Author Topic: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown  (Read 136610 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Gay Marriage Sinks Miss California's shot at Crown
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2009, 02:47:07 am »
Gawd. I have my own tipi in the garage collecting dust as we speak. Yes, let's work on it Lynne!

Hopkinsville is always a good place for a pow-wow! Let's see if we can manage to pull it off this year.

Let's do.  I'll drive down, see if I can pick up every Brokie I know between here and there, which would amount to 10 or more!   ;)

I know we've discussed it before, but with our respective parental responsibilities, it's never materialized.  Do you know dates yet?  Or what website we can monitor to get the schedule when it's released?
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2009, 02:51:39 am »
I'd love to if I had the money, Lynn.  But, alas, I'm a poor boy.

I appreciate the invitation, though.  I really do.   :)

Well, things and circumstances change.  I feel like I spent most of last year un- or under-employed.  The cool thing about you is that you're in Cali and it's completely doable to find Brokie things to do in your area, or more likely, the Bay Area.

Have you seen the event that John (BayCityJohn) is putting together?  I'll have to look for the link - it's in Social Events.  If you can, you should go.  It's not that far, and I can guarantee you that you'll find the company absolutely fine.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 03:01:33 am »
Let's do.  I'll drive down, see if I can pick up every Brokie I know between here and there, which would amount to 10 or more!   ;)

I know we've discussed it before, but with our respective parental responsibilities, it's never materialized.  Do you know dates yet?  Or what website we can monitor to get the schedule when it's released?

Damn! Not yet. Here's what I've found so far....

http://www.trailoftears.org/

I will keep you posted. Most likely it will be Labor Day weekend again, but I can't swear to it. :-\

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2009, 03:41:14 am »
She was an innocent victim of a sinister attempt to make a poliitical statement at a beauty pageant. Dont anyone tell me,that Perez Hilton had not researched her religious beliefs, and would have assumed the answer to the question, before he asked it.

Would he have asked a black girl about civil rights or racial discrimination?....whatever her answer, she would have upset some members of the community, somehow,somewhere, and the press would have had a field day with that.

All of us have opinions on a lot of things, but we can voice that opinion as we wish, where we wish, and if we wish... that girl did not have that same opportunity. 

I get what you're saying Sue - but he couldn't have - she picked his name out of a bowl, and his question was pre-prepared. So he would have asked that question to anyone who picked his name. In that sense, she was unlucky.

I do think that after all those years of training though, she could have answered that question A LOT better! Diplomacy is key in the pagentry business.

She has the right to opinion of course, but c'mon the pagentry business, just like the modeling business is full of gay guys - if she's gonna swim in the sea & have that opinion (which doesn't correlate to me but anyway thats beside the point) she should IMO have found a more diplomatic way to say it as shes probably been saying the same thing to people in the pagentary world for a few years or at least practiced the speech in her head!

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2009, 06:53:30 am »
Garry.......maybe you should speak out more to people in the Prop 8 debate. You have a wonderful clear way of expressing your views.

I found your post so interesting and your views explained so well, that I read it throug several times.

Whether I agree with everything you wrote, or not, at least it made me sit back and digest what you had to say, and becasue of the clarity of your opinions it made me consider my own thoughts on some of the issues.

Thank you for such an informative post.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2009, 08:27:19 am »
Great post Gary.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2009, 11:30:35 am »
[...]

It is one thing to suggest to gay people that they should put their best foot forward, while understanding that given the diversity of the group in question, those best foots aren’t all going to look the same, and, once again, given the diversity of the group in question, not everyone is going to play the game so well, but it is quite another thing to tell gay people they should become sycophants like many successful politicians and beauty queens.  You could call those who want to make such an effort the Sycophantic Sexual Minorities Party – SSMP.  I don’t much care for this approach, so I won’t be signing up.  I prefer people be themselves, even if they are unpopular.  It’s been my experience that politicians and beauty queens may sometimes win their crowns, but a lot of people don’t seem to like many politicians and beauty queens.  And I think that’s because they’re sycophants, i.e. phonies, and in time most can see them for the suck ups that they are.

What a great post Gary! It should be featured on the front page as post of the week/month or something.   I love how you equate gays trying to get acceptance from (straight) society with beauty pageant contestants.  As an out gay person I've often felt the burden of representing the "Gay Community".  It leads to self-censorship, in both actions and words, which is basically just a different kind of closet. 

As for Perez Hilton, I always thought he was an annoying twit, even back when he was a cute twink ;-).  Because of his (inexplicable) celebrity status, a small part of me wishes he presented a more "acceptable" (ie: more manly?) image of gay people "to help the cause", but I realize that this comes from internalized homophobia.  The same homophobia that made me cringe everytime the queenie one opened his mouth on Queer Eye. :-\  Few of us raised in a patriarchal Christian society are immune to that unfortunately.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »

As for Perez Hilton, I always thought he was an annoying twit, even back when he was a cute twink ;-).  Because of his (inexplicable) celebrity status, a small part of me wishes he presented a more "acceptable" (ie: more manly?) image of gay people "to help the cause", but I realize that this comes from internalized homophobia.  The same homophobia that made me cringe everytime the queenie one opened his mouth on Queer Eye. :-\  Few of us raised in a patriarchal Christian society are immune to that unfortunately.

wait, this is shocking - Mario was cute once?  Do you have proof?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2009, 05:05:22 pm »

Are you sure that you're cringing because these guys are homosexuals?? Or are you cringing because they flamboyantly effeminate?? If its the former, then you might be right about internalized homophobia. If its the latter, then its simply a distaste for effeminacy.

Personally, when I see a homosexual character on TV or in the movies who is not effeminate, I actually feel uplifted. Its the effeminate characters that make me cringe.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2009, 05:35:31 pm »
To tell you the truth, I had never even heard of Perez Hilton before this thing with Miss. California popped up.  Maybe I'm living in my own little world.   :laugh: 

You're not missing much.

He's kinda similar to the person with the name he took as his own (Paris Hilton), famous for nothing.  He deals in gossip, and because of his catty comments that some people found funny, he became a celeb as well.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!