Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3170477 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6590 on: November 12, 2006, 08:09:48 am »
thanks for your twelve cents, Jack!

As a matter of fact, my first choice for Ellery was Keith Carradine.  He wasn't 100% my vision of him, but he was the closest I could find - tall and gangly, long dark hair... missing only the slate-grey eyes (which Hugh Jackman doesn't have either.)    Keith was close, in my mind.  When DeeDee (from Bettermost) offered Hugh Jackman as a better alternative to cast as Ellery, I thought to myself (as did many other readers) :  ah HA!  So I was well into the third book (where you are, approximately) before a front-runner for casting Ellery actually emerged.

Keeping that in mind, however - casting of an actual actor is not really up to me.  It is whatever works in the mind of the reader(s).

Always good to get some first-hand knowledge of the area to help fill out our mutual obsession with all things BBM!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6591 on: November 12, 2006, 08:25:02 am »
didn't realise i wrote such a LONG post, sorry-- hey does Dupree have a pic?

want a know who i'm readin about! <g>
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6592 on: November 12, 2006, 08:32:40 am »
didn't realise i wrote such a LONG post, sorry-- hey does Dupree have a pic?

want a know who i'm readin about! <g>

Oh yes, look in the Gallery thread.  There are casting photos of many of the characters there in the first post!

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=3719.0
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #6593 on: November 12, 2006, 08:44:45 am »

Unless you have experienced Wyoming, it's almost impossible to do it justice--the poverty-which-isn't-poverty because urban and eastern standards do not apply and never have; the wealth; the 'normal' standards of the vast majority; the actual poverty by WYOMING standards; the strangeness; the openness of the people and real friendliness; the Native American nations; the feeling of ' us rural cowboys against the rest who don't get it and the lawyer who wears my hat'; the abnormal normality, the normal abnormality--like Cheyenne, living  literally on TOP of 40% of the worlds nuclear bombs { i'm serious--got a friend who has some off the backyard. He's very proud of 'his' nuclear bomb silo roflmao, says he kept NY and Berlin alive: 'Come on, let me show you ma nuclear weapons ' roflmaooooo}

And no i don't live there. Yet.  I'm just another guy who is in love with the High Plains just to the north of me, and the people who inhabit them. Most of my state of  thinks Wyoming is waaay wierd. It is. But then so am i lol.

Hope I didn't bore the hell out of the entire thread...just wanted to add my 12 cents. <g>

Jack

Annie Proulx quoted a retired Wyoming rancher in the front of Close Range (which included the Brokeback Mountain story) who said: "Reality's never been much use out here."

Reading your first-hand account gives us some inkling about what he was talking about!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6594 on: November 12, 2006, 08:46:30 am »
.. hey does Dupree have a pic? want a know who i'm readin about! <g>

On the subject of Dupree  ;) , can I add a nominationd?

I keep thinking that Wentworth Miller from "Prison Break" will be PERFECT for Dupree.  He has the millitary, good-guy look, looks the right age, and is drop-dead gorgeous in a not too obvious way  ;)

He'll just have to beef- up a bit, and use brown contacts (as it is, he is almost too good-looking .. ;) )

p.s - sorry, don't know how to post a picture of him

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #6595 on: November 12, 2006, 08:52:52 am »
anyone can put forth a candidate for a character, certainly. I am sure someone can come up with a pic of Wentworth Miller!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6596 on: November 12, 2006, 09:02:09 am »

;D

I SO agree RonitR ~ he is just too gorgeous.....*sigh...*

Hope you like  ;D

I'll try and find a lovely close-up of his face! Noo trouble at all!  ::)

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6597 on: November 12, 2006, 09:22:39 am »
Er... yes,  I like.A lot. Thank you Bigheart !!

Of course, in "Prison Break" he looks serious (and a little sweaty) most of the time, which is SOOO right for Dupree (IMHO).

Damn, can you imagine the ratings of a TV series with him and Rupert E as the male co-leads?? We really need to talk Louise out of disliking writing for T.V 8)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 09:24:56 am by RonitR »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #6598 on: November 12, 2006, 09:28:53 am »
Afternoon peeps, ello June. :-* ;)
So, what are the two sexiest men in the world getting up to today then Louise? I could do with something to warm me up.Its nice and bright over here but it,s cold. :(

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #6599 on: November 12, 2006, 09:30:51 am »

;D