Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201597 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2007, 09:41:59 pm »
This was my take on "I love you".

I did say 'I love you' ta Jack. Some folks didn't think so but Ah did. Hope Jack could hear me, only time I ever said it. Always did though and he knowed it.

From 'Photo Captions'.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #281 on: July 06, 2007, 05:47:49 pm »
I had to  crank up the volume and watch Ennis's mouth to be sure, but it's definitely there.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #282 on: July 18, 2007, 03:46:30 pm »
I just came upon this thread for the firsttime.
I'm going to get the DVD and watch for it.
I'm so glad this has been pointed out.
I know he did but to actually hear/see the words being said will be awesome!

You know how some people have said they think Ennis says "I love you" when he finds the shirts? Well, I have always been so skeptical about this that I've never even bothered to look for it.

But today I was skipping around my rental DVD, watching key scenes maybe for one the last time until fall. And I had the volume up higher than usual and noticed I kept hearing little muttered things that I hadn't heard in the past. So when I got to the shirt scene I decided to listen -- and watch -- really closely.

And now I think I agree.

I looked for it exactly the way I've tried to figure out "sorry/s'alright" -- watching for whether Ennis' lips move -- and in that scene they don't, which is why I moved to the "no sorry" camp. But in the closet scene his lips do move -- only you can hardly see it because the shirts are in the way. It's right after he takes a deep breath, trying to smell Jack's scent on the shirts. You can only see about a quarter inch of his mouth. But he moves as it if saying three words -- those three particular ones, in fact. And under the music, you can just barely hear something that sounds like three words being muttered.

I rewound and watched it about four more times with the volume cranked to 60 and my eyes about three inches away from the screen, and each time I became more and more convinced.

What do you all think?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 01:56:41 pm by loneleeb3 »
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:43 pm »
I've been mining some of the back pages of Open Forum lately looking for great old topics to revive. There are so many gems buried in the deeper pages of this forum

:)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #284 on: February 29, 2008, 01:09:27 pm »
I've been mining some of the back pages of Open Forum lately looking for great old topics to revive. There are so many gems buried in the deeper pages of this forum

:)

I'm sure where're... :) As this of remembering how Ennis realises Jack's love and his also in a more complete and assumed way than he never did when his partner was alive.I've always said that he begins a self-knowledge and self-acceptance only when he becomes alone;he does a kind of "coming out" before Jack's parents and I guess this is a kind of liberation for him.So,it's logical that he admits in loud voice what he has saved inside him during so many years and that he only refers to as "this thing".It's such a pity that it's too late to live it fully... :'(
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2017, 01:13:26 am »
Hey, serious crayons!

You know what, after that HD video on Youtube of Ennis in Jack's closet, i do think he says "Oh, Jack" when / just before he touches the pocket of Jack's shirt.
I also see his mouth moving and hushing something, what you say is an "i love you", but it feels to be sooo quick and unnatural that i chose to think that he is not saying it ;). But that's just my choice. :)

This thread was extremely illuminating, by the way!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #286 on: June 12, 2017, 10:12:58 pm »
I have to say, I've never heard the "I Love you" until I saw the film in Arizona.  I was pretty sure I heard it, very faintly.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline BBM_victim

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:29 am »
I have to say, I've never heard the "I Love you" until I saw the film in Arizona.  I was pretty sure I heard it, very faintly.

Dear CellarDweller,

and how do you feel about it? ;) Or how do you like it? What's your thoughts?

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2017, 07:50:55 pm »
I liked it when I didn't hear it.  I can't imagine Ennis telling  anyone he loved them.  He never even says it to his daughters, except to question Junior if Kurt loves her.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #289 on: June 15, 2017, 04:53:40 pm »
I liked it when I didn't hear it.  I can't imagine Ennis telling  anyone he loved them.  He never even says it to his daughters, except to question Junior if Kurt loves her.

That's why he barely says it at all -- and he's talking to a shirt!

And his question about Kurt suggests that he has belatedly come to realize that love is the most important thing.