Author Topic: BBM and Lonesome Dove  (Read 60751 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: BBM and Lonesome Dove
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2009, 11:14:38 am »
I only caught the last segment last nite. It was good, but seemed awfully compressed. The book spoiled me. Captain Call's expressions reminded me so much of Heath's in Brokeback Mountain. His eyes seemed to be looking out between the bars of a prison. It made me miss him a lot.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:59 am »
I'm glad you enjoyed watching at least the last segment Lee.  My reaction to the mini-series was much the same as yours.  I feel like a lot was missing in the mini-series since the internal/introspective thoughts and viewpoints of the various characters were not included in the same way as in the book.  And, yes, even though the mini-series is long, it does seem to go by quickly or to feel compressed. 

I didn't watch it on TV this time around since I bought the DVDs a while back and watched it then, I didn't feel a huge sense of urgency to watch it again.  I will definitely watch it again some day.  But, again, I didn't feel the need to see it again quite so soon.

I'll keep you all posted about when I start reading Comanche Moon.  I still have to finish my current book first.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:30 pm »
I came across an article somewhere the other day about the all time best westerns (move or book) as rated by real cowboys, cowgirls, and western folk.  #1 was Lonesome Dove.  I guess I'll have to rent this...

retropian

« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2009, 04:48:33 am »
I came across an article somewhere the other day about the all time best westerns (move or book) as rated by real cowboys, cowgirls, and western folk.  #1 was Lonesome Dove.  I guess I'll have to rent this...

Oh, definitely you should. It is very good. Gus and Woodrow are life partners, albeit heterosexual ones, but they are deeply committed to each other. I remember Larry M. commenting that when he read BBM he asked himself why he didn't think of a story about gay cowboys, it just had never occurred to him. He came so close with Gus and Woodrow, but never thought taking it to the next level. Also, if you haven't seen it you should also rent "The Last Picture Show", which Larry also wrote. It's a very poignant tale of the residents of a dying Texas town. I think that, and Lonsome Dove being written my him also enrich BBM in a way. It's like reading the entire short story collection "Open Range" by Annie P. puts BBM in a greater context than enriches it further, so does viewing "Lonsome Dove" and The Last Picture Show". They add something to BBM by putting the movie and the story in a greater context. Somehow to me, they mysteriously expand BBM.
Ian

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2009, 11:15:25 am »

Yeah, I highly recommend it... for its own sake and for the insights it provides into certain aspects of BBM.

I really suggest reading it as well as watching the mini-series.  I enjoyed the book a lot more... while I also like the mini-series well enough.

I still haven't gotten around to Comanche Moon yet.... but it's definitely still on my to-read pile.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2009, 11:42:32 am »

I agree with Amanda, Eric. Read the book, ALL of them.  ;D No seriously, they are fantastic. Very well written, very engaging, with very dry humour, which I really really liked. I've read all four of them and now my husband has started Dead Man's Walk. He's hooked too. Call and Gus are quite a pair and I thought some of the women were especially fully written characters (Clara and Lorena). They have all been on my mind a lot.

I'm considering buying other books by McMurtry, but I'm not sure where to start.

Amanda have you read any of his other books?
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2009, 11:46:37 am »
It's like reading the entire short story collection "Open Range" by Annie P. puts BBM in a greater context than enriches it further, so does viewing "Lonsome Dove" and The Last Picture Show". They add something to BBM by putting the movie and the story in a greater context. Somehow to me, they mysteriously expand BBM.
Ian

I have found that to be true in other arts as well. I first sang in a production of LA BOHEME fairly early in my operatic career. At the time it was the only Puccini I knew. Over the years, I have sung some of Puccini's other operas, and seen/heard others. Becoming more familiar with the composer's style and vocabulary via the other operas certainly clarified LA BOHEME for me musically, and also adds to the drama.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2009, 12:42:46 pm »
I agree with Amanda, Eric. Read the book, ALL of them.  ;D No seriously, they are fantastic. Very well written, very engaging, with very dry humour, which I really really liked. I've read all four of them and now my husband has started Dead Man's Walk. He's hooked too. Call and Gus are quite a pair and I thought some of the women were especially fully written characters (Clara and Lorena). They have all been on my mind a lot.

I'm considering buying other books by McMurtry, but I'm not sure where to start.

Amanda have you read any of his other books?

Hey Bud!

I'm glad you enjoyed the whole series! 8)
I've only read Lonesome Dove and Dead Man's Walk so far.  I definitely intend to read the others.  I commented on Dead Man's Walk earlier in this thread.  I liked it, but not as well as Lonesome Dove.  Dead Man's Walk was so bleak and traumatic so constantly, there were times when I thought it was kind of hard to take.  But, I definitely liked it altogether.  Gus and Call really are amazing characters and I'm excited to learn more about them in the other books.  And, I also agree that McMurtry does a good job making his female characters fully formed and complex individuals.  He's certainly a talented storyteller.

Eric, I'd say... definitely don't let the length of the books be a deterant.  I put off reading LD for a long time, simply because of the huge page-count.  But, I've found that McMurtry is such a compelling storyteller that these books are really fast page-turners.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #118 on: November 15, 2009, 07:06:34 pm »
Well, I've taken the plunge!!  I started Comanche Moon last night! :) 

I'm only one chapter deep into it so far.  And, my initial impression... I don't think this constitutes a spoiler...  is, LOL, wow it really just jumps right in to the middle of a narrative.  It almost feels like it's starts in the middle of an ongoing novel, with very little if any intro aspect.  In a way, I think that's very cool.   

I'll post my impressions here as I go along.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #119 on: November 15, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
Well, I've taken the plunge!!  I started Comanche Moon last night! :) 

I'm only one chapter deep into it so far.  And, my initial impression... I don't think this constitutes a spoiler...  is, LOL, wow it really just jumps right in to the middle of a narrative.  It almost feels like it's starts in the middle of an ongoing novel, with very little if any intro aspect.  In a way, I think that's very cool.   

I'll post my impressions here as I go along.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Amanda.  It's been a few years since I've read Comanche Moon, and while I'm sure I've forgotten many details, I do remember that it's eventful and adventuresome!  :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain