Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185702 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2440 on: August 01, 2006, 06:36:03 am »
I am leaving right now...talk soon, everyone!

Hugs,

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2441 on: August 01, 2006, 07:10:16 am »
Making my day!

I just got a Livejournal comment about "Taking Chances" from a reader who sat down and read it cover to cover overnight, apparently.  Here were the comments left for me.

WOW' IVE JUST SPENT THE LAST TWENTY FOUR HOURS READING THIS BOOK. I HAD READ THE STORY OF JACKS MOM GIVING HIM THE JOURNAL AND HIM DECIDING TO SAVE IT FOR LATER WHEN I COULD NEVER FIND ANY MORE TO THE STORY..SO MANY WRITERS ARE NOT WORKING AND POSTING NOW UNTIL I FIGURED THAT WAS WHAT HAD HAPPENED.I JUST JOINED DAVE CULLENS JOURNAL YEST. AND FOUND THIS AND HAVE NOT BEEN ABOUT TO PUT IT DOWN. NO SLEEP AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE COULD GET ME TO STOP READING THIS STORY. ITS TRULY THE MOST HEART RENDING STORY TO COME TO FAN FIC. ITS NOT PRETENDING IT GOT TO CHANGE HISTORY AND BRING BACK THE DEAD. THE WHOLE ORIGINAL STORY WAS ABOUT MISSED OPPORTUNITIES. THE END WAS TO LET YOU WONDER NOT ONLY WHAT MIGHT HAVE BE BUT OWHAT NOW... THIS IS TRULY SPECIAL AND A GREAT TEACHING LESSON TO SE IF ENNIS COULD HAVE BENEFITED AFTER ALL FROM THE PAST, AND NEITHER GIVE UP, AND SLOWLY WITHER AND DIE. OR COULD HE REALLY LEARN AND MOVE FORWARD.ITS TRULY THE HARDEST THING A PERSON CAN DO. THIS IS TRULY WORTH TO BE A SEQUAL TO BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. NOT JUST A AU. GREAT WOR K AND I WANT TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH I REALLY APPRECIATED YOUR STORY AND WRITING. ITS SOMETIMES BOTH SAD AND FUNNY, POINIANT AND RIDICULOUS. I JUST LOVE IT.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2442 on: August 01, 2006, 07:13:31 am »
All right, informal E&E poll:

Which pet name do you find most offensive?

Pookie
Lumpkin
Snookems

Please reply in 50 words or less.

All of the above.   And in honesty, Ellery uses "Sweetheart" way too much as well.   As a guy, I find more masculine names preferable.   "C'mere Cowboy" works just as well as "C'mere Sweetheart" and seems more appropriate for Ennis.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:31:20 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2443 on: August 01, 2006, 07:16:56 am »
*FACEPALM!!!*

David, I can't believe this.  I get a comment from Leslie "Ellery hasn't called Ennis 'sweetheart' very much lately" and now a comment from you "Ellery uses 'Sweetheart' way too much".  This is one of these damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.  I have met that delicate balance of endearments where I am using them too much for you, and too little for Leslie, thus displeasing both populations!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

« Reply #2444 on: August 01, 2006, 07:20:10 am »
Louisev  I see a trend here.  Alot of us jumped in mid story and had to read all day long for several days to catch up.   

I guess that is the best testament to great writing!      No worries about disallusioned fans here.   If they find you at Dave Cullen or Live Journal and make their way to BetterMost, you know they are true E&E junkies!   

;D   David

Offline David

« Reply #2445 on: August 01, 2006, 07:27:45 am »
*FACEPALM!!!*

David, I can't believe this.  I get a comment from Leslie "Ellery hasn't called Ennis 'sweetheart' very much lately" and now a comment from you "Ellery uses 'Sweetheart' way too much".  This is one of these damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.  I have met that delicate balance of endearments where I am using them too much for you, and too little for Leslie, thus displeasing both populations!

ROFLOL!    Now THAT doesn't surprise me at all!!

As I said,  I think it is a "Guy" thing.   Guys just don't like the mushy terms of endearment.   I had an Ex-BF call me "pookie" a few times and man would I give him the "Ennis stare".  I swear he did it just to annoy me. 

I think Darlin is a good one for private moments.  I'd still cringe if I was called Darlin at the supermarket.  LOL

Don't take it personally Louisev,  you should know by now that you can't please everybody!  LOL

I'm NOT making an issue of it, just an observation.  Would be interesting to get some feedback posted by other Male E&E fans though.   

Guys?  what do ya think? 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 07:54:06 am by DavidinHartford »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2446 on: August 01, 2006, 07:51:48 am »
I think just to rub it in, I'm going to count the number of ACTUAL "sweethearts" tendered in each volume, and we can vote on "too much" or "too little."

One of the fiercest criticisms I ever got for my stories was Ennis calling Ellery "boy"  because it seemed demeaning (I think that was the criticism.)  I went through the first two books (the only two at that time) and counted up how many times in two volumes each of them called the other "boy."    Ellery called Ennis "boy" 26 times and Ennis called Ellery "boy" 5 times.  So much for who is demeaning whom!

Offline David

« Reply #2447 on: August 01, 2006, 07:59:49 am »
I see nothing wrong with E&E calling eachother "Boy".   

It just has to be used in the correct context.

"Boy go fetch me a beer"  <---Wrong!

"Boy C'mere and git on your knees"   <---Hell yes. 

"Boy, you pop the clutch on my truck one more time and Mr.Coyote will be angry"  <--oh most definately!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2448 on: August 01, 2006, 08:18:44 am »
well don't we have very very particular usage!!!

By the way it is mid afternoon in Europe and I haven't received any photographic bribery, David.

Offline David

« Reply #2449 on: August 01, 2006, 08:33:44 am »
On the way Louisev!    ;)