Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3160413 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #4910 on: October 03, 2006, 02:39:28 pm »
I am sooooo bummed out.

I wrote a special getting fancy chapter today, and about 3 hours ago my counter server stopped recording!  It's like looking at a stopped clock!

Eeeeee!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ballymay

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #4911 on: October 03, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »
Louise,

That's because it went through the roof.... it can only take so much ;D

Jane

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #4912 on: October 03, 2006, 03:05:12 pm »
oh Louise that special getting fancy chapter was indeed very special, and not just all the getting fancy part of it.

SPOILER SPOILER

"He was beginning to trust in the predictability of their love, to count on this pleasure as if it was to be expected"

brillant, what a wonderful statement. Such an important thought right in the middle of some serious getting fancy. I love the way you do that louise. thanks  :-*

Fabienne
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4913 on: October 03, 2006, 03:13:27 pm »
Louise,

That's because it went through the roof.... it can only take so much ;D

Jane

you may have a point!!!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4914 on: October 03, 2006, 03:15:31 pm »
oh Louise that special getting fancy chapter was indeed very special, and not just all the getting fancy part of it.

SPOILER SPOILER

"He was beginning to trust in the predictability of their love, to count on this pleasure as if it was to be expected"

brillant, what a wonderful statement. Such an important thought right in the middle of some serious getting fancy. I love the way you do that louise. thanks  :-*

Fabienne

thank you Fabienne.  One thing that became clear to me as I was starting to write the Ennis and Ellery portions of this book is that their vacation, their vigil together on Brokeback, the family interactions, Ellery's chest injury and their solitary time together in Dubois effected a change between them, so that rather than the courtship and negotiation elements that were a part of the first several books - they are settling into a more permanent state of mind... a marriage, as Wes would say.

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4915 on: October 03, 2006, 03:43:51 pm »
thank you Fabienne.  One thing that became clear to me as I was starting to write the Ennis and Ellery portions of this book is that their vacation, their vigil together on Brokeback, the family interactions, Ellery's chest injury and their solitary time together in Dubois effected a change between them, so that rather than the courtship and negotiation elements that were a part of the first several books - they are settling into a more permanent state of mind... a marriage, as Wes would say

Louise,  I was thinking the same thing.  The guys are really emotionally ready to commit.  They have delt with each others "stuff" Ya know?  Ellery dealing with Jack's ghost, Ennis's family, and Ennis dealing with Ellery's job, Beagle and Ellery's health issues and they are still there for each other. It's time.  Take the plunge. 

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4916 on: October 03, 2006, 03:54:45 pm »
Louise,  I was thinking the same thing.  The guys are really emotionally ready to commit.  They have delt with each others "stuff" Ya know?  Ellery dealing with Jack's ghost, Ennis's family, and Ennis dealing with Ellery's job, Beagle and Ellery's health issues and they are still there for each other. It's time.  Take the plunge. 

This happened in the last chapter of The Long Way Home, where Ennis and Ellery talk about feelling engaged.

Ennis took a breath, and let it out shakily. “Yer upset about what I said up there, about wantin ta be buried with Jack,” he said, his voice colorless, his face still as stone.

“I was upset. Mainly cause I was a little scared. Every time you go up there I got the wild idea you ain’t gonna come back down. Ya got that look in yer eye, boy, when you was up there, a look I never saw there. An I thought – his heart is already spoken for. But –“

“Ellery –“ Ennis tried to interrupt, and Ellery held up his hand.

“Please, Ennis, just let me say it. I got ta be honest here. Ya proved me wrong. You ain’t never gonna treat me like Jack cause I ain’t Jack, an you ain’t never gonna love me like Jack, an that’s a good thing. I don’t want ta take that away from ya, an if ya want ta be buried up there, then ... then that’s okay by me.”

“Oh.” Ennis seemed surprised by the declaration.

“I ain’t done here. I just want ya ta know... I am in this for the long haul, Ennis. I love you an I want you, an I ain’t never felt this way about nobody before. I want there ta be no doubt that I belong ta you, an that you belong ta me, like you said that night when we made that toast. I like ta think... that was us gettin engaged.”

“I guess it was.”

“I want ta get somethin for our engagement, Ennis. I want ta give ya somethin that tells ya I am committed to ya. A token.”
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4917 on: October 03, 2006, 04:12:38 pm »
hey folks,

Natali and I are chatting in the chat room about the latest developments in Laramie... if you havent tried it out yet, give Chat a chance by clicking on the red lips at the top of the screen where it says "chat" and come talk to us!

Offline gn411

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4918 on: October 03, 2006, 04:19:30 pm »
This happened in the last chapter of The Long Way Home, where Ennis and Ellery talk about feelling engaged

I was thinking of something more public.  The acceptance of the token, telling Wes and Edna, Ennis' s girls and their friends. Take the plung guys, easy to have the conversation as pillow talk, but going public, even to your friends..  Can Ennis do it?

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4919 on: October 03, 2006, 04:22:07 pm »
you could... get phillip to reset your password if you like.
                    how do i do that

Beautiful mind