Author Topic: Women boxers need to look "elegant", they need to wear skirts!  (Read 20851 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Women boxers need to look "elegant", they need to wear skirts!
« on: October 29, 2011, 12:58:08 pm »
Just when you thought the days of "A League of her Own" were over...  ::)

Women will get a chance to box in the Olympics for the first time in 2012. If the Amateur International Boxing Association has anything to say about it, they will be wearing skirts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Boxing-federation-wants-female-boxers-to-wear-sk?urn=oly-wp850

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Women boxers need to look "elegant", they need to wear skirts!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 01:03:20 pm »
To make them "easier distinguishable from men"? Seriously? How about boobs? Respectively bras/tops women wear at boxing?

Oh my, there I was, thinking those days were over. ::)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 05:10:48 pm »

It is probably more about male fantasy.  If they box in short skirts, it will look more
disgusting by far than shorts.  It would be a lot of mens fantasy in the olympics.   
Disgusting in the year 2011, you would think we had gone past that stupidity!

Beautiful mind

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:21 am »
I love it!! Katie Taylor want's to be "just like the men."

I also appreciate that the article points out that other female athletes wear some sort of skirt.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 12:20:59 pm »
Jeeeze how sad. Here I thought there were more to women than to be objects to be enjoyed by men ::). >:(

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »
I don't understand how anyone can jump to the conclusion that this is about male lust. It could just be a matter of differentiating the women's side of the sport. It could simply be a matter of adding some femininity to the sport.

Besides, the Women's Commission of AIBA has 13 female commissioners, and only 2 male commissioners.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:33:42 pm »
I don't understand how anyone can jump to the conclusion that this is about male lust. It could just be a matter of differentiating the women's side of the sport. It could simply be a matter of adding some femininity to the sport.

Besides, the Women's Commission of AIBA has 13 female commissioners, and only 2 male commissioners.

What's feminine about boxing?

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:38:13 pm »
What's feminine about boxing?

Nothing. That's why I mentioned "adding some femininity to the sport." If women are going to get into it, it makes sense.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:31:26 pm »
Nothing. That's why I mentioned "adding some femininity to the sport." If women are going to get into it, it makes sense.

Women are already into boxing.  Have been for decades.  What in the world difference would adding skirts to their attire make?

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:19 am »
Women are already into boxing.  Have been for decades.  What in the world difference would adding skirts to their attire make?

The way I see it, it AIBA's way of stepping up the ladies' game, and the image of women's boxing. Now that they're going Olympic, the visibility women's boxing will get a huge boost. Seems like a good idea from a branding perspective to me.