Author Topic: stong relationships  (Read 5497 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
stong relationships
« on: February 08, 2008, 02:46:16 pm »
hey, i thought i'd give this a try.  since the divorce rate is so high now, and there's thousands of break-ups everyday, i was wondering what things keep a relationship together.  i know there are lot's of components to a "good" relationship, and the options i listed are most likey of equal importance, but i was curious as to what is MOST important to you.
feel free to elaborate on your answer, or tell me what i've missed.
thanks
leigh-ann (forsythia)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: stong relationships
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 03:02:48 pm »
I said all of the above because I think each element is very important, but that said, I think trust is paramount.

and  "Hi" Leigh-Ann welcome to Bettermost great idea for a poll!
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:38:26 pm »
I think relationships aren't good or bad. To me it is an experience in which sometimes you have a good time, and sometimes you don't. It depends on how you look at it. There are people who are in abusive relationships and think it is successful because they managed to stay together despite the fights, the beatings and the neglecting. And there are people who think their relationships were a failure because it didn't last eventhough they were loved, respected and had fun most of the time.

I know the general idea is that the definition of a good relationship is the one that lasts a long time. I think that is wrong. A short relationship is not necessarily a bad relationship or a failed one. I have had several relationship that didn't last for a wide range of reasons. However, I don't think they were bad. I felt loved, I had a good time, I learned something. Obviously not everything was fun, and maybe it was best if they didn't last but what matters to me is what I learned from them. Some even blossomed into wonderful friendships.

My grandparents were married 55 years. A lot of people thought theirs was an good example of a good relationship because they never divorced. I didn't think so. They practically hated each other. It was the relationship from hell. I am actually glad my mother was wiser than my grandmother and put an end to her marriage to my father before things got really bad. I know there are many people out there who are able to keep a good relationship for a long time, I am glad for them. But I also suspect that's not very common.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:39:04 pm »
for me its being comfortable being myself around Callum - and he makes me laugh.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:56:58 pm »
Commitment. Because at some point this will be one of the few things that will keep you together. Things like sexual attraction and passion/romance often lose their fire over a period of time. Commitment is very important from the jump start of the relationship.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 02:22:17 am »
Trust, IMO, is the most important.  If you don't have it, none of the other qualities mean very much.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:23 am »
I placed all of the above. And I would add much more too!!

To me, we must not forget that there are MANY DIFFERENT KINDS of relationships!!

Good thread... interesting!! May it keep on a very long time. I feel that we NEED it!!

More later... since I must rush to create my painting and do my chores too.

Hugs!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 05:10:52 pm »
Great poll Friend!  I actually picked "friendship" because I feel like that encompasses some of the other things like "respect" and "comfort."  And, the more I think about it, the more I realize that a baseline element of friendship is really crucial for me in a relationship.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 10:06:33 pm »
thanks again for the responses everyone.
it's interesting.  most people picked comfort, trust, commitment, etc....vs. sexual attraction and passion; however, it's those things that often times lead us into affairs, once some of those elments start to fade in our current relationships.  although, sexual, or romantic elements aren't things that hold a relationship together, often it is what attracted us to that person in the beginning, and the disolusion of it can make us stray.
sometimes the "comfort" can be too comfortable.
so.......any opinions on how to keep all the elements alive ......after a long time being together?
if anyone has been in a long relationship.....how have you made it work?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:33:24 am »

if anyone has been in a long relationship.....how have you made it work?

This is a really good question... because I've never been in a long-term relationship. :(  So, I'd surely like to know.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie