Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201589 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #240 on: September 26, 2006, 01:17:09 pm »
Everyone must have heard this but me. Some one had pointed out in another thread that in FNIT Jack says "Ennis" just before he pulls him down. I check my DVD and he does.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #241 on: October 04, 2006, 12:25:43 pm »
What does Jack say when they have just moved the sheep to the 2nd location and are on the mountain whith the sheep? It end with what sound like "...stay up here." but I can't make out what's before that.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #242 on: October 04, 2006, 03:37:06 pm »
Back to the mysterious "I love you":

As promised, I made my husband listening to it. Volume cranked up, I gave him order to listen carefully to Ennis's breathing, not the music. And I said "now" a second before ILY is said/not said.
Then I asked him if he had heard anything aside the breathing? No. Maybe some breathed words? No.

Next I told him what the discussion is about and made him watch and listen a second time: Still nothing.

Achievements of the procedure:

1) Definately no I love you according to my husband.

2) Some very bemused looks by my husband. A shaking of his head and his closing comment: "You all are nuts." Now I have it officially certified from my beloved man: I'm nuts regarding BBM. But don't you dare to laugh: you were all included in his judgement  ;D.

3) My vote stays the same: an undecided 'maybe'.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #243 on: October 04, 2006, 09:21:11 pm »
In the fancy surround sound viewing (that sounds fun by the way!)... what was your conclusion about the "I'm sorry" controversy in regards to SNIT?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #244 on: October 04, 2006, 09:47:57 pm »
In the fancy surround sound viewing (that sounds fun by the way!)... what was your conclusion about the "I'm sorry" controversy in regards to SNIT?
As I always heard, it's " s'alright" three times, the first two before Jack nods.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 09:52:15 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #245 on: October 05, 2006, 12:10:18 am »
Jack sort of tosses his head to screen left and says (faintly), “...set up camp?” Ennis nods in response.
I hear it clearly now, but not really sure what hes says right before, "Sheep will be safe up here?"

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2006, 12:13:38 am »
Hey y'all!  What an interesting thread.  I found it today and this actually prompted me to unwrap the DVD that I had bought the day it was realeased.  (I know, don't ask, but I hadn't been able to watch it all this time.)

Anyway, I put it on my 32" LCD TV with the sound run through Bose speakers, cranked up. I'm a musician and am considered to have pretty good hearing.  Here's what *I* experienced of the scenes in question with repeated rewinds.  I have the widescreen version if that matters.
First, btw, the first time tent scene was very dark - I could hardly SEE anything!  Aren't all DVDs the same?  How are people managing to brighten the picture?  I could see clothes grabbing and grappling, but I never saw Ennis's hand on top of Jack's hand or anywhere else for that matter.  Lots of grunts and noises.  There was a breathy exhalation that could have been a whispered "fuck", but definitely not 'fuck me'.  At least , I did not hear it.

The second time in tent:  Jack said (whispered very softly) "I'm sorry" 2 times followed by 1 "s'all right' at which point he nodded.  I could not hear any 'lie back' or 'come on' or anything else.  Btw, I just love the music throughout this scene.

Ennis with the 2 shirts in closet:  Never heard an 'oh, Jack', but, there was barely whispered, more like a breathy exhalation of what sounded like 'I love you' right before scene cuts.  It fit the lip movements, too.  So it's not like he said it out loud even though he was alone, but more like he was thinking it and it came out as a sigh.

Anyway, that's my interpretation, and I'm stickin' to it.   ;)

With Ennis' mumbling, there were a lot of spots that were really difficult to catch all the words spoken.  Easy to miss stuff w/o paying diligent attention, fer sure.
Thanx for letting me join in!   :-*
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2006, 12:29:32 am »
  So it's not like he said it out loud even though he was alone, but more like he was thinking it and it came out as a sigh.

Anyway, that's my interpretation, and I'm stickin' to it.   ;)

Rightly so -- that's a great interpretation, NavyVet! I've never seen anyone put it that way before, but it fits exactly. It's like something halfway between speech and thought.

Has anyone else every sort of half-whispered "I love you" to themselves, when thinking about a loved one? I have. And that's exactly how it sounds -- like exhalation with lip movements that might possibly be words. If someone had caught me on film, the audience could argue for months afterward whether I'd said it or not (that is, assuming they would care one way or the other  :laugh:).

Thanx for letting me join in!   :-*

Thank YOU! And wecome to the discussion.

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2006, 02:04:29 pm »
another "mystery" scene/script item is at the beginning...

When Jack and Ennis are looking at each other outside Agearre's trailer, there is a quick segment, just before Jack is shown shaving, where Jack looks at Ennis, then Jack lowers his head and his hat covers his eyes.

At that moment, Jack's lips move. I believe Jack mumbles "oh my God" or "oh man" to indicate from the get go that Jack is enamoured with Ennis.

Anyone else see this? thanks!

Offline jpwagoneer1964

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2006, 02:12:10 pm »
Hi Katherine,

I do see something, I had never seen before, but I can't tell what he is mouthing.