Author Topic: As women get bigger, models get smaller  (Read 79782 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
As women get bigger, models get smaller
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:03:20 pm »
One, printed alongside a photo of the Russian beauty holding a tape measure across her rear, reads: 'Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2085226/PLUS-Model-Magazines-Katya-Zharkova-cover-highlights-body-image-fashion-industry.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/most-models-meet-criteria-for-anorexia-size-6-is-plus-size-magazine/

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: As women get bigger, models get smaller
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:15:54 pm »
That "plus size" model is hot!

She isn´t the slightest overweight, though. Often it feels as though the fashion world exists in its own little bubble, one that doesn´t deal much with reality.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 03:34:19 pm »
That "plus size" model is hot!

She isn´t the slightest overweight, though. Often it feels as though the fashion world exists in its own little bubble, one that doesn´t deal much with reality.

I thought so too.  Next to her, the 'real' model looked like a skinny child. 

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »
Fashion advertising seems to exist in a totally separate universe.

I mean, how many of us have seen advertising spreads for "affordable office clothes" and they show an outfit whose blouse costs as much as some retail and restaurant workers make in a week?  And where are these workplaces where the pay is so high that an outfit that costs $300 or more (not counting shoes) would really be considered a "budget shopping" item?

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
One, printed alongside a photo of the Russian beauty holding a tape measure across her rear, reads: 'Twenty years ago the average fashion model weighed 8% less than the average woman. Today, she weighs 23% less.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2085226/PLUS-Model-Magazines-Katya-Zharkova-cover-highlights-body-image-fashion-industry.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/most-models-meet-criteria-for-anorexia-size-6-is-plus-size-magazine/

Its interesting. back in the 70s & 80s, the industry was looking for models that looked like women. Sometime in the 90s, the industry started to look for models that looked like little girls. I think its kinda sick myself. They are contracting these girls at younger and younger ages. Calvin Klein was somewhat controversial in the 90s for promoting (if not creating) the "waif look." Many called it the "heroin addict" look.

While the pendulum has swung back very little in the world of fashion (if at all), we have seen the world of commercial advertising become far more diverse. Not only are there more ethnic models being hired for commercial work, but we are seeing older models, and bigger men and women being hired to help market everything from soap to cars.
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

Back in the 50s and 60s, even before that the women that were models wore a size 10.  A real size ten.  Now they wear a "0", what the hell is a size zero anyway?  It is a fictional figure, made up so that the models and others that try to be smaller can say that they wear that size.  It is a fantasy number made famous by fantasy minded people. 
  In my opinion the gay men in fashion are dressing and wanting women that look like small young men.  They are trying to put that slant onto the type people that they choose to be the models.  Now the women, starting with the famous one in charge of the top modeling agency in the world is in the same state of mind.  Nina Ford is notorious for choosing those types of looks as well.  I had a friend, whos sister in law won one of her modeling contests.  She refused the job however, they made it a condition for hiring her.  She had to have all of her back molars removed, in order to give her the gaunt "heroin" appearance.  That was in the 70s.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:35:59 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline milomorris

• No crybabies
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 09:13:40 pm »

Back in the 50s and 60s, even beefore that the women that were models wore a size 10.  A real size ten.  Now they wear a "0", what the hell is a size zero anyway?  It is a fictional figure, made up so that the models and others that try to be smaller can say that they wear that size.  It is a fantasy number made famous by fantasy minded people.  
  In my opinion the gay men in fashion are dressing and wanting women that look like small young men.  They are trying to put that slant onto the type people that they choose to be the models.  Now the women, starting with the famous one in charge of the top modeling agency in the world is in the same state of mind.  Nina Ford is notorious for choosing those types of looks as well.  I had a friend, whos sister in law won one of her modeling contests.  She refused the job however, they made it a condition for hiring her.  She had to have all of her back molars removed, in order to give her the gaunt "heroin" appearance.  That was in the 70s.

Amazing. And you are quite right.

The modeling business is just so bitchy, cut-throat, and down-right ridiculous. I'm glad I got out of it when I did. Can you imagine telling a black man to his face that he's not black enough for your ad campaign?? I mean, I can laugh about it now, but at the time I thought it was pretty insulting.

One problem is that fashion editors are moving too fast to take the time to do focus group tests. And the designers don't even bother. They have their heads so far up their asses it isn't even funny. If their latest look doesn't get picked up by a major store, its because the buyers for that store have no taste. If the store picks it up and the designs don't sell, its the public's fault because they're too stupid to know what beautiful is. They never bother to think that maybe their designs suck.

So these people just put out what they have defined think is "every woman's ultimate fantasy."

And since this is the Women's blog, I'm not even going to talk about what the fashion industry does (or tries to do) to men.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 10:42:34 pm by milomorris »
  The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 02:26:38 pm »
Fashion advertising seems to exist in a totally separate universe.

I mean, how many of us have seen advertising spreads for "affordable office clothes" and they show an outfit whose blouse costs as much as some retail and restaurant workers make in a week?  And where are these workplaces where the pay is so high that an outfit that costs $300 or more (not counting shoes) would really be considered a "budget shopping" item?

Agree.  I find that annoying in the extreme.  But then I figure that their magazine isn't geared toward regular people like me, so I stop buying their magazine.  Some magazines do better with "steal and deal" sections where they show the high priced items and then do a comparison with a much more reasonably priced item.

I was window shopping last night, peered into a window at a mannequin wearing the latest spring dress from a famous designer, and saw that the material was the same awful cheap crepe silk I can find in bargain bin store dresses and walked off.

I'm sorry, but $800 casual dresses made out of 'jersey' fabric?  That's t-shirt material, I don't know who buys such things, but they're idiots.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »
I'm sorry, but $800 casual dresses made out of 'jersey' fabric?  That's t-shirt material, I don't know who buys such things, but they're idiots.

More money than brains, I'd say.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »
More money than brains, I'd say.

Yes, you're right.  I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a jersey dress, but a handbag?  Yes!  ;D