Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9084520 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #12360 on: August 30, 2013, 08:40:49 am »
Hello Bettermost friends!

Yup, just how I feel today!  Friday before a holiday weekend, I'm hoping we'll be told we can leave earlier than usual today.  We'll see.

;D

In regards to bingo last night, it was fun!  ;D

However, part of the fun was "misbehaving" on our part.

Bingo is in a church, it's a social setting.  My mom and dad invited two of their friends, that my brothers and I had not met, so we were all just hanging out and getting to know each other during the games.

After the first 5 games were played there was an intermission, and they all went for snacks, I sat at the table.  Since I don't know names, I'll say that Yankee Cap Woman from across the room went to Brown Sweater Crone to ask how she was doing.  Brown Sweater Crone proceeded to tell her that our table was too loud and getting on her nerves, and that if we wanted to talk and socialize we should be "on the phone" and not playing bingo.  Yankee Cap Woman agreed, saying she had a table like us by her.

My brothers got back before our parents, and I told them both what I had heard, so the three of us made a point of being just a touch louder to work their nerves.  Bingo is a public place, and there is no rule that says "no talking".

The frosting on the cake wast the last game of the evening, the "full board", where every space on your board must be filled to win.  My mother's friend won that game, her first time at bingo, and the prize was $300.00.

This pissed off Brown Sweater Crone and Yankee Cap Woman to no end!  :D  In fact, Yankee Cap Woman complained to one of the bingo people that my mom's friend shouldn't have won because we were 'too loud'.

As we gathered up out things Yankee Cap Woman continued to bitch about 'loud people at bingo' and turned and gave my family the stink eye.  I caught her doing it, and gave her one of these back.

The topper is that we weren't the worst table.  :D :D  There were people laughing, almost yelling, and one person had their cell on, and I kept hearing their music play when they got a call.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12361 on: September 02, 2013, 06:48:35 pm »
Hi, Chuck!

BINGO sounds like a lot of fun.

I'm the first person to visit your blog since Friday morning?  That sure is a slow weekend!

Hope your Labor Day weekend has been a good one, and that getting back to work is not too hard in the morning.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12362 on: September 03, 2013, 07:56:07 am »

Yup, Labor day is gone, and September is here.   I wonder who came up with that 'no white after Labor Day' rule, and what purpose does it really serve?

I hope everyone had a good weekend, and the Americans had a good Labor Day weekend!  I'm feeling a little "meh" this morning, and I'm not sure why.  It will pass.

The new bowling season starts tonight, it will be fun to see my buds again! 

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12363 on: September 03, 2013, 09:41:00 am »
I wonder who came up with that 'no white after Labor Day' rule, and what purpose does it really serve?

Here's one answer, or at least an article on the subject.

http://www.wisegeek.org/why-are-you-not-supposed-to-wear-white-after-labor-day.htm

I've been told a corollary rule is, "No straw cowboy hat after Labor Day."  :laugh:

Here's another interesting article on the subject.

http://voices.yahoo.com/not-wearing-white-after-labor-day-11723614.html

Incidentally, while I was looking for articles on "No white after Labor Day," I noticed a comment from a woman who was raised in Houston, TX, who mentions that she knows the rule of "No white before" as "No white before Easter" "unless it's your debut." I've usually heard the rule as "No white before Memorial Day," but maybe the rules are different in Houston because of the climate in that region of Texas. Also, a woman from Kentucky said the rule there is "No white before Derby Day" (the first Saturday in May).
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dejavu

« Reply #12364 on: September 03, 2013, 10:17:27 am »
Have fun bowling tonight, Chuck!
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #12365 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:41 am »
As far as I'm concerned, men should not wear white shoes, ever! Except for tennis and running sports, of course. But not golf. Definitely no white golf shoes! *shudder*
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12366 on: September 04, 2013, 08:23:49 am »

That is just how I feel today!  LOL

Late night bowling + allergy issues = little sleep for Chuck.  ::)

Oh well, at least the allergies are subsiding, and I'll make up the sleep tonight.

Jeff, cool articles on the "white after Labor day" rule, thanks!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12367 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:37 am »
Jeff, cool articles on the "white after Labor day" rule, thanks!

You're welcome.  :)

Isn't there a movie where Kathleen Turner murders someone for wearing white shoes after Labor Day?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline dejavu

« Reply #12368 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:43 am »

That is just how I feel today!  LOL

Late night bowling + allergy issues = little sleep for Chuck.  ::)

Oh well, at least the allergies are subsiding, and I'll make up the sleep tonight.

Cool cat, Chuck!   :laugh:  I guess we can all identify with him at times.

Hope you do get a better sleep tonight.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #12369 on: September 04, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
You're welcome.  :)

Isn't there a movie where Kathleen Turner murders someone for wearing white shoes after Labor Day?

Beverly Sutphin (Kathleen Turner) appears to be a typical suburban housewife living with her dentist husband Eugene (Sam Waterston) and their children, Misty (Ricki Lake) and Chip (Matthew Lillard), in the suburbs of Baltimore. However, she is secretly a serial killer, murdering people over the most trivial of perceived slights, including mere faux pas.

(cut to after her trial)

Beverly is acquitted of all charges, stunning her family who vow to "never get on her nerves." Throughout the trial, Beverly had been displeased that a juror (Patricia Hearst) was wearing white shoes after Labor Day. Beverly follows her to payphone and fatally strikes her in the head with the receiver.