Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2599302 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
"B" is Bad Taste (1987)
« Reply #3300 on: March 31, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »
Directed by Peter Jackson!

IMDb:  Four dim-witted men from the New Zealand National Air and Space Defense League arrive in a small New Zealand fishing town to investigate a report of landing UFO's and take on a batallion-sized army of aliens who have massacred the town's population as part of their plans to use humans as part of their main ingredient for their intergalactic fast-food chain.

=aside=
He looks a little like Richard Nixon after a bad nose job.

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"C" is Chop Suey (2001)
« Reply #3301 on: March 31, 2008, 05:05:40 pm »

From IMDb:

This movie came out briefly in one theater in Los Angeles and then disappeared. Why I don't know, because it was a fascinating look back into the gay life in the 50's and 60's when everything was kind of hidden and hush-hush. The other fantastic thing about it was its focus on the great singer Frances Faye. Mention her name now and most people would have a blank look on their faces - which is too bad because this great talent deserves more recognition. I just can't understand WHY this movie hasn't been released on DVD. Something is wrong because every other film -- good and bad -- eventually is put on DVD. This film is GOOD..........so come on guys - get it out there!!!!!!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "B" is Bad Taste (1987)
« Reply #3302 on: March 31, 2008, 05:07:39 pm »
Directed by Peter Jackson!

IMDb:  Four dim-witted men from the New Zealand National Air and Space Defense League arrive in a small New Zealand fishing town to investigate a report of landing UFO's and take on a batallion-sized army of aliens who have massacred the town's population as part of their plans to use humans as part of their main ingredient for their intergalactic fast-food chain.

=aside=
He looks a little like Richard Nixon after a bad nose job.

I tried watching that, it's available free online, but had to stop after 10 minutes, it was so bad.  Like 'boring and stupid' bad, lol!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"D" is Diner (1982)
« Reply #3303 on: March 31, 2008, 05:14:32 pm »
It was a discussion of this movie that gave me the idea for this game, way back in October. I can't believe it hasn't been played yet!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"E" is Estomago (2007)
« Reply #3304 on: March 31, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »

IMDb:  I saw the movie at the ninth edition of the Rio International Film Festival. Estômago, a Gastronomic Story, wins four awards at Latin America's largest movie showcase. It's about Nonato (João Miguel), who immigrant from the northeast to the south of Brazil and becomes a talented cook. He uses his talent to get a better life and to get the attention of a a voracious and beautiful prostitute Iri (Fabiola Nascimento) The official jury gave "Estomago" a special jury prize as well as awards for best director and best actor (Joao Miguel). The Brazil-Italy co-production also took home the audience award. "Estomago" centers on a talented cook who aims to use his culinary skills to gain power and love.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"F" is Fast Food Nation (2006)
« Reply #3305 on: March 31, 2008, 05:52:02 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

"G" is The Gourmand (1902)
« Reply #3306 on: March 31, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »
IMDb Plot Synopsis: Here we see a fat, jolly fellow enjoying with the utmost gusto a luncheon of oysters and champagne. The film is remarkably fine photographically, and the facial expression is splendid. In fact, this is one of the best film of the kind ever made. Written by AMB Picture Catalogue (1902)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"H" is Hamburger Hill (1987)
« Reply #3307 on: March 31, 2008, 07:10:46 pm »
This will be on AMC tomorrow (Apr 1) and Apr 2.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"I" is I Am the Cheese (1983)
« Reply #3308 on: March 31, 2008, 08:09:37 pm »

From IMDb:

Not as good as the book.

I'll admit that this movie, which was based on Robert Cormier's young adult novel, must have been difficult to make. The novel jumped through many time frames and had many scenes which would have been difficult to capture on film. But it simply lacks the subtle horror of the book, and the low budget really shows. Also, why change the ending? The ending of the novel might have been bleaker, but in the movie the ending left many questions unanswered.

=comment=

If the kid on the bike looks somewhat familiar, it's because he's the same kid who played the older brother in E.T.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 09:30:02 am by Dolly Madison »

Offline BelAir

Re: "I" is I Am the Cheese (1983) - comment
« Reply #3309 on: March 31, 2008, 08:58:39 pm »

From IMDb:

Not as good as the book.

I'll admit that this movie, which was based on Robert Cormier's young adult novel, must have been difficult to make. The novel jumped through many time frames and had many scenes which would have been difficult to capture on film. But it simply lacks the subtle horror of the book, and the low budget really shows. Also, why change the ending? The ending of the novel might have been bleaker, but in the movie the ending left many questions unanswered.

=comment=
If the kid on the bike looks somewhat familiar, it's because he's the same kid who played the older brother in E.T.

=comment=

I loved this book in high school!!!  In fact, I wanted to "take" something from my high school - you know, to get back at them for the he** they put me through - so I took this book from the library, lol!  I am such a rebel!
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."