Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201572 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2006, 04:59:11 pm »
I changed the title of the thread, so from now on, it's about anything that you think you can see or hear but can barely make out. Including, but certainly not limited to:

• "I love you"
  • "Sorry/s'alright"
  • the wedding ring
  • the hand holdin
  • "Oh Jack"
  • "Hey, c'mere" (tent scene version or stairwell version)
  • "F*** me"

And whatever else anyone thinks of ...

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • No man is an island
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2006, 05:07:49 pm »
How about the subliminal messages that Ang Lee put in to flash up every few seconds: "you will love & adore my film", "you will become utterly obsessed by this story", "you will fall uncontrollably in love with both Jack & Ennis", etc etc  :D
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2006, 05:11:10 pm »
How about the subliminal messages that Ang Lee put in to flash up every few seconds: "you will love & adore my film", "you will become utterly obsessed by this story", "you will fall uncontrollably in love with both Jack & Ennis", etc etc  :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and, "even after many, many viewings you will keep feeling compelled to return"

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2006, 05:32:27 pm »
What was the wedding ring in the motel scene I should watch for?

Also, when you list "hand holdin' ", are you referring to TS1, or what I affectionately refer to as "the reach around"?

I previously asked for input on my interpretation of this "reach around" on another website board, but nobody could conclusively answer it.

I wanted to know, politely, if not naively, if Ennis was **ahem** "holding" Jack's _ _ _ _ _ or if he was trying to get his balance or if he and Jack were just trying to hold each other somehow....

Does anyone here know?

Just curious and not trying to offend.....

Thanks!
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

gattaca

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2006, 05:34:39 pm »
Hi Daphne and welcome -

Well, if Ennis was doing the reach around with Jack, it certainly would have been off-camera!

(Your interpretation is correct, BTW).

;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2006, 07:28:03 pm »
I changed the title of the thread, so from now on, it's about anything that you think you can see or hear but can barely make out. Including, but certainly not limited to:

• "I love you"
  • "Sorry/s'alright"
  • the wedding ring
  • the hand holdin
  • "Oh Jack"
  • "Hey, c'mere" (tent scene version or stairwell version)
  • "F*** me"

LOL.  :laugh: :)

I thought of another situation to add to the list...  does anyone have further thoughts about what Ennis may or may not whisper to Jack following the reunion kiss?

Here are the possibilities I've heard people debate-
"little darlin" (we wish...)
"later"
"c'mere" (I think there's a possibility of a "c'mere" both before and after the reunion kiss).

I'm firmly in the camp of people who can hear Ennis say "c'mere" prior to the kiss.  I have no real opinion as to what he says in the whisper following the nuzzle.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

vkm91941

Re: Saw/heard the "I love you"!!!! (I think.)
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2006, 07:38:42 pm »
When I watched the DVD again last night, as the moment with the shirts approached, I had my nose against the screen like a three-year-old and the volume cranked. I have to report that all I could hear was breathing.

On the other hand, after nearly twenty years of hanging out in gay bars where the music is entirely too loud, the hearing ain't what it used to be.  ;D

I would say, though, that Ennis saying "I love you" out loud as he embraces the shirts strikes me as out of character. This, after all, is the guy who doesn't or can't complete the "Jack, I swear" thought out loud even in the privacy of his own trailer.

E*X*A*C*T*L*Y...ditto what Jeff said.  Much as I personally would love to hear an I love you...I believe it's just wishful thinking on the part of those who hear it.  It is just not in this mans character to utter those three little words aloud in connect to Jack.  What we see in the 'Jack I Swear' scene is Ennis's realization for the FIRST time that he loved and was loved by Jack.

And sorry to disappoint everyone but we have heard from bilingual folks from all over the world about how screwed up the sub titles and the screen captions for the hearing impaired are.  I watched the whole thing with the ENGLISH  screen captions on and they a DEAD WRONG in more than one place.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 07:59:45 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2006, 07:55:29 pm »
I'm firmly in the camp of people who can hear Ennis say "c'mere" prior to the kiss.  I have no real opinion as to what he says in the whisper following the nuzzle.

He definitely says "hey, c'mere" after the nuzzle. Someone once posted a link to an audio-only version of this moment, in which it's even more audible. I think I have heard the pre-kiss "c'mere" as well.

IMO, "hey, c'mere" is what the filmmakers deliberately substituted for "little darlin," fearing that would just be too un-Movie-Ennis-like. Ennis also says "hey, c'mere" to Alma at least a couple of times. That's not quite as sweet as a phrase he says to his daughters and horses, but it draws some sort of connection, I guess.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2006, 09:54:23 pm »
What was the wedding ring in the motel scene I should watch for?

If you watch very carefully at the bottom of the frame in the motel scene, you can catch a glimpse of Ennis's wedding ring.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2006, 11:02:26 pm »

Why did they leave those messages off the Academy screeners, huh? ;)

I am deaf (and for some odd reason I can not type an apostraphe tonight --  computer keeps kicking me into "find" -- so I am going to sound really pompous), so all I have heard is the Cmere before the stairwell kiss.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.