memorial services.

Would like to know more about that.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:13 am »
Well, it's all going to start up again, the year end tributes to those we lost.
Not to mention the year anniversary coming up in 23 days.
I'll never forget that day. Someone left me a message on my cell "hey, I heard someone from Brokeback died but I didn't hear who."
What a schmuck to leave me a message like that. Needless to say I found out who and the tears came.
But, they went to. Life goes on but we must always remember those things and people who changed and shaped our lives.
Thank you Ennis for showing me the way, thank you Heath for bringing me Ennis!

Heath Ledger, Jan. 22, age 28: Ledger's shocking accidental death, from a combination of prescription painkillers, sleeping aids and other medications, cut short a brilliant career -- of which we got glimpses in films like "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Patriot." Ledger's chilling, tormented portrayal of the Joker, in the posthumously released summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight," reminded his fans all over again of the enormous loss of this true talent. Ledger's contested estate was recently settled, with all of it going to his daughter with former fiancée Michelle Williams, Matilda. "To most of the world, Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise," Ledger's father, Kim, said after his death. "We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend."
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »
Well, it's all going to start up again, the year end tributes to those we lost.
Not to mention the year anniversary coming up in 23 days.
I'll never forget that day. Someone left me a message on my cell "hey, I heard someone from Brokeback died but I didn't hear who."
What a schmuck to leave me a message like that. Needless to say I found out who and the tears came.
But, they went to. Life goes on but we must always remember those things and people who changed and shaped our lives.
Thank you Ennis for showing me the way, thank you Heath for bringing me Ennis!

Heath Ledger, Jan. 22, age 28: Ledger's shocking accidental death, from a combination of prescription painkillers, sleeping aids and other medications, cut short a brilliant career -- of which we got glimpses in films like "Brokeback Mountain" and "The Patriot." Ledger's chilling, tormented portrayal of the Joker, in the posthumously released summer blockbuster "The Dark Knight," reminded his fans all over again of the enormous loss of this true talent. Ledger's contested estate was recently settled, with all of it going to his daughter with former fiancée Michelle Williams, Matilda. "To most of the world, Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise," Ledger's father, Kim, said after his death. "We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend."

That's a beautiful picture, Rich, and a moving tribute.  Thanks, Friend.
Ich bin ein Brokie...