Re: Jake
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2008, 12:10:37 am »

" . . . when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong."

It just doesn' sink in that those times are over...  :'(

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2008, 07:33:17 am »
If you look at the Pap pictures spare yourself and don't look at the comments at the bottom of the page some of them are really ugly.  I just don't know what gets into some people.  :'(

Yes, there were a few silly comments but a lot of good ones and supporting. I'm not sure if some of them are trolls or idiots that fail to realize that Jake was in LA for Heath's memorial. Earlier reports said that Jake was on location in New Mexico filming his new movie. So, I think it is pretty obvious he went to LA for the memorial. I'm only speculating but I imagine he spent the night quite upset, and Reese suggested they go for a walk the next day so he could calm down and return to work. After all, life goes on.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline whatthefuckbenj

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2008, 07:21:18 pm »
Betting Jake delivers a tribute to Heath at the Academy Awards...

Is it certain that he'll be attenting? Is he scheduled to do something there?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2008, 07:36:23 pm »

Well, if there is a broadcast ceremony, I would think there's still enough time to arrange something and invite Jake to do it. That would be very nice and very appropriate, though I'm sure extremely hard for him. Maybe they could have Daniel Day-Lewis do it, though I don't know if I could get through another emotional tribute from him -- those for some reason just strike me as particularly gut-wrenching.

BTW, welcome whatthefuckbenj!. I see this was your first post, and we're glad to have you join us here.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2008, 09:53:34 pm »

If the Awards actually go on, what with the strike and all, I think it's very unlikely he'll be asked to do anything.  Jake isn't nominated.  None of the movies he was in have been nominated, he's never won an award, and it's been two years since BBM, so I'm doubtful of him even being invited unless it's really morbid on the part of the Academy to invite him, simply for a reaction shot when they show Heath's picture on the annual memorial slideshow.  Heath's loss is a great tragedy, moreso for his demise at such a young age, the loss of the movies we will never see him in, but I don't think the Academy will single him out, considering some actors lost in the last year have had decades of movie-making behind them.  It would seem strange.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2008, 10:14:19 pm »
...But they might well ask Maggie to present something, I'm thinking.

After all, Maggie is the "female lead" in the, by all accounts, most anticipated upcoming film of 2008 (and don't tell my that kind of commercial drive doesn't impact who gets the stage limelight at the Oscars...)

And she just finished filming opposite Heath in his last completed film, - unlike her brother's experience which now is more than 2 years ago.

So... perhaps?

Offline opinionista

According to People, "Jake Is Taking Heath's Death 'Harder Than Most"
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2008, 07:29:40 am »
Jake Is Taking Heath's Death 'Harder Than Most'
By Bryan Alexander

Heath Ledger's sudden death has been especially tough on his good friend – and Brokeback Mountain costar – Jake Gyllenhaal.

The actor, who is godfather to Ledger's two-year-old daughter Matilda, has been devastated by last week's news. Says one Gyllenhaal friend, "Jake is taking this harder than most people."

Nowhere is that more apparent than on the New Mexico set of Gyllenhaal's latest movie, Brothers.

"This has had a strong personal affect on [Jake]," says a set source. The insider adds that Gyllenhaal left the set immediately after learning of Ledger's – but he flew back on a commercial flight to shoot an additional scene Thursday.

"He was there, but he wasn't with us. It was obviously a major trauma," says the movie source. "These guys were very close. [Jake] was sitting in the director's chair staring off into space."

Gyllenhaal has been off since shooting that scene, and was photographed Saturday looking subdued with girlfriend Reese Witherspoon in Los Angeles. Set sources say director Jim Sheriden is shooting around the absent actor during his personal leave.

The 27-year-old's somber mood is sharp contrast to his happier times on the set of Brothers. During an early scene, a set source describes Gyllenhaal preparing for an intense prison scene. "Jake reaches into his pocket and takes out a picture of Heath Ledger and sticks it on the prison wall. Like those prisoners put [loved ones] on the wall, but Jake's was Heath Ledger," says the source. "That was hilarious. It was a nice moment."

The source adds, "When you think back on it now, it's touching."

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20174820,00.html
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2008, 07:57:55 am »
Natali, you beat me to posting this article.

"Gyllenhaal has been off since shooting that scene"

I hope this is true. I hope for Jake he's been given time off and can mourn someplace privately, without having to work and without any paps bothering him.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2008, 09:23:34 am »
If the Awards actually go on, what with the strike and all, I think it's very unlikely he'll be asked to do anything.  Jake isn't nominated.  None of the movies he was in have been nominated, he's never won an award, and it's been two years since BBM, so I'm doubtful of him even being invited unless it's really morbid on the part of the Academy to invite him, simply for a reaction shot when they show Heath's picture on the annual memorial slideshow.  Heath's loss is a great tragedy, moreso for his demise at such a young age, the loss of the movies we will never see him in, but I don't think the Academy will single him out, considering some actors lost in the last year have had decades of movie-making behind them.  It would seem strange.

He is a member of the Academy by virtue of the fact that he was nominated for an award. I think all members are invited to attend the ceremony but obviously not all attend. It would seem to be his decision to attend or not, not the other way around.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!