Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3185323 times)

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #6000 on: October 31, 2006, 06:04:31 pm »
Mmmmmm... I'd chase him round the house too! 

I'd do so much more than chasing Karen! Heh heh

;D

Thanks Milli!! We couldn't have wished for a lovelier gift.....gorgeous *dreamy sigh*

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6001 on: October 31, 2006, 06:39:16 pm »
Time to resume normal service.  ;D

SPOILERS

Well, what can we say about the past two chapters. The first one -  :o. Wow! Ennis and Ellery are just so much more relaxed and playful. They've been through a lot (haven't they though) as they discovered each other and each others strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, areas of vunerability. Now they've reached a level of real partnership, the majority of insecurites from past experiences put to rest. I'm just loving the way that they are now. The last lines of chapter 58 expressed it perfectly, them clinging together against those in the world who refuse to understand their love.

As for the Jeeves/Dupree situation - well, that's shaping up to be interesting. I think that they're just friends, but, but, who knows what a few hours in the rumpus room might lead to...

Karen

Totally OT but anyone else out there following Torchwood (Dr Who spinoff on the BBC). It's fab and the lead guy John Barrowman is lush! I can just see him propping up the bar at the Red Stallion, and being very popular indeed! If any suitable new characters crop up I might have to propose him.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6002 on: October 31, 2006, 07:08:33 pm »
Normal service resuming ..and off I go on another tangent here ..

Leslie talked of closing the Jeeves Poll but it still looks open..we better decide on Jeeves before the Saga ends!!  ;D
So far, Rupert is winning with 38.1 % of the votes ..

Can we just call him the winner and add him to the Gallery already? lol..
(can ya tell I voted for him?  :P )

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #6003 on: October 31, 2006, 07:40:16 pm »
he'll do, but he needs a little grey at the temples methinks.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #6004 on: October 31, 2006, 08:15:13 pm »
I'll go with Rupert since my main man, Pastor Fred, seems to be losing handily...sorry, Fred!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6005 on: October 31, 2006, 10:38:59 pm »
I was just reading Chapter 61 and realised we don't have the A.D.A. Samuelson yet ..
So how about these options?  I can't remember if she is supposed to be blonde or not, but #3 is my pick!  :)

Okay, back to reading ..lol

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6006 on: October 31, 2006, 11:15:53 pm »
From Chapter 62 or so ..

EDNA's RASPBERRY TART recipe ..

1 cup whole milk
1/2 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
1/3 cup sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3 large egg yolks
4 teaspoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup apricot jam
2 teaspoons kirsch or brandy
1 (10-inch) pastry crust, fully baked in a tart pan with a removable bottom, recipe follows
1 to 1 1/2 pints fresh raspberries

To make the pastry cream, in a medium pot combine the milk and vanilla bean, scraping the vanilla seeds into the pot. Scald over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

In a medium bowl, mix the sugar and flour. Add the egg yolks and beat until pale yellow and frothy. Whisking constantly, add 1/3 cup of the hot milk to the egg mixture, then beat back into the hot milk. Return to medium heat, and whisking constantly, cook until thick, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl, and discard the vanilla bean. Stir in the butter. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool, about 2 hours.

In a small saucepan, combine the jam and kirsch and heat until dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.

Spread the pastry cream evenly over the pastry crust. Arrange the fruit in an even, decorative pattern over the cream and brush with the jam glaze. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Basic Sweet Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 ounces (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingers, work in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water and work with your fingers until the water is incorporated and the dough comes together. Add more water as needed to make a smooth dough, being careful not to over-mix. Form the dough into a disk, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit into a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press the dough into the pan and cut until trim with the edges. Line with parchment pastry and pie weights or dry beans, and bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.

Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack until ready to fill.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6007 on: November 01, 2006, 12:51:28 am »
From Chapter 16--The Part Timer:( and our introduction to the new female ADA:

"Dupree looked up, about to answer, but Ellery had bolted out of the room. By the time he got to his feet and followed, he was already halfway to Interview Two with a very tall brunette with wide brimmed schoolmarm glasses."

So  I think we will have to keep looking cause she is supposed to be brunette. a TALL brunette, with glasses.
LOL
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 12:53:03 am by ranchgal »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6008 on: November 01, 2006, 01:05:53 am »
Ah..she is a brunette! 
The blonde above has miraculously grown darker hair ..lol  ;D

Ok..let's keep looking!

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6009 on: November 01, 2006, 01:13:08 am »
I actually could handle that change and see it working.
She doesn't have to wear glasses all the time or maybe has contacts part time. 

That picture gives a feeling of strength and being competent, without a lot of attitude.