Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 553017 times)

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1590 on: February 02, 2007, 09:02:30 pm »
SPOILER

If I remember correctly, way back in Taking Chances there were some exchanges between Ennis and Wayne where Ennis told Wayne that he should take some horseriding lessons. Perhaps this might actually come to pass after the Thanksgiving dinner that they are taking Wayne to? Or would that be too unlikely? 
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1591 on: February 02, 2007, 09:36:24 pm »
anything is possible.  I believe that in real life people tend to negotiate far more than the drama of fiction will allow for... and I think also that people are far more forgiving.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1592 on: February 03, 2007, 01:04:51 am »
well gang, do not look for any early update today (Saturday.)  I am off for a visit to Baden Baden once more, hopefully not my last this year, but it may be.  I am meeting a friend I never met before!

Should be home later for chat and commentary.  A heads-up - "A Small Circle of Friends" will be concluding shortly!  I cant believe I wrote ANOTHER NOVEL.  You guys tricked me into it!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

yb

« Reply #1593 on: February 03, 2007, 01:15:40 am »
But, Louise, it's only chapter 38 now!  A novel by your standard should be over 80 chapters.

Enjoy your trip to Baden Baden.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1594 on: February 03, 2007, 01:29:39 am »
hahahah those are super size books. a regular novel is about 50 to 100,000 words!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1595 on: February 03, 2007, 12:27:31 pm »
SPOILER

Just read Wayne's letter to Ellery. It has uncanny echoes to some comments made by one of Ennis' "fire and brimstone crowd" attending a catholic discussion group held in rural America on the subject of symbolism in BBM. After canvassing the significance of the mountain in terms of the miraculous and a reference to the Garden of Eden, one participant saw a parallel  between the barren desert in the Bible and the loneliness of the mountain, both symbolizing abandonment and asked the question: "Aren’t we all alone just like them and desperate to belong?”

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/06/03/04/brokeback.html

Thank you so much for the link, Jo.  I love that kind of discussion.  Yes, a common denominator of humankind is the need to belong.

Marie

P.S.  I loved the chapter title, "Running with Scissors" - but, reflecting upon the previous chapter, I also think a good subtitle might be "The Incredible Ellery." 
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1596 on: February 04, 2007, 08:29:50 am »
i figured I would wait until lunchtime Europe time to see how many people are refreshing!

muahahaha

http://louisev.livejournal.com/208319.html  "39.  It's My Party and I'll Growl if I Want To"

And read my blog to find out what I am spending all of my time doing right now and why you get updates so slowly.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1597 on: February 04, 2007, 09:06:43 am »
SPOILER: Chapter 39

I'm getting confused over the timeline I guess.     Nick doesn't work there anymore?     I thought the girls were living over the bar?      <shrugs>  ???

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1598 on: February 04, 2007, 09:11:00 am »
SPOILER: Chapter 39

I'm getting confused over the timeline I guess.     Nick doesn't work there anymore?     I thought the girls were living over the bar?      <shrugs>  ???

The whole issue with the girls moving to the apartment came up at Christmas in the Red Stallions for Christmas story. This one (A Small Circle of Friends) is taking place in the weeks between, starting when Ennis was finally healed from his legbone (Nov 12). Now we are up to Thanksgiving.

Nick is still working at the bar but moved in with Jeremy, so at the moment, the apartment is empty. Alma Jr. and Francine are still living in Riverton.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1599 on: February 04, 2007, 09:18:22 am »

Nick is still working at the bar but moved in with Jeremy, so at the moment, the apartment is empty. Alma Jr. and Francine are still living in Riverton.

Leslie

This is from Ch.39

“Some a them adorable queer guys gonna be there? Like that waiter ? Oh my lord.”

“No, he ain’t gonna be there. He don’t work at the bar no more.”

If not Nick, who was she referring to?