Author Topic: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments  (Read 201575 times)

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: The mysterious "I love you" and other nearly indiscernible moments
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2006, 12:32:49 pm »
Thanks Latjoreme and thank you for that insight on Cassie's use of falling in love....  I had never connected it.  I guess I'm crying too hard watching Ennis all alone with that little piece of pie... 

Breaks my heart but good!!!!!!

:'(
...Nice to know ya, Ennis del Mar...

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2006, 03:24:05 pm »
OK, another session of skipping around the DVD in my now habitual cranked-volume, glued-to-screen, constantly rewinding posture. Here are my impressions:

"F me" -- I see where you're talking about, and he could be saying that, or any number of other things, or just breathing.

"Sorry/s'alright"
-- I really like Daphne's interpretation of Jack saying "sorry." It seems to fit what's happening onscreen perfectly.

Holding hands -- Undoubtedly. Hands, not any other parts. For the record, I think it's Ennis who grabs Jack's hand.

"C'mere" -- Yes, said by Jack in TS2, and by Ennis at the reunion before and after the kiss.

Wedding ring -- barely a glimpse, but only because I've got a letterbox DVD.

"Oh, Jack
" -- I saw the part where he tenderly touches the pocket, Daphne, but couldn't make out actual words.

"I love you" -- Absolutely. I become more sure of it with every viewing.

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2006, 03:41:52 pm »
As to the "Oh Jack" - that one is definitely a tough one.  Sometimes I can hear it as plain as day, and other times, it's a tentative maybe.  But I do believe he says it.  I'm almost positive.  It's just barely audible and definitely not on the subtitles.

As to the "hand holding" - if you look closely at Ennis' right hand at almost the very end of TS1, you will see that his hand is "holding" onto something - how do I put this .... - cylindrical (for lack of a better word which I can't seem to come up with right now).  What I mean to say is that he does not appear to be holding Jack's hand.  In fact, Jack's right hand is holding Ennis' right forearm, so, technically, they couldn't be holding hands, right?

My DVD remote control has a "zoom" button on it, and if I zoom in just right, I think I can see clearly that they are not holding hands.  My problem is that this scene, at least on my DVD, is very dark.

Anyway, (and as Jack says.... "Fer what it's worth"), I'm glad you heard the "I Love You".

;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2006, 03:46:06 pm »
I have no problem with Ennis actually breathing/saying it into the shirts (in fact I quite like the idea, and not because I need for him to in an idiot American sort of way but because I just think it's lovely), since my interpretation of "I swear" is, well, self-evident.
No more beans!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2006, 04:02:07 pm »
Holding hands -- Undoubtedly. Hands, not any other parts. For the record, I think it's Ennis who grabs Jack's hand.

I thought Jack pulls Ennis hand. The way I remember it, he pulls it hard as if wanting more.

I don't know about the "I love you". I don't think he says it or even whispers it but then again I could've missed it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2006, 04:05:18 pm »
his hand is "holding" onto something - how do I put this .... - cylindrical

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How about ... phallic shaped?

So you're saying Ennis holds onto this cylinder, as Jack holds Ennis' arm? I have seen the hand/arm thing, but never the cylinder. Well, I just finally returned my DVD to Blockbuster, but next time I rent it (or maybe even buy it) I will check that more closely. Maybe on a new TV with a zoom feature.

And I'd better get a set of headphones, too, in search of the "Oh Jack." I would love to hear that.

not because I need for him to in an idiot American sort of way

Barb, if by idiot American way you mean the idea that he "should" say it. in order to make some kind of unequivocal official declaration, I don't need that, either. Not at all.

I love it because it is just about the sweetest, saddest thing in the world.

Offline Daphne7661

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2006, 04:10:19 pm »
Yes, I didn't know if I could really say "phallic" on line here....  But that's exactly what I wanted to say....

;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2006, 04:36:52 pm »
Barb, if by idiot American way you mean the idea that he "should" say it in order to make some kind of unequivocal official declaration, I don't need that, either. Not at all.

That's exactly what I mean.  You know, that particular breed of American that prefers "Crash" over this movie because they "just liked the message better" (i.e., prefer to be beaten about the head and body with "the message" and have their little hands held (down) whilst being spoon-fed an unbelievably trite and contrived story).  Those Americans.  Idiots.

(The important thing is that I'm not bitter, right?)

I love it because it is just about the sweetest, saddest thing in the world.

Couldn't agree with you more there.   :'(
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »
Yes, I didn't know if I could really say "phallic" on line here....  But that's exactly what I wanted to say....

You can post pretty much anything you want, as long as it's not disrespectful to anybody else here or a photo with frontal nudity. Not only can you say phallic, but you can say that other word that starts with the same sound.  I've been asterisking it on this thread, but it's OK to spell it out if you prefer. Anyone who loves BBM as much as we do most likely isn't easily offended by that word, high-altitude or otherwise.

Offline wolf

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Saw/heard the "I love you"!!!! (I think.)
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2006, 09:19:46 pm »
Weird. At the very moment I read the line above, I heard someone on the TV blaring in the next room, which my husband has fallen asleep in front of, say "I love you." I hope that's a good omen.

I hereby offer a huge reward to anyone else (in addition to Daphne and Barb) who backs me up on this. To be paid in a generous sum of smiley icons. Wolf, please crank your volume up as high as it goes and sit right in front of the screen and be prepared to notice the slightest little facial movement or sound. I can't emphasize enough its subtlety.

yer preaching to the converted m'dear!  I've long heard the magic words in the shirt scene, but was curious to see if it was more apparent here on the puter.  as it turned out, I didn't get there -  life intervened  >:(.

I'm slapping the disc on again now so I can look for "ILY" and Jack's cylinder :P 8) :P.  Half hoping I won't find the latter because I have too much to do today to be rendered hot and bothered and useless!

w