Author Topic: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts  (Read 90066 times)

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
Re: Gay Couple Detained After Kissing on Mormon Church-Owned Property
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:32 pm »
If these same people were sitting across from you at your kitchen table, and you had a discussion with them over a cup of coffee, you might get a different impression of where they stand and what they think.

Absolutely. Being able to communicate vocally and with movement/body language certainly does make things more clear.

I got an interesting comment from a Brokie I met in the flesh. I have known him via one of the BBM groups on Yahoo since I first saw the movie. I was in his hometown for a business trip last year, and he and I met for lunch one day. We talked about all kinds of stuff, and at the end of the conversation, he said "you're nothing like what I expected." I said, "well...you can't hear me online." He smiled and nodded.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2009, 06:05:00 pm »
Opposition and contradiction were never the problem. Retribution is the problem.

Milo, this thread is funny as hell.

Gee what a shame all the leftists have me on "ignore", for the first time in quite a while, I would love to chat away with them.

Oh, by the way, Jess's Retreat certainly isn't just a haven for conservatives, as one of the above posters opines. I mean Milo you are there, and you have always seemed to me to be a reasonable, rational liberal of the old style, the type of liberal I can respect. not one of the current crop of leftists that dominates the Democrat party. that said, yes, we have no leftists on the Retreat site.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 06:17:47 pm »
1. What about people who post the author's article, along with the readers' comments from said blog? Aren't those comments the same type of conversational posts that we get here?

2. I'm not sure why the lack of polish should matter. People have to learn that this is the Internet, and your posts--no matter how--off-the-top-of-the-head are being made public. If one is not communicating clearly, and that is causing misunderstandings or disagreements, take the time to clarify. I think most of us here do that already.

I personally will not copy anything posted on Bettermost and post it anywhere else. Where is the motivation in doing so? If someone wishes to speak with me, they can PM me from Bettermost and I will respond.

That said, however, I am not sure why anyone is getting their shorts in a wad because someone posted their comments on another web site. What are they hiding from, and why do they care?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 07:03:46 pm »
why do they care?

I couldn't agree more, personally. I don't give a damn what anyone might copy of mine and discuss on the other site. If anything, it's flattering that people who have left or semi-quit BetterMost are still all abuzz over stuff that gets posted here. Have at it!  :)

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:59 pm »
I honestly am not understanding what the difference is between cross-posting from here and "sneering," and pasting something from any other blog and discussing/analyzing/criticizing it without the author's knowledge or feedback. Why is one acceptable, and the other not??

I think the difference is that we know each other, which isn't the same with other blog/article writers and entries, so people are bound to take it personally.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Offisite Discussion of Bettermost Posts
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
I couldn't agree more, personally. I don't give a damn what anyone might copy of mine and discuss on the other site. If anything, it's flattering that people who have left or semi-quit BetterMost are still all abuzz over stuff that gets posted here. Have at it!  :)

Exactly. It strikes me as peculiar, not to mention ironic, that someone would start a forum as a "retreat" from another forum, but then have the need to use quotes from the forum from which you supposedly "retreated" as fodder!   :laugh:  Seems odd, and kind of sad, that the members wouldn't have enough to say to each other to keep a conversation going without relying on Bettermost.  I guess it's hard to move on.
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
Re: Offisite Discussion of Bettermost Posts
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »
Seems odd, and kind of sad, that the members wouldn't have enough to say to each other to keep a conversation going without relying on Bettermost.  I guess it's hard to move on.

There's plenty of fodder at places like Bilerico, and AfterElton to keep us going for years. At this point in time, Jess is focused on the noise being made here. After all, y'all did just kick her ass to the curb a few weeks ago. As time progresses, we will find other content to "sneer" at. Rest assured.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 08:13:36 pm »
I think the difference is that we know each other

I understand what you mean, but I doubt that we really do know each other. This is the Internet after all.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Off-site discussion of BetterMost posts
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 08:18:45 pm »
I want royalties, dammit.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 08:20:41 pm »
I understand what you mean, but I doubt that we really do know each other. This is the Internet after all.

You're right.  'Know' as in as much as we can 'know' without BM turning into a dating site.  ;D