Author Topic: I had a life, once  (Read 37066 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: I had a life, once
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »
Here I am, a pale trembling relic of my former self (remember, I said I stopped eating and exercising), with an editor screaming at me that he wants the disaster preparedness article yesterday!! and I am reading my own damn fanfic.

Something is seriously wrong with this picture.... ;D

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »
Maybe my life will be 'back to normal' after the 12th?  Or after Leslie finishes the story?

But then again, what's 'normal'?  :D

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 06:09:19 pm »
Things look pretty much the same on the outside.  But instead of becoming glued to the couch, I'm now glued to my desk chair, on the computer, sharing and absorbing the oberservations of others in my same situation.  I can't just sit and watch TV or a movie like I used to, let it "entertain" me, I crave more meaning.  I was OCD on the imdb site for months, but have finally realized there is more to life.  Like this site!   Oh well, like I said, pretty much the same outside. 

I have started engaging with other people more, doing things, dinners with friends, calling up just to chat, etc; rather than sitting home and "relaxing" (another word for tuning out). I'm engaging more.  I watch some of my favorite "old" movies again, with renewed appreciation and a more poignant intrigue, they affect me more emotionally somehow. I tear up at scenes that used to just give me tingles, that sorta thing.   

Reading fan fics has become my recent fanaticism.  I have actually bought several 3 ring binders, and sit at night while watching something banal on TV, and punch holes and organize collected fan fics, hundreds of pages of fan reviews from various websites, critical reviews, special threads from the "old" imdb board, etc into an organized BBM library.  My partner thinks I've completely lost it. I'm now on my 9th or 10th binder!  I know down the road I'll get to reading all of it again, but right now, I'm still reading all the fan fic I can get my hands on.  I only catalog ones I really like, and there are about a dozen in my library right now, some completed, some still works in progress.

If I had more $ and more wall space, another recent facination or fanaticism, is finding screen caps of my favorite shots. I print them out on a color laser printer, and they go into the scrapbooks as section dividers/headers.  I  uploaded one of my favorites to photofiddle.com and had them put an "oil painting" effect on it and digitally print it onto an 18" by 12" canvas. That one I'm going to stretch and hang on the wall. 

I still have only watched the film three times completely through.  It's still just too sad, and I act like the "walking wounded" (sorta like Ennis) for a couple of days afterward. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of you guys at the BBQ in August.  Making my travel plans this week. 
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 06:24:01 pm »

I know down the road I'll get to reading all of it again, but right now, I'm still reading all the fan fic I can get my hands on.  I only catalog ones I really like, and there are about a dozen in my library right now, some completed, some still works in progress.

Pat--welcome to our little group. Looks like you are new here. Pull up a chair, have a piece o'cherry cake.

I hope, hope HOPE that my story is among those you have cataloged. I have gotten lots of favorable reviews and believe me, I need those positive comments to justify the hours I have spent not doing other stuff (see my original post). In case you are not sure who I am....I am MaineWriter (aka Leslie) and my story is A Love Born From Steel. Sixteen chapters posted, I am working on no. 17.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2853224/1/

Leslie
MaineWriter
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 10:46:47 pm »
Reading fan fics has become my recent fanaticism.  I have actually bought several 3 ring binders, and sit at night while watching something banal on TV, and punch holes and organize collected fan fics

You too?! Phew!

O0

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 10:59:20 pm »
Posted by: DavidinHartford
See?   I'm even thinking and talking in BBM-Speak!

Reading through this fantastic thread... it occurs to me that we really do all talk in a kind of BBM code.  I LOVE it!  These funny little phrases and references from the movie really make BetterMost feel like quite the exclusive club... We even have our own language!!  Certain words and phrases will never seem the same to me again.  Adorable.   I find myself thinking in BBM-Speak all the time.

Let be. :D

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:27 pm »
We even have our own language!!  Certain words and phrases will never seem the same to me again.  Adorable.   I find myself thinking in BBM-Speak all the time.

Me too! And I get a secret little thrill whenever I say something in ordinary conversation like "I swear" or "Tell you what" or "hunh" or "high-altitude f*ck" (OK, so I've never actually said that last one).  ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:40 pm »
As for me, I try to incorporate the word "woolies" into as many conversations as possible these days. 

Offline welliwont

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
OT
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 11:31:41 pm »
I found this paragraph from an article while surfing the webby web today:

Jake Gyllenhaal's brain-liquifying levels of dreaminess have made him a universal object of desire, with every surfacing photograph of him and companion used as definitive evidence in the ongoing "He's on our team!" tug-of-war.

Who does not agree with that description of our boy???
Then the clouds opened up and God said, "I hate you, Alfafa."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 11:58:04 pm »
Well, as much as I do find Jake truly adorable, he'd have a hard time working his way onto my "team" (since I'm a girl-on-girl kind of girl). ;)

But, I do quite love the phrase "brain-liquifying levels of dreaminess..." :D  He does have some of the prettiest eyes ever.