Author Topic: Christian Domestic Discipline  (Read 231814 times)

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Christian Domestic Discipline
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2011, 02:27:12 pm »
Parenthood is now the equivalent of servitude? I guess if we're all gonna be "free" the species will have to die out.

Although I realize that Front-Ranger can bloody well look after herself, I'm going to barge in and suggest that it seems you've missed her point. She wasn't talking about parenthood in general. As her quote plainly says, she's referring to a hypothetical woman who has half a dozen kids before she's 30. And yes, providing unpaid caregiving for that many kids rather than being able to support oneself through paid employment can resemble servitude, for reasons I (or she) can outline further if they don't seem obvious.

The birthrate required to keep the population stable, I was just reading yesterday, is 2.1 kids per woman. So it's quite possible for a woman to have fewer than six children without the species dying out.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2011, 02:47:57 pm »
Thanks, serious, and let me also add some more info from my daughter's experience. Her husband doesn't allow disposable diapers so she does laundry every day, including many cloth diapers. Child care is the bailiwik of the wife, so she goes everywhere carrying a child and a heavy diaper bag, even when she and her husband are going to a ball game (and during the game, the child sits on the wife's lap, with the diaper bag at her feet). Maintaining the home is the bailiwik of the wife, so on weekends my daughter cooks and cleans while her husband plays video games on his computer. The husband doesn't allow conveniences, so my daughter doesn't even have a microwave oven!! And now he's talking about selling her car, because she, being a housewife, "doesn't need a car."

And she only has one child so far!! When asked how many children they expect to have, the husband answers (without allowing his wife to have a say) "As many as God will give us."   :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 03:12:48 pm »
did somebody mention me?

:o
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2011, 03:30:55 pm »
did somebody mention me?

:o

Yep.  ;D ;)

In a nice way, of course.  :D

Offline milomorris

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • No crybabies
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2011, 03:31:42 pm »
Thanks, serious, and let me also add some more info from my daughter's experience. Her husband doesn't allow disposable diapers so she does laundry every day, including many cloth diapers. Child care is the bailiwik of the wife, so she goes everywhere carrying a child and a heavy diaper bag, even when she and her husband are going to a ball game (and during the game, the child sits on the wife's lap, with the diaper bag at her feet). Maintaining the home is the bailiwik of the wife, so on weekends my daughter cooks and cleans while her husband plays video games on his computer. The husband doesn't allow conveniences, so my daughter doesn't even have a microwave oven!! And now he's talking about selling her car, because she, being a housewife, "doesn't need a car."

And she only has one child so far!! When asked how many children they expect to have, the husband answers (without allowing his wife to have a say) "As many as God will give us."   :-\

Its such an individualized thing. Couple A might be able to have lots of children, and still live the life they want to live. Couple B's lifestyle might only have room for 1 or 2 children.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »

Lee, I don't want to criticize your daughter or her choices, but this makes me sad. When I met your daughter, she impressed me as a bright, independent-minded young woman. I hope things work out for her.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2011, 03:56:26 pm »

And she only has one child so far!! When asked how many children they expect to have, the husband answers (without allowing his wife to have a say) "As many as God will give us."   :-\
:-\

Jeeeze...I hope things will improve. "As many as God will give us" my ass.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2011, 04:09:19 pm »
Her husband doesn't allow disposable diapers so she does laundry every day, including many cloth diapers.

But aren't reusable diapers better for the environment?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2011, 04:33:34 pm »
But aren't reusable diapers better for the environment?  ???

Actually, that's debatable. Reusable diapers require a lot of water and, unless you're Alma, electricity and/or gas. However, I think I've read that they are slightly better for the environment, but not as much as you'd think. Most parents these days use disposable diapers (I did).

But beyond that, unfortunately people (including myself) do all kinds of things that aren't ideal for the environment for the sake of convenience. They drink bottled water, buy food in Styrofoam packages, drive cars when they could walk or bike or use public transportation, etc. So for many people, environmental friendliness is not the only, or even the top, priority.

I think it's admirable if parents decide to use reusable diapers to save space in landfills. But IMO the decision should be a joint one, at the very least reflecting the preference of the person(s) who do(es) the laundry.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »
But aren't reusable diapers better for the environment?  ???

Not really.  As was posted, they require a lot of water to wash, soap to get clean and bleach to get the bacteria out.