Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160379 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4950 on: October 04, 2006, 06:34:13 am »
things do not look good for my hanging on here.  I just need to find out who to contact there about fixing the malfunctioning helpdesks in London!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4951 on: October 04, 2006, 06:39:14 am »
Yes, see here http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=4594.0

If you're up for it let Christie know as soon as you can.

I'm very excited as I only discovered BBM on DVD and so have never seen it on the big screen. Not sure about 30 of us blundering around Leicester Square with red puffy eyes weeping uncontrollably mind you.

Karen

Having just seen the movie on a big screen in Boston with 17 fellow Brokies, I can tell you, it is a very moving experience. I saw the movie 6 times in the theater and most of the times it was good--there was one viewing with blabbing teenagers and cellphones, but the other 5 were quality experiences. Still, something about being in a theater with a group of like minded people, really makes a difference. I would encourage you to get to the London screening, if at all possible.

And believe it or not, I didn't cry--well, just a few tears. However, there were a few in the theater who more than made up for my lack of tearful emotion. LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline katecaton

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4952 on: October 04, 2006, 07:00:25 am »
Having just seen the movie on a big screen in Boston with 17 fellow Brokies, I can tell you, it is a very moving experience. I saw the movie 6 times in the theater and most of the times it was good--there was one viewing with blabbing teenagers and cellphones, but the other 5 were quality experiences. Still, something about being in a theater with a group of like minded people, really makes a difference. I would encourage you to get to the London screening, if at all possible.

And believe it or not, I didn't cry--well, just a few tears. However, there were a few in the theater who more than made up for my lack of tearful emotion. LOL

L

I've just sent a message saying I want to go. Other half will just have to take care of the kids for me! It would be great as you say MaineWriter to see it with a group of real fans. I saw it 6 times too, and some of the audiences were downright ignorant!

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #4953 on: October 04, 2006, 07:02:12 am »
It has occurred to me that we have relatively little in the gallery to help us visualise the Red Stallion. For example do we have photos of the interior and exterior? To kick things off I thought I would offer the following as possible logos for external signage, stationery etc. What’s your choice?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:04:12 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4954 on: October 04, 2006, 07:16:36 am »
One thing to bear in mind is that the Red Stallion is a semi-private club, and does not advertise itself as anything more than a "Men's Billiard and Drinking Club."  Therefore its signage is subtle, and the only thing it does advertise is "Billiards."  Ellery bought it as an aging, run-down billiard room and had it refurbished with a bar and kitchen.  It doesnt take much to fill it up.  The "back room" has the single pool table, jukebox, and four-person tables, and the front area has the bar, entryway, and hall leading to the bathrooms.  Ellery's (miniscule) office is behind the bar, and there is a small kitchen next to that which is also entered from behind the bar.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4955 on: October 04, 2006, 08:11:36 am »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/127354.html  "Chapter 8:  Road Hazard"

Offline christie wood

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #4956 on: October 04, 2006, 08:16:29 am »
One thing to bear in mind is that the Red Stallion is a semi-private club, and does not advertise itself as anything more than a "Men's Billiard and Drinking Club."  Therefore its signage is subtle, and the only thing it does advertise is "Billiards."  Ellery bought it as an aging, run-down billiard room and had it refurbished with a bar and kitchen.  It doesnt take much to fill it up.  The "back room" has the single pool table, jukebox, and four-person tables, and the front area has the bar, entryway, and hall leading to the bathrooms.  Ellery's (miniscule) office is behind the bar, and there is a small kitchen next to that which is also entered from behind the bar.

I don't know why but reading this about The Red Stallion I felt all warm inside, knowing as we do the place and the people who frequent it.  It was the mention of Ellery's office that set me off.    ;D  Silly really, considering the place not even real. 

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4957 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:12 am »
SPOILERS

Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/127354.html  "Chapter 8:  Road Hazard"

Since Ellery has a big mouth, I guess he'll "casually" mention this Bonnie Ruskin ordeal to Wes some of these days. You know, acting like a jealous husband and all. LOL
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 08:45:56 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4958 on: October 04, 2006, 08:49:47 am »
I don't know why but reading this about The Red Stallion I felt all warm inside, knowing as we do the place and the people who frequent it.  It was the mention of Ellery's office that set me off.    ;D  Silly really, considering the place not even real. 

The place isn't real? Ellery's not real? Tell that to my brain, that dreams about him every night! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4959 on: October 04, 2006, 08:58:49 am »
The place isn't real? Ellery's not real? Tell that to my brain, that dreams about him every night! LOL

L

Dont you get me started on "those" dreams Leslie lol. I have em too, but I,m NOT printing em here lol. ;) ;) ;)