Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201585 times)

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2006, 04:57:47 am »
But I will say that the people who write the subtitles are in the same position we are -- they just have to listen and watch and try to figure it out for themselves.

Uhhhh yeah.. referring the new guys to my thread on my Malaysian bootleg subtitles...

...it also helps if they speak English.  ;D
Chut up!

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2006, 03:35:00 pm »
Perhaps it's just that they all actually give less attention to all the subtitilng and translating correctness and completeness than we do? :o  ;)

Sometimes I wonder if even Annie, Larry, Diana, Ang, Heath and Jake paid as much attention to the minutiae of this film as we do!  :laugh:

Don Wroe is mentioned in the screenplay and short story, and I would assume the subtitlers had access to those.

"It's all right, it's all right" is in the "Story to Screenplay" version of the screenplay. No "sorry." (Neither, of course, is in the book.) But then again, it's perfectly possible to say something in the movie that wasn't in the screenplay.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2006, 03:50:59 pm »
But then again, it's perfectly possible to say something in the movie that wasn't in the screenplay.

I just realized that "I just can't stand this anymore" is in fact not in the screenplay. Pretty good example (among various others) of significant dialogue having been added probably as the scene was being filmed.

Since we're talking of possible or certain differences between the script and film, and barely unheard dialogue; - there's another "obscure, now you hear it, now you don't" moment I've been noticing for some time. It's in the scene where Jack and Ennis are riding through some woodland, directly after the scene where they meet up and Ennis brings beans. According to the script, Jack says: "I wish we'd jump a coyote. I'd love to rope a coyote" . Originally I thought they'd cut that, but now I think I distinctly hear jack saying the word "Coyote" in that scene. Anyone else hearing this?

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2006, 04:04:25 pm »
I just realized that "I just can't stand this anymore" is in fact not in the screenplay. Pretty good example (among various others) of significant dialogue having been added probably as the scene was being filmed.

Wow, that's for sure! Good catch. I guess I noticed this while reading the screenplay but forgot all about it. Now that line seems really crucial to my understanding of that scene and what follows.

As for the coyote quote, I haven't heard it. But then I have never even heard the bean quote.

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2006, 05:56:37 pm »

You are right that there are things that were added in the film that were not in the screenplay and vice versa. The whole scene after Jack says "you're late" is primarily cut out. I actually think Ennis does say "Look what I brought" ... and then he was going to pull out the beans ....  Beyond that, who knows? Then again ... a matter of interpretation.

Another sentence that is not in the screenplay, but is in the movie (that is, if we are in agreement) is when Ennis says, "Been puttin' the blocks to a good lookin' little gal over in Riverton ...."   (as an FYI ... I know this is not the complete dialogue). Afterwards, he says, "I don't know."
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2006, 06:46:00 pm »
Here’s what my ears tell me:

Jack: “You’re late.”
Ennis: “Look what I brought!”
?? (can’t tell): “Beans.”
Ennis: “Gonna cook ’em up just the way I used to.”
---
As they’re going over the deep moss, Ennis says something about “them beans” (I think).
---
As you see the two of them way back in the forest, Jack says, “I wish I could rope a coyote.”

I don't hear any dialogue when they are riding. I guess "here we go again". I will have to listen closely and see if there is anything I am not hearing.
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #106 on: June 24, 2006, 06:52:34 pm »
A friend of mine mentioned that Linda Cardellini currently plays a nurse. In the 2003 screenplay, there’s nothing about Cassie wanting to go to nursing school. In “Story to Screenplay,” it’s there. She thinks maybe they put that line in there as sort of a clever nod to Cardellini.

That would be funny. But if they're going to slyly refer to ER, shouldn't they make subtle references to Donnie Darko and A Knight's Tale and The Princess Diaries and Dawson's Creek and so on? And I'm glad they didn't feel the need to work in an allusion to any of Anna Faris' other roles ...!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2006, 09:08:15 pm »
Well, maybe the nurse reference to Linda and nursing is like the reference Lureen makes to the "ice storm"~ I would guess this is a nod to Ang Lee.  I've also often wondered if the Jolly Green Giant sign that we see behind Monroe in the peanuts scene is a goofy reference to the Hulk.  I know that Lee sometimes likes to put himself in his movies as a cameo... He does this in the Wedding Banquet for example.  So, I wonder if, especially the ice storm comment, is sort of a reference to himself.

As you see the two of them way back in the forest, Jack says, “I wish I could rope a coyote.”

LOL!   :laugh: :laugh:
That's quite a kooky line.

Well, this issue of dialogue between our boys that we can't hear is really interesting. There are at least two moments like that during the '63 summer.  When they're setting up their second camp (when Jack hoists that driftwood log up and Ennis comes over to him and maybe touches his shoulder) we can hear that conversation is going on, but we can't make out the words.  The same thing happens, also during the camp shift, there's a scene where Jack is shown on his horse positioned in stark profile to the audience and is near the sheep herd and Ennis comes ambling into the frame (he sort of emerges out of the space of the audience) with the string of mules behind him.  As he approaches Jack we can hear that they're talking... but again, it seems quite deliberate that we can't hear what they're saying.  And, then those examples of the later camping trips are other good intances of this phenomenon (as people have posted above).  The most interesting moment, I think of the filmmakers blocking our ability to hear what the boys are saying comes in the flashback... Well, here I mean we can't hear what Ennis is humming to Jack because of the soundtrack that swells and overwhelms Ennis's humming.

My theory is that all of these (many) moments of not being able to hear/ fully participate in all these scenes is meant to make us feel a little like voyeurs... that we're witnessing something intensely private between Jack and Ennis and that some of what goes on is so private that we're not granted access.  This idea of "privacy" is interesting to me lately... it reminds me of Lee's description from the DVD bonus features of the relationship being "private and precious and something they can't articulate" (I'm paraphrasing a bit... but it's turning into one of my favorite descriptions of the relationship between Jack and Ennis... especially in the early '63 stage of things).

[Apologies if I repeated anything here that's already been mentioned... I haven't re-read a lot of this thread for a long time].

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 12:23:07 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2006, 11:43:01 pm »
Me neither. But tell you what, this is the disadvantage of my viewings of the movie being only in the low (very low) two-digits. I haven't heard any of those nearly indiscenible conversations.

I can barely hear what they're saying in the tent during the hail storm. I can't hear what the radio announcer is saying when Ennis is packing for the fishing trip (though I have cranked up the volume and tried). It's due to either not seeing it enough times, or early stage hearing loss, I guess.

EDITED to correct my spelling. Did I really say "viewerings" at first?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 01:16:30 am by latjoreme »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2006, 01:32:16 am »
In the full-screen version, right after Ennis says, “If I had three hands I could!” -- for just a split second, he really does have three hands. You can see an off-camera assistant’s right hand helping lift Alma Jr.

Get out!!  :o Really?! That's amazing.

As for your translation of other conversations, goadra, thank you for those. I especially love the "It's cold!" "Close it up!" If only a TS3 had followed!  :-*