Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9091797 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #11720 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:02 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Yes, it's a re-post of the snowy pic, as we are predicted to get 1 - 2 inches of the white stuff today.  Almost a week into Spring, and we're still getting snow.

If temps don't start to go up soon, I think people in the area are going to go crazy, especially with Easter this Sunday.

Tomorrow is the rally in DC, I will be there, camera in hand, and I hope to get good pics.  I took Wednesday off as well, so I can recover and relax.   :laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11721 on: March 26, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

Chuck and Joe at the Supreme Court today.  Go boys!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11722 on: March 28, 2013, 06:33:32 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Given that I was just off on Tuesday and Wednesday, I shouldn't be feeling this way.  LOL  But anyway....yeah, it's not Friday.

:laugh:

I must say, I'm jealous of the Euros who have off Friday and Monday for Easter.  We don't get that here, although we may be allowed to leave work early on Friday for Good Friday.  We'll see.

The rally in DC was a great experience, I'm glad I went, and if you hadn't seen them, there are pics posted, starting here.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,50424.0.html

From what I understand, it looks like the court has heard what they will hear, and now we will wait until June for an answer.

*fingers crossed*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11723 on: March 28, 2013, 05:50:15 pm »
*feels very Euro*   8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11724 on: March 29, 2013, 05:01:49 am »
*feels very Euro*   8)

Me too. 8)
And of course, eating fish today.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #11725 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:22 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Well, today's Good Friday.  I hope that everyone who celebrates has a "good" holiday.

No big plans today, family will do lunch on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Well, today was the weigh in at work for the biggest loser, and I lost.

Oh well!

It was close, the winner lost 2% more of his body weight than I did.

I'll still keep this up, as I like that my clothes are loose now.  ;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11726 on: March 30, 2013, 11:29:36 am »

Me too. 8)
And of course, eating fish today.

How come you eat fish on Good Friday?

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #11727 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
How come you eat fish on Good Friday?

When I was a kid, you were supposed to fast on Good Friday (also on Ash Wednesday), and eat fish on the Fridays during Lent. 
I guess the fasting rules have been loosened. 

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11728 on: March 30, 2013, 12:03:05 pm »
When I was a kid, you were supposed to fast on Good Friday (also on Ash Wednesday), and eat fish on the Fridays during Lent. 
I guess the fasting rules have been loosened. 

Here's an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2012/04/05/150061991/lust-lies-and-empire-the-fishy-tale-behind-eating-fish-on-friday
Thanks, that was quite interesting. I come in little contact with Catholic practises, so therefore my lack of knowledge.
Funny how religious practices often get mixed with "realpolitik" so to say

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11729 on: March 30, 2013, 12:23:45 pm »
As an Anglican (Episcopalian) I do not eat meat on Ash Wednesday or Good Friday. It use to be that fish was cheaper and money could be given to the poor but last Friday I had smoked salmon for dinner which was not cheaper. It just helps to remember how special these days are. I absolutely refuse to have hot cross buns before Good Friday. Even when still working and they were offered the day before I would not touch them. I buy half a dozen each year and have 2 for breakfast then 2 for morning tea (the final 2 on Saturday morning) . I then went to the the 3 hour service in the cathedral which lasted from 12 to 3 so sort of fasted from 11 to nearly 4 when I had a banana  ;) then the smoked salmon for dinner. In NZ all shops and businesses are closed except petrol stations, restaurants and small family corner stores called dairies. In Dunedin there is no public transport but a heritage bus group run a few vintage buses on 2 routes across the city.

I have now risen at 5am on Easter Day and will be in church at 6 for the Easter Vigil. That will be followed by breakfast in the church hall then Eucharist. It will be such a different Eucharist to Thursday night which was very solemn and at the end we stripped the church of all the ornaments then left without talking. Some stayed another hour praying in the darkened church. In my church in Sydney they had rosters to pray in the church throughout the night. To me Easter is far more important than Christmas.