Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90072 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #220 on: August 02, 2009, 12:44:18 am »
Good point, Bailey.  If they're having such a glorious time over at the Retereat, why come over here?  I'm not trying to chase people away, I'm just trying to understand.

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #221 on: August 02, 2009, 01:07:58 am »
Hey crayons, :)  ... is your avatar a painting?  From the teeny weeny picture I can see, it looks really good  :D... did you paint it?

Thank you, Susie!  :)  My avatar is a picture of mountains -- drawn in crayons! I didn't draw it, though. I found it on the web.

but that isn't really the issue, the issue is the effects on the discussion forum when posts are deleted or modified because someone, somewhere found the post irksome or offensive or annoying. what this type of "censorship" does is to trivialize the discussions, and create an impression of unfairness and one-sidedness.

Eye of the beholder, brokeplex. Lots of people thought that it was the irksome, offensive and annoying posts themselves that trivialized the discussions and created an atmosphere of hostility and unpleasantness.

and censoring or modifying posts on a personal blog is a different kettle of fish than doing the same thing on the public forum. it did not pass notice that some of the members on Bettemost made an attempt to hijack some of the private blogs. in fact that happened on Wally and Beve's Room, and HK stopped that quickly. I might not have deleted as extensively as he did, but I agreed with his actions.

The incidents that I referred to in which my posts were deleted from a blog (not W&B's Room) were not attempts to hijack the blog, but simply a post or two I made attempting to set the record straight when my own posts, on other threads, were misquoted and misrepresented. Apparently accuracy was not a primary concern when it's more fun to ridicule and mock. But that's all water under the bridge. It barely mattered then, and not at all now.

Like I said, everybody's happy now, and it's all good.

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #222 on: August 02, 2009, 03:02:48 am »
why come over here? 

Because some of the people here are actually reasonable adults with something valuable to offer. Some of the others are a pain in my ass.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:20:23 pm by milomorris »
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #223 on: August 02, 2009, 05:57:55 am »
I've modified Milo's early morning post. Thanks to those who complied with my request not to react to the taunts.

Sheriff Roland
moderator, Anything Goes
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 05:03:47 pm by Sheriff Roland »
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #224 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:05 am »
I responded to Milo's post above and then I read on to get to Roland's mod post.

I am altering my post accordingly -for now.

However, if the post is left as is, it's only fair that people are allowed to respond, IMO.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2009, 10:12:00 am »

I like it  :D

I like it too. I'd love to see the drawing full-size.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #226 on: August 02, 2009, 10:29:33 am »
Thank you, Susie and Kerry!  :-* :-* Here it is. Reminded me a little of BBM.

I used to draw in crayons, myself. I mean, seriously (LOL), when I was in my early 20s. I remember doing a picture in blues of a nude couple standing in water, and then another one of Adam from the Sistine chapel ceiling that I handed in to my college drawing class when we were assigned to make our own version of a famous Renaissance painting. I figured, mine won't be the best picture (most of the other students were real artists, whereas I was sort of a moderately talented amateur), but damn it, mine will be the only one done in crayons.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 02, 2009, 10:40:59 am »
Thank you, Susie and Kerry!  :-* :-* Here it is. Reminded me a little of BBM.

I used to draw in crayons, myself. I mean, seriously (LOL), when I was in my early 20s. I remember doing a picture in blues of a nude couple standing in water, and then another one of Adam from the Sistine chapel ceiling that I handed in to my college drawing class when we were assigned to make our own version of a famous Renaissance painting. I figured, mine won't be the best picture (most of the other students were real artists, whereas I was sort of a moderately talented amateur), but damn it, mine will be the only one done in crayons.

It's beautiful, Katherine. I love the use of colour. And yes, it is very reminiscent of ole Brokeback.  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Online serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #228 on: August 02, 2009, 12:37:40 pm »

I love it .... and if you look at it differently, it could also be a view of a very choppy the sea looking down through one of the coves in Cornwall  :) ... I'll have to get my talented daughter to try her hand at crayons ...I'm sure she'd do wonders with them  :D

Definitely. They're great -- cheap, easily accessible, easy to control, lots of lovely colors.

Do you still draw Katherine?

No. I used to draw constantly as a kid, mostly pencil. In my teens, I did oil and acrylics, in my 20s, watercolor. But that was all BK (before kids). I haven't done anything like that in years on years, but now that they're getting old enough to amuse themselves (most of the time, anyway) I should get back to it!

Offline bailey1205

« Reply #229 on: August 02, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »
You should get back to it Katherine.

:)