Author Topic: TOTW 05/09: Things that made you go "hunh?"  (Read 35200 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
TOTW 05/09: Things that made you go "hunh?"
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:53:45 am »

This is a discussion about little things in the film that didn't sit quite right with folks.  In a loving way, what aspects of the film would you have done differently?  This can be about both bloopers (regarding props, editing, etc.) and narrative elements (realism, timeline, etc.).

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
Re: TOTW 05/09: Things that made you go "hunh?"
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:42:50 am »
The thing that always made me go hunh was when Jack took a shot at that coyote without taking the time to aim.  As a result he missed his target.  It never sat right with me.  There was no big hurry.  He could have took his time

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37:21 am »
I would have rerecorded the line where Ennis drops off the "guhls" at the store. That has always bugged me, and it doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to fix. I was just thinking about this the other day!  :laugh:

(Good TOTW, Laura!)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:13:07 am »
I'd say that numerous mysterious aspects of the timeline provide the biggest "hunh" moments for me.

For example, the amount of time that Ennis dates Cassie and that Jack presumably sees Randall works out to be about 4 or 5 years if you look at various clues in the movie (such as the banner in the Childress dinner-dance scene). Therefore, these sideline relationships are fairly significant... if only for their duration.  The fact that Ennis seems to only be mentioning Cassie for the first time during the final camping trip, when Jack asks him if he'd ever get married again... always seems a bit odd to me.

Yep, sure enough... great TOTW!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:22:53 am »
The fact that Ennis seems to only be mentioning Cassie for the first time during the final camping trip, when Jack asks him if he'd ever get married again... always seems a bit odd to me.

Yes, especially since he says it so casually. Not like he's finally revealing a deeply held secret on a highly sensitive subject, more like a "Well, now that you mention it ..." kind of thing.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:57 am »
Well, a big part of Ennis's character is that he compartmentalizes his life hugely.  His time with Jack is so cut off from the reality of his "other" life...  so although the delay in mentioning Cassie is indeed strange, I wouldn't say it's completely out of character, you know?  Especially since he seems to have next-to-zero emotional investment in that relationship.

But I very much agree that the timeline aspect is strange as far as how long they would have been dating.  4 - 5 effin' years is a long time for a relationship that was so one-sided.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:37:14 am »
One technical problem that I'm surprised they let slip through: bad audio in spots.  In the scene where Ennis is trying to fix the tent and Jack says "It aint goin nowhere — let it be" Jack's line sounds distorted, as if the mic wasn't placed correctly.  The same is true with a few of his lines in the lake fight scene.  I imagine (would hope) they fixed that for the recent blu-ray release.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 12:01:27 pm »
The audio is questionable throughout. I missed half the lines the first time I saw it. Only on the third time, when I went to a theater with a better sound system, did I hear everything clearly. Of course, that's partly the first theater's fault, but I never had that problem with other movies I saw there.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:35:38 pm »
The whole movie made me go "hunh?"!  I had to see it 56 times in the theatres  :D and post numerous questions on the internet, to finally get it.  And I think there's still more to be learned too...  The movie morphs with you over time as you change in your ways over time.

I'll try and think of some specific spots in the movie that made me go "hunh?".  Off the top of my head, they're not coming to me, perhaps because the specific spots that did that to me were discussed in detail and my questions and concerns were answered long ago...

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »
Ok here's one, it was when Aguirre talked about "stemmin' the rose". 

#1 I had no idea what that meant...(but I had an idea)

#2 Why would Aguirre know what that was?